• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sky showing final free to air

flibbertyjibber

I was in the UK this June for ten days. Did not watch a game but did not hear a peep about the world cup either save the odd news blurb on TV. Nothing inside the pubs, no random billboards (if that's a thing in that august land), just the two shabby posters inside the subway. The vibe I got was of a novelty tournament which the public will get behind if Eng go the distance, like they would if Eng suddenly started playing and got good at ice hockey for example, only to promptly return to type afterwards.
Bit like the way the public got behind the womens football team then you mean?

cpr

I guess pubs don't shout 'Watch the cricket here' because the games usually start before the pub opens. I can guarantee the majority will have it on, because there's no other real live sport to compete against (though there will always be a TV tuned to At the Races...)

Howe_zat

Channel 4 will show Sky's cricket coverage from 09:00 BST before coverage moves to More 4 at 13:15 while the British Grand Prix airs on Channel 4. The cricket then returns to Channel 4 after the race.
Well that's a nice illustration of how little the free channels want to show any cricket.

flibbertyjibber

I guess pubs don't shout 'Watch the cricket here' because the games usually start before the pub opens. I can guarantee the majority will have it on, because there's no other real live sport to compete against (though there will always be a TV tuned to At the Races...)
ATR no longer exists it is now Sky Racing.

Spintolose

As I don't have Sky I'll still be in the debt of all those lovely river dacers out there for providing an often amazing service.

If any of you are reading this. A big Thankyou from the bottom of my heart - yours someone that once went to a pub in Europe and asked if they could put the cricket on all day. ☺

BSM

Well that's a nice illustration of how little the free channels want to show any cricket.
To be fair, I imagine the contract to show the Grand Prix probably stipulated that it had to be shown on the main channel.

flibbertyjibber

To be fair, I imagine the contract to show the Grand Prix probably stipulated that it had to be shown on the main channel.
And was already set in stone long before todays deal was announced.

Not like Channel 4 haven't got a channel to put it on and not a red button job. It free on tv so embrace it.

cpr

And was already set in stone long before todays deal was announced.

Not like Channel 4 haven't got a channel to put it on and not a red button job. It free on tv so embrace it.
Not to mention they've been building an entire season of highlight packages around Silverstone being their live race. Strangely C4 actually need F1 to work for them to justify the money they've put into it, especially with them trying to push W-Series too.

The cricket is just a one-off freebie really.

flibbertyjibber

Not to mention they've been building an entire season of highlight packages around Silverstone being their live race. Strangely C4 actually need F1 to work for them to justify the money they've put into it, especially with them trying to push W-Series too.

The cricket is just a one-off freebie really.
Be like if it was on BBC and clashing with Wimbledon. As long as it on does it matter what channel it is?