• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

OpenOffice.org

Barney Rubble

I downloaded it a while ago on advice from Neil - it's been very good so far. It's free, too, which is useful for a poor student.

Top_Cat

Well, as one of the resident Linux nerds, I've been using this for quite some time and as a free alternative, it's awesome. That said, there are several glitches which happen randomly and if you have < 128Mb RAM, expect it to swap heavily to the hard-drive.

From what I've read on the dev mailing-lists, a lot of the 'glitches' and bloat are due to the the new grokking of the old Star Office code behind it. Would be nice to re-do the whole damn thing but I'd imagine that it would be too big a feat for the open-source team behind it.

But certainly OO.Org Writer is an excellent alternative to Word. Calc is pretty ordinary compared to Excel when doing more than simple calculations (which, I guess, still caters to 95% of the Excel-using population), Impress is a very good alternative to Powerpoint and the rest are pretty good bits of software too, aside from the occasional bug. Gotta expect it when working with a piece of software which isn't quite Enterprise-standard as yet.

Sudeep

Downloaded it last night. Writer seems awesome. I love Math too, Microsoft's Equation Editor is too complicated for me.

Slow Love™

I tried it - seemed to load far slower than Star Office did for me (I got a free copy of this once, just from filling out a questionnaire).

Didn't like it much, and preferred MS Office, to be honest. Mind you, I mainly make do with Wordpad and don't do much spreadsheeting. One of the problems I often experience - I'm willing to use open source (or non-commercial) software for ideological reasons, but it's often frustrating when you find the commercial stuff preferable. Obviously when it's integrated with an operating system like MS Office is with Windows, it's extremely difficult, but I find Linux a bit intimidating in it's technical expectations.

Top_Cat

but I find Linux a bit intimidating in it's technical expectations.
Such as? I mean, I'm not trying to convert you because if Windows serves your needs, there's no reason to change but if you'd like to change, I'd seriously like to know what you have trouble with. If it's driver support then there are issues there for sure (stuff CAN be catered-for but requires a little know-how sometimes). If it's just 'using' Linux, it's a heck of a lot easier these days than it was even 12 months ago. If you get a chance, download Ubuntu Live and give it a go. It runs off the CD so won't affect your Windows install.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Top_Cat said:
Such as? I mean, I'm not trying to convert you because if Windows serves your needs, there's no reason to change but if you'd like to change, I'd seriously like to know what you have trouble with. If it's driver support then there are issues there for sure (stuff CAN be catered-for but requires a little know-how sometimes). If it's just 'using' Linux, it's a heck of a lot easier these days than it was even 12 months ago. If you get a chance, download Ubuntu Live and give it a go. It runs off the CD so won't affect your Windows install.

No-one likes a shill, T_C.... :nono: :D

Sudeep

I'm finding a bit of a problem with editing .docs with Writer, and then opening them with Word. Hmmm...

Slow Love™

Top_Cat said:
I tried out a few flavors earlier in the year. It was OK, but I really missed a lot of the software I use on a regular basis, and while the "general" usage was fine (browsing the net, using docs etc), I found that the tech side of it had a very steep learning curve after so many years of understanding Windows.

And installation of drivers and software was a bit of an issue, as well as obviously games. And running a dual boot seems pointless - if I was going to use such a thing, I'd rather have it be my sole OS, where hopefully I can do everything.

I might pick it up again some time in the future though.

lionheart

I've been using if for last last 10 months, but I've gone back to using MS Office again. It's pretty good but a lot of little things frustrate me about it. It's a great program for what it is; a free office suite, and if your on Linux or can't afford MS Office (who the hell pays to own it anymore though?) using it make sense .

Deja moo

lionheart said:
I've been using if for last last 10 months, but I've gone back to using MS Office again. It's pretty good but a lot of little things frustrate me about it. It's a great program for what it is; a free office suite, and if your on Linux or can't afford MS Office (who the hell pays to own it anymore though?) using it make sense .
:)

Shounak

Banned
Top_Cat said:
Is Linux still freeware? And can it be run parallel to Windows?