• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Paleo diet

Redbacks

Been following a slightly modified version of Paleo for about 6 months now ( I still eat cheese). I think it's pretty easy to maintain, enough 'fake' carb items are on the market now so I can still have the occasional pizza or protein bread.

It's definitely helped with inflammation, seems to be one of the benefits most people expereince. I've always had a sore right shoulder and that's gone down significantly in the last few months. I found it easy to just eat till you're full and stay in good shape. Dropped from 82 to 78kg.

Eating less meals also works a lot better for me. I like not having to eat every few hours with the endless cycle of carb high/lows.

Flem274*

123/5
slightly modified?

real paleo is grubbing around in the woods hoping for something useful like some non-toxic berries or roots then very occasionally taking down a deer

Redbacks

I can't really see an issue with Dairy, but drink Almond milk anyway as I like being in Ketosis.

One major problem for Paleo is it sells cook books but it's not much good for supplement and processed food manufacturers.

Shri

I am thinking about drastically cutting carbs from my diet starting next week. Heard of a diet where its okay to eat pretty much anything but carbs and still lose weight. Don't know what its called.

Redbacks

I am thinking about drastically cutting carbs from my diet starting next week. Heard of a diet where its okay to eat pretty much anything but carbs and still lose weight. Don't know what its called.
Ketogenic diet, just not the epileptic version (which is 92% fat, 8% protein). It's more in ratios like 70:20:10 and a could be considered a modified version of Paleo.

You can't eat 'anything' technically, but what is likely to happen is that your appetite after about a week totally disappears and it becomes easy to eat in line with requirements or to drop cals without hunger pains.

The first week 'flu' can be really tough, apparently replacement of electrolyte can mitigate the fatigue. 2-3 cups of bone broth will help, add salt to everything! and by day ~5 it's almost back to normal and you end up with almost abundant energy.

A slightly more expensive diet though than standard.

vogue

Been following a slightly modified version of Paleo for about 6 months now ( I still eat cheese). I think it's pretty easy to maintain, enough 'fake' carb items are on the market now so I can still have the occasional pizza or protein bread.

It's definitely helped with inflammation, seems to be one of the benefits most people expereince. I've always had a sore right shoulder and that's gone down significantly in the last few months. I found it easy to just eat till you're full and stay in good shape. Dropped from 82 to 78kg.

Eating less meals also works a lot better for me. I like not having to eat every few hours with the endless cycle of carb high/lows.
Am interested in this as I have had problems with both shoulders for a couple of years and if you have noticed a real difference would appreciate if you have time to point me in the right direction for further information. So I don’t have to trawl through the usual peripheral stuff. :)

zorax

likes this
I like the idea of no processed foods. I think that makes sense.

But grains and dairy have been a part of human diets of ages - if not amongst white people ancestors, then certainly amongst lots of a Asians' ancestors.

I think just go with your gut. Cut out the nonsense foods, and eat what suits your body. If grains and dairy don't jive with you, leave them out. If meat bothers you, then leave that out. Just find what works, keep it clean, control your calories, and stay as active as possible.

Ausage

Ketogenic diet, just not the epileptic version (which is 92% fat, 8% protein). It's more in ratios like 70:20:10 and a could be considered a modified version of Paleo.

You can't eat 'anything' technically, but what is likely to happen is that your appetite after about a week totally disappears and it becomes easy to eat in line with requirements or to drop cals without hunger pains.

The first week 'flu' can be really tough, apparently replacement of electrolyte can mitigate the fatigue. 2-3 cups of bone broth will help, add salt to everything! and by day ~5 it's almost back to normal and you end up with almost abundant energy.

A slightly more expensive diet though than standard.
My wife and I have been doing keto for the past month or two. We're doing a 65:25:10 F/P/C split so a bit lighter on the fat, but I must say it's working out great. I had a host of small to medium sized health problems (heart issues, stomach/acid issues, low energy, brain fog etc) that have all cleared up almost entirely since switching to the diet. The stomach issue in particular cleared up almost instantly. I've lost 5.5 kilos in 6 weeks without changing much else. My mood has improved pretty substantially as well.

I thought it would be really difficult, but I've found it easy for two reasons:
My wife has really taken to keto cooking. Eggplant lasagnas, almond meal pizzas, schnitzel using pork crackling instead of bread crumbs etc. There hasn't even been a slight drop in food quality, so my tastebuds haven't felt cheated
It's really changed the way I experience hunger. It's easier to get full and hunger is more of a gradual, steady feeling rather than an urgent need. It feels like I only need to fight my brain to stop myself eating, rather than fighting my brain and the gnawing feeling in my stomach

Didn't experience any flu like symptoms. My energy was low for the first few days, but it didn't last long. Only other drawback would be a somewhat unpleasant metallic taste in my mouth for the first few weeks but it's pretty minor. Bowel movements changed, but not for the worse per se.

I think a good rule with these sorts of diets (keto, paleo, atkins) is to try them out. You're not going to kill yourself doing it for a month. Just give one a try, monitor your weight, energy levels, brain function etc over that time and take it from there. I don't think there are any miracles, just certain diets that work better for certain people.

Ausage

But grains and dairy have been a part of human diets of ages - if not amongst white people ancestors, then certainly amongst lots of a Asians' ancestors.
Agriculture has been around for several thousand years, but humanity has been around for a couple hundred thousand and for the vast majority of that time we were hunter gatherers. That's before taking into account that our broader evolutionary path over millennia likely contained next to no grain/dairy products.

Redbacks

Am interested in this as I have had problems with both shoulders for a couple of years and if you have noticed a real difference would appreciate if you have time to point me in the right direction for further information. So I don’t have to trawl through the usual peripheral stuff. :)
This is a good calculator to work out macro's, and has pretty good explanations as you work through the sheet

keto calculator

Keto-Food-Pyramid2.jpg

anything in particular you are curious about?

A cricket example close to home, as our national team doctor advocates Low Carb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMne2yc7nVY#t=11m10s (about 4mins)

Redbacks

My wife and I have been doing keto for the past month or two. We're doing a 65:25:10 F/P/C split so a bit lighter on the fat, but I must say it's working out great. I had a host of small to medium sized health problems (heart issues, stomach/acid issues, low energy, brain fog etc) that have all cleared up almost entirely since switching to the diet. The stomach issue in particular cleared up almost instantly. I've lost 5.5 kilos in 6 weeks without changing much else. My mood has improved pretty substantially as well.

I thought it would be really difficult, but I've found it easy for two reasons:
My wife has really taken to keto cooking. Eggplant lasagnas, almond meal pizzas, schnitzel using pork crackling instead of bread crumbs etc. There hasn't even been a slight drop in food quality, so my tastebuds haven't felt cheated
It's really changed the way I experience hunger. It's easier to get full and hunger is more of a gradual, steady feeling rather than an urgent need. It feels like I only need to fight my brain to stop myself eating, rather than fighting my brain and the gnawing feeling in my stomach

Didn't experience any flu like symptoms. My energy was low for the first few days, but it didn't last long. Only other drawback would be a somewhat unpleasant metallic taste in my mouth for the first few weeks but it's pretty minor. Bowel movements changed, but not for the worse per se.

I think a good rule with these sorts of diets (keto, paleo, atkins) is to try them out. You're not going to kill yourself doing it for a month. Just give one a try, monitor your weight, energy levels, brain function etc over that time and take it from there. I don't think there are any miracles, just certain diets that work better for certain people.
Cool! I agree, it's a little difficult to start but once you find your feet and set up your kitchen/fridge, it's actually quite easy and I feel like I'm eating like a king.

I've read that it increases acetone on the breath which can cause bad breath for some people, others report no issue.

As you mention it's linked with pretty good changes for people, a lot of us will do better with stable blood sugar and lower insulin levels. Probably holds the key for reversing the western health crisis associated with the high carb-low fat last 40 years.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/
The data presented in the present study showed that a ketogenic diet acted as a natural therapy for weight reduction in obese patients. This is a unique study monitoring the effect of a ketogenic diet for 24 weeks. There was a significant decrease in the level of triglycerides, total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and glucose, and a significant increase in the level of HDL cholesterol in the patients. The side effects of drugs commonly used for the reduction of body weight in such patients were not observed in patients who were on the ketogenic diet.

vogue

This is a good calculator to work out macro's, and has pretty good explanations as you work through the sheet

keto calculator

View attachment 23860

anything in particular you are curious about?

A cricket example close to home, as our national team doctor advocates Low Carb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMne2yc7nVY#t=11m10s (about 4mins)
Thank you for this . The driver for me is really health issues. I have acid reflux and also issues with my shoulder joints and other stuff. Think this diet will help with these . Going to start asap. It looks a good fit for me. :)

Marcuss

Potentially stupid question but how do you know when you’ve actually reached the stage of being in ketosis?

Redbacks

It takes about ~2-3 days and after 3 you would be in for sure I think.

The intuitive test from there is appetite, once you feel that's gone, ketones are furling the brain. That might occur after 5 days.

Chemists sell Ketostix for diabetics also. You can pee on the strips and it will give you a ketone reading. It's not the most accurate method (depends on hydtation/adaption/current state) but answers the Yes/No question. I find that after 1 week I had no use for them though.

hendrix

Potentially stupid question but how do you know when you’ve actually reached the stage of being in ketosis?
No, that's a very good question.

The elephant in the room with these low carb diets is that very few of them actually cause you to go into ketosis on a calorically neutral diet.

1. ANY diet that is lower in calories than your required daily calories will cause ketosis. High carb, low carb it doesn't matter. Basically if you're losing weight you're probably in ketosis. Woop-de-doo.
2. To reach ketosis on a "low carb" diet that is calorically neutral, you will have to eat EXTREMELY low carb - e.g. you can't have a piece of fruit AND EXTREMELY LOW PROTEIN. Basically 80% of calories have to come from fat, and you have to severely limit any source of protein. Which is nearly impossible to do on a "paleo" (lol) diet, and the only evidence for this being useful is for treating people with epilepsy.

hendrix

As you mention it's linked with pretty good changes for people, a lot of us will do better with stable blood sugar and lower insulin levels. Probably holds the key for reversing the western health crisis associated with the high carb-low fat last 40 years.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/
Almost every diet in history causes people to lose weight if they stick to it. Any time someone loses weight their cholesterol, lipids and insulin sensitivity improves. None of the above is unique to a low carb diet.

The "western high carb low fat" health crisis is not because the message has been wrong (e.g. favour complex carbohydrates over simple carbs, lots of fruit and vegetables, limit saturated fat - good advice), it's because people haven't actually followed the message.

hendrix

Agriculture has been around for several thousand years, but humanity has been around for a couple hundred thousand and for the vast majority of that time we were hunter gatherers. That's before taking into account that our broader evolutionary path over millennia likely contained next to no grain/dairy products.
And before we were hunter gatherers we were monkeys and before that we were fish and before that we were living on primordial soup.

The overwhelming dietary evidence suggests that whole grains are healthy, nutritious foods.

hendrix

It really amazes me that medical doctors can spout crap that is contrary to what they would have learn in literally any biochemistry 101 course that they probably did in pre-med.