• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Spare Ticket for Archive Cricket Evening (London Southbank)

zaremba

I have a spare ticket for the Archive Cricket Evening at the British Film Institute on the South Bank in London this evening. Available at the special discount price of nil. Please email me on tac@cloisters.com if you'd like it.

I'm told (by wisden18 who knows about these things) that the event is held each year and it's got amazing old archive footage of great players of yesteryear (whenever that was), presented by the great David Frith.

David Frith and Clyde Jeavons pad up for another vintage selection of historic cricket footage, including the earliest shots on film (in 1928) of Don Bradman and Archie Jackson, a reminder of the genius of Jack Hobbs, Jack Badcock's precious amateur film of the '38 Australian tour, the dazzling Colin Bland demonstrating fielding, and a little retrospective gloating over England's most recent Ashes triumph. Plus Victorian gems, movie clips, audience-assisted synchronised sound effects, and Frith's peerless commentary.

Archive Cricket Evening | BFI

zaremba

Shame mate. It's on every year so let's try to do it in 2012. In fact we should try to organise a CW party together for it - I imagine there might be at least half a dozen of us up for it.

Ticket now has a home by the way.

The Sean

Shame mate. It's on every year so let's try to do it in 2012. In fact we should try to organise a CW party together for it - I imagine there might be at least half a dozen of us up for it.

Ticket now has a home by the way.
Sounds like a gem of an idea to me.

zaremba

It was bloody excellent. Colin Bland fielding. And the 1928/29 Ashes tour, and the 1938 tour, and the life of Jack Hobbs. And all sorts of other stuff.

Footage of Archie Jackson ffs.

zaremba

Looked pretty sharp. It was a BBC feature presented by Johnners from 1965 (I think). Bland showing off his ability to throw down the stumps. Arm like a catapult.

Johnners looked about 90 even then.

Loved Frith's dry wit. Every time there was a clip of Bradman with someone else (O'Reilly, Fingleton, Grimmett, Hammond) he'd drawl "they weren't great friends..."

One thing that struck me was what a big lad Stan McCabe was. Bloody big unit.

The Sean

Looked pretty sharp. It was a BBC feature presented by Johnners from 1965 (I think). Bland showing off his ability to throw down the stumps. Arm like a catapult.

Johnners looked about 90 even then.

Loved Frith's dry wit. Every time there was a clip of Bradman with someone else (O'Reilly, Fingleton, Grimmett, Hammond) he'd drawl "they weren't great friends..."

One thing that struck me was what a big lad Stan McCabe was. Bloody big unit.
Glad you enjoyed it Mr Z. Jealous as hell right here.