• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Radiohead - What Have They Done?

Digital album downloads, has it

• Total voters

cpr

Taken this from another forum, where i've started pretty much the same thread, so excuse the obvious opening paragraph, but thought i'd canvas some peoples views on here about the arguments i've raised (yeah i could write the piece better, but meh, brain mashed, will do for now, will add more cohesive bits later)

AS you've probably seen, Radiohead have put their new album on the net for download ahead of the CD release in December. Rather than a set price, you can 'donate' anywhere between £0 and £100 to download the album.

So, do you think this'll catch on?

Given that on average, a band makes about £1 per album sold (rest going on overheads, label's cut etc..... the real money for bands was in touring and merchandise, but most labels now demand a big slice of that pie n all), will more and more established acts cut out the label middle man and go direct to the fans? Even if 50% of people download the album for less than £1, they'll still be making a profit. Also more people will be willing to try out a band if its so cheap, and more fans means more ticket sales and merchandise.

It'll be interesting to see what happens over the next year or so. Nine Inch Nails have just split from their record label and are a pretty good bet to do the same as Radiohead for the next album. Its been said both Oasis and Jamiroquai (yes, he's still around) are planning the same n all.

To me though, it raises the question of how bad are the smaller artists, and the next lot of breakthrough bands, gonna get it. If labels arnt getting the revenue from the stars, then there sure as hell not gonna let up on the boys at the bottom. Its not like they get much at the moment anyway. (2nd cousin of mines band got a £500,000 recording contract. Straight away most of that went back to the manager, then they had to pay studio time and stuff.... left with £5,000 each at the end of the day to live off untill they could start earning royalties, so its not exactly easy at the bottom to begin with).

Now theres always going to be a demand for new music, and will forever be artists who'd literally give all to make it, but the question is, how much will they suffer from the big bands like Radiohead leaving the labels? These new artists cant follow the leaders so to speak, they lack the knowledge or experience, or indeed the contacts, to successfully market and promote their band. They need the labels, and the labels know that. Basically the labels will have em by the bollocks, and now their big earners have gone, they will squeeze as hard as they can.

I'm sure neither Thom Yorke or Trent Reznor are broke, and i bet they've made a pretty profit from working with the labels. Have they thought about the knock on effect of their decisions? At first glance i thought that this was a great idea, more reasonable priced music, more freedom for the artists, but thinking further down the line, i'm actually concerned that this is going to be bad for music, as it'll stifle new talent coming through (labels will have to become even more profit focused, only bands who are commercially viable, rather than artistically skilled will be signed)

FaaipDeOiad

It's something labels could take on board with respect to realistic distribution methods, regardless. All music by significant artists is going to be shared via peer-to-peer networks these days, regardless of how many random people get sued. The sensible move is to embrace it and incorportate it into distribution techniques. Radiohead are still releasing a CD version of the album, after all.

cpr

Whilst i dont disagree with the move towards downloads, what Radiohead have done, and certainly what NIN will do, will take away huge chunks of income for the labels. If the majority of well established artists do the same, what effect is this going to have on labels, and their marketing of new and up and coming bands. All Radiohead benifit from this move is a bit more money and short term publicity. Is the knock on effect on bands of the future going to be devestating? Thats what i'm wondering

FaaipDeOiad

Whilst i dont disagree with the move towards downloads, what Radiohead have done, and certainly what NIN will do, will take away huge chunks of income for the labels. If the majority of well established artists do the same, what effect is this going to have on labels, and their marketing of new and up and coming bands. All Radiohead benifit from this move is a bit more money and short term publicity. Is the knock on effect on bands of the future going to be devestating? Thats what i'm wondering
I just don't see room for what you're describing. Labels already make their decisions on financial grounds in most cases, and will squeeze the life out of any artist who is desperate enough for a contract to sign what they're given. A band like Radiohead can get more or less whatever terms they want because they can go somewhere else with ease, but for new artists that isn't the case as things stand. I don't see how a few big bands taking a bigger share of the profits than they normally would is going to make any difference to how labels view new signings. They have been and will continue to be a potential money maker or a non-potential money maker, and they'll be accepted or rejected on those grounds.

This obviously is about major labels and not about labels with a specific artistic vision or whatever, which don't usually follow the same rules.

IMO, the danger of peer-to-peer file sharing to small artists is that a possible dent in over the counter sales, particularly for hard to find or poorly distributed material, is going to make more of a difference to them financially and to their prospects within the confines of a label. However, record companies have generally shifted the goalposts a bit and taken the "myspace test" style of surveying music consumers into account as well as pure record sales when determining the financial potential of an artist, because they recognise that the marketplace has changed. If Radiohead's idea catches on we'll see a similar situation arise, where record companies will attempt to adapt to the new system of music distribution and take the largest share of the profits they can. They aren't just going to tighten their belts and take on fewer artists, because that's not where profit lies in the long term.

Last edited:

cpr

I just don't see room for what you're describing. Labels already make their decisions on financial grounds in most cases, and will squeeze the life out of any artist who is desperate enough for a contract to sign what they're given. A band like Radiohead can get more or less whatever terms they want because they can go somewhere else with ease, but for new artists that isn't the case as things stand. I don't see how a few big bands taking a bigger share of the profits than they normally would is going to make any difference to how labels view new signings. They have been and will continue to be a potential money maker or a non-potential money maker, and they'll be accepted or rejected on those grounds.
My concern is this.

Yes they do already consider new acts on money making potential, and do squeeze them tight. The issue is new acts take up alot of marketing/promoting time, and in most cases its a good couple of years before they start to recoup their investment. In the meantime they thrive off the income from the already established artists, and to a lesser extent those quick fix pop acts that have 1 or 2 hits then dissapear. Take away the income from the big acts (a Radiohead album could easily earn their label £10m in royalties, after costs), multiply that by any number of big acts who go down the same route, thats gonna have a big effect on labels profits. Can they afford to make long term investments in bands, or will they focus more on quick fix pop acts, possibly signing other acts and pressurising for instant results (weilding the axe when that doesn't occur).

Dunno, personally think musics gone a bit stale recently as it is, cant see this encouraging much diversity in the next generation of acts coming through, more likely to see them stick to record labels magic 'winning formulas'. Hope its not the case, but it cant be ruled out completely IMO

Matteh

Dunno, personally think musics gone a bit stale recently as it is, cant see this encouraging much diversity in the next generation of acts coming through, more likely to see them stick to record labels magic 'winning formulas'. Hope its not the case, but it cant be ruled out completely IMO
Can't have a go at me for shunning the mainstream if that's the case.

GotSpin

I thought Album leaks pre-release were becoming less common. I know the new Kid Rock album only leaked the day before it came out. Shouldn't that count for something?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I thought Album leaks pre-release were becoming less common. I know the new Kid Rock album only leaked the day before it came out. Shouldn't that count for something?
Haha, no. If you know where to look (lol i uze limwire 4 musik) and know what you're looking for (ie. which ripping groups have the promo's and advance's) then you can get the leaks sometimes over a month before the albums hit stores.

cameeel

That could just be because nobody wants to listen to Kid Rock's new album..

Matteh

Haha, no. If you know where to look (lol i uze limwire 4 musik) and know what you're looking for (ie. which ripping groups have the promo's and advance's) then you can get the leaks sometimes over a month before the albums hit stores.
Wasn't even looking for it at the time, but found Belle and Sebastian - The Life Pursuit about a month and a half before it came out. Was impressed.

GotSpin

I know where to look, and i know it wasn't leaked until a day before.