• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting pleads 'give us a break'.....give ME a break !!

sqwerty

I love Punter as much as any Aussie cricket fan does but I don't want to hear that International cricketers play too much cricket - NOT FROM PUNTER OR NOT FROM ANYONE !

I say to Punter - STOP WHINGING....you're getting paid a fortune to entertain us, you've got a great life, you travel the world with your mates and you play sport all the time which is what you love anyway.

You haven't got any kids (or does he... I can't remember now??) and neither do most of your mates and if you think you're working too hard you can just as easily quit whenever you want and get another job.

You're just about to take 7 months paid leave for christ's sake (from test cricket anyway) so just shut your gob, get into the nets and hit some blooody thrown downs and concentrate on getting that blooody urn back instead of whinging about how hard your life is. :@

Thank you - I feel better now. :)

sirjeremy11

Beautiful. Wish I got 7 months paid leave after travelling around the world for a living.

Reckon he was just making excuses for nearly being toppled by the mighty Bangles.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I'm over the repeating claims of too much cricket now. I think we get the point.

GotSpin

sirjeremy11 said:
Beautiful. Wish I got 7 months paid leave after travelling around the world for a living.

Reckon he was just making excuses for nearly being toppled by the mighty Bangles.
Speaking of travelling...Nah better not say- just a bit of goss.

sqwerty

Complicated said:
The threads title has some disturbing similarities with the following news article.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18880060-23212,00.html

Still I agree, Ponting did sound abit pretentious.

you're right...it does. I actually haven't read any articles on it. I just saw Pontings quote on cricinfo and when I clicked on the article it didn't come up so I didn't know what was in it.

But I assumed it would annoy me.

TOO MUCH CRICKET??? I don't get to play ENOUGH cricket....and you don't hear me complaining !

adharcric

sqwerty said:
I love Punter as much as any Aussie cricket fan does but I don't want to hear that International cricketers play too much cricket - NOT FROM PUNTER OR NOT FROM ANYONE !

I say to Punter - STOP WHINGING....you're getting paid a fortune to entertain us, you've got a great life, you travel the world with your mates and you play sport all the time which is what you love anyway.

You haven't got any kids (or does he... I can't remember now??) and neither do most of your mates and if you think you're working too hard you can just as easily quit whenever you want and get another job.

You're just about to take 7 months paid leave for christ's sake (from test cricket anyway) so just shut your gob, get into the nets and hit some blooody thrown downs and concentrate on getting that blooody urn back instead of whinging about how hard your life is. :@

You've been spending too much time with Sunil Gavaskar lately. :laugh:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Great Birtannia said:
If they cut the national team schedule down he would end up chasing $$$$$ in England rather than putting the feet up I bet.
Fair point, Warney looks a bit below-par (by his own standards) just lately & his sholuder is held together with chewing gum & will-power but he's about to play a full season for Hants.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The simple fact of the matter, for me, is that the international calender has been bloated for 20 years and more.
It's been getting steadily worse and worse in the last 10 years or so.
I don't think anyone can really get the impression of what it's like to travel so much, even if you are travelling to do something you love, unless you do it.
IMO there's too much travel in the international calender at the moment. While 7 months off might be an antidote, it's very much only a temporary one.

33/3from3.3

sqwerty said:

thats a first class rant mate and well thought out and so on
nice one :thumbsup:

andyc

I think they're pretty justified in their complaints. Yes, they have a big break coming up, but that break should be spread out in between individual tests or series, rather than having 10 tests in two months and then having a three month break.

Francis

Make no sense to me the Australia's scedule is so packed, then they have 5 free months. Same with England. I just think they should space out the series a bit.

I think there are some Australian's who should be concerned that guys like McGrath will be playing in the Ashes, and yet haven't bowled in nearly a year! Both teams wont be well practiced, but at least there's county cricket.

honestbharani

andyc said:
I think they're pretty justified in their complaints. Yes, they have a big break coming up, but that break should be spread out in between individual tests or series, rather than having 10 tests in two months and then having a three month break.
I agree. This kind of a long break could actually affect people's form and rhythm etc. Reasonable breaks between each series and between each match is the need of the hour. Not this 7 months of cricket followed by 7 months of rest stupidity.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Francis said:
Make no sense to me the Australia's scedule is so packed, then they have 5 free months. Same with England. I just think they should space out the series a bit.
Well how else could they fit in the tours?

Because of the month or so it seemed taken up with the World XI waste of time, they had to fit in 2 home series and 2 away series into a relatively short space of time when conditions allow Tests to be played.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Francis said:
Well... the weather in seasons does sorta preclude that.

oz_fan

From Cricinfo:
Malcolm Speed has hit out at critics who have accused the ICC of apparent indifference to player workloads, stating that they are "quite simply ill-informed and wrong".

Speed, the ICC chief executive, wrote in an article published on Cricinfo that the ICC was all too aware of the strain on players.

"Avoiding that cycle of problems was one reason why the ICC recently introduced its new six-year Future Tours Program (FTP) to replace the existing five year schedule," he explained. "[It] was put together following extensive consultation and has factored in guidelines, supported at the ICC Cricket Committee, by players at the captains' meeting and by player representatives, including FICA, concerning the highest volume of matches each side should be playing."

He went on to outline the demands on each country, which should mean that no teams should play more than 15 Test matches and 30 ODIs in a 12-month period, although he added that "teams rarely come close to this limit".

But he warned that some of the scheduling was outside the ICC's control and was down to the member countries themselves. "There is a reliance on members to be responsible in scheduling additional commitments above and beyond those required by the FTP - two Tests and three ODIs home and away against each other during the six-year period. The ICC recognizes the need for Members to look to maximize their revenue in order to grow the game ... but, at the same time, they have to be mindful that the players are their prime assets and overworking them would benefit no one in the long run."

And Speed said that while the strain of travelling and playing was clear for all to see, he stated that "they are engaged in their career of choice". He continued: "They are doing something that the vast majority of people that watch them in action can only dream of, and they are well-paid too. The current crop of international stars are better rewarded for their efforts than any of their predecessors.

"Players have to realise it is a two-way street. They cannot, on the one hand, complain of playing too much and then turn round and head off for a lucrative spell of English county cricket when there is a break in the schedule." He also pointed out that not all players were unhappy, and some wanted to actually play more. Speed's comments would seem to throw the onus back on the individual boards as it is the extra matches they squeeze into gaps in the schedules - such as the DLF Cup in Abu Dhabi this week - that greatly increase the time spent travelling and playing.

Son Of Coco

marc71178 said:
Well how else could they fit in the tours?

Because of the month or so it seemed taken up with the World XI waste of time, they had to fit in 2 home series and 2 away series into a relatively short space of time when conditions allow Tests to be played.
I think our home series started the same time as usual, so there wasn't really any cramming in of matches except for the fact that they played a lot of games in a row. The Superseries really just added up to more cricket.