• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Racial Slur or Misunderstanding?

Teja.

Global Moderator
Man, I was ready with my popcorn and expecting Henderson's posts to be ironically entertaining trash but they are just painfully dull to the point of being unreadable.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Man, I was ready with my popcorn and expecting Henderson's posts to be ironically entertaining trash but they are just painfully dull to the point of being unreadable.
Yup, spot on. One was hoping he'd be at least slightly suave and devil-may-care with his outré opinions, twirling his moustache as he tied foreign-born England test players to the railway line (metaphorically, one hastens to add), but his prose is as tedious as his opinions are objectionable. The "banality of evil" quote comes to mind.

I would say CW's own Dominic Cummins, but I suspect he'd take it as a compliment.

Engle

' Silva ' means woods, forest. ' da ' means ' of '. Thus, ' da Silva ' referred to people of the woodlands.

Quite appropriate seeing Joshua wielding the wood

Engle

I wrote a piece on Portuguese cricketers for this website many years ago. O Jogo do Cricket em Portugal | Cricket Web

Favourite anecdotes are Benfica getting their first football from the Lisbon Cricket Club and Leixoes SC having a cricket bat on their crest :)
Wow ! What an exhaustive article. Basically covered all the cricketers I was thinking of with Portuguese connections.

Former Chief Justice A.R Cornelius, a founding figure of Pakistan cricket had Anglo/Indian/Portuguese parentage.

The Mascarenhas name has Portugal origins, so Dimitri must have some lineage