• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby

James

Cricket Web Owner
Do anyone here see the All Blacks/Italy game last night?

What an awful performance! If they play like that against Australia we'll lose by about 20-30 points!

I guess it wasn't our full side though with Marshall, Umaga, Jack not playing.

For the record the All Blacks won 64-10.

[Edited on 6/9/02 by James]

Kimbo

I think that Kelleher is better than Marshall, although he had an off performance last night. You can't really complain too much though- it was first up game of the season, probly didnt have the combinations going.
It looked like the All Blacks were trying too hard just to get some go forward. Tactically a sound move, but when a team is trying to get to know eachother the best thing for confidence is to spin it and score some points. The Italian pack seemed quite strong, surprisingly strong.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Italy did look good in the forwards and cleaned us up at scrum time.

At least there's still another 17 games before the world cup!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
England will beat the All Blacks and Australia. Then lose to Wales and go out on points difference or something...

(Hmm.. maybe not, that would be a Group of Death)...

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
man did u so many of the handling errors we did ??

and we let them score 2 tries even !

hopefully we start patching team up if we need to beat Aus

Kimbo

I can't believe how many changes John Mitchell has made to the side.
I sort of doubt him as a coach, it's just a feeling I have... I'm not sure, what do you guys think.

James

Cricket Web Owner
13 from Canterbury, 1 from Wellington, 1 from Auckland. :O I guess that does reflect Super 12 form though doesn't it?

I hope Henry gets a chance again as he really was a top coach before he left for Wales.

Kimbo

Otago was second best side and didnt have a show. Even though Kelleher had a shit game against Italy he is still by far NZ's best halfback.
I also think Taine Randell deserves a spot.
I'm sure Marshall will prove to th selectors that he is second best, he spent the whole super 12 throwing ground grubbers. When watchin the NSW thrashing me and my dad noted that he was the weakest link.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I think the problem with Randall is that he plays a different position every season (6, 7, 8).

Mitchell seems to be wanting specalists in all positions, which gives others the go ahead, making Randall the perfect sub.

I would personally have had Cullen on the bench as well seeing as he can cover both wings, fullback and centre at a push.

Kimbo

We are lucky to have hell of a lot of depth in the fullback position. What do you think about Doug Howlett? All the commentators keep going on about how great he is, but IMO he isn't that great. He is just fast, not half the winger Wilson was in his day. He isn't particularly skilled, just a sprinter.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I share your views completely on Howlett.

I think Roger Randle is more a complete winger but that's me :P. Wilson is one of the all time great All Blacks and can't be compared with Howlett really I don't think.

[Edited on 6/11/02 by James]

Kimbo

I know, I just like harping on about Goldie, my alltime favourite.
Randle is pretty class. I was also impressed by what I saw of Joe Maddock, I don't know how old he is, if he is young he is a good prospect.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Goldie is also my all time favourite all black :)

We can't have another Cantab in there ;)

Kimbo

Good Point- GO RANDLE!!!

aaah well, even though canterbury really hacks me off with their huge talent in sports, that was a bloody awesome team, you gotta acknowledge that.