• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Substitute fielders in tests

SJS

Teams dont always use the 12th man for substitute duties. Its not so much a caseof cheating or such a thing than of following the laws. As long as they are clear about the substitution rule, why should their be a problem for umpires to ensure they are adhered to.

deeps

It has never been a problem before, as teams have been courteous enough not to abuse the law. It hasn't been questioned either, because it's just accepted that the opposition won't abuse the law.

However this series, england have done it on numerous occasions, and Ponting, being captain should have said something in perhaps a media outlet rather than on the field.

Ponting tried to make a pact with Vaughan at the start of the series, that if a fielder claims a catch, that it would be accepted by the batsman. Vaughan refused.

They want to win at all costs, and i know i'm making a big call, but it woudln't surprise me at all, that this win at all costs attitude, is why the ball is reversing so early....take from it what you will

greg

Only two types of cricket teams at the highest level will put "the spirit of cricket" (at its most extreme interpretation) as their number one priority.

1) Teams who always lose and don't know what to do about it
2) Teams who always win, usually without a contest.

Australia started taking an increasing interest in it due to the second, but are increasingly sounding like the first (which was formerly reserved for the English)

andyc

deeps said:
They want to win at all costs, and i know i'm making a big call, but it woudln't surprise me at all, that this win at all costs attitude, is why the ball is reversing so early....take from it what you will
:-O Controversy abounds.

SJS

deeps said:
It has never been a problem before, as teams have been courteous enough not to abuse the law. It hasn't been questioned either, because it's just accepted that the opposition won't abuse the law.

However this series, england have done it on numerous occasions, and Ponting, being captain should have said something in perhaps a media outlet rather than on the field.

Ponting tried to make a pact with Vaughan at the start of the series, that if a fielder claims a catch, that it would be accepted by the batsman. Vaughan refused.

Everyone wants to win at all costs. This is the way the game is playedtoday. If this is considered undesirable then people should say so even when there team is winning or their own players indulge in behaviour that may be dubbed 'not in the spirit' of the game.

Unfortunately, the only time one hears these complaints is from those whose teams are at the recieving end. This does not carry enough credibilty to count or weigh with anyone else.

we are all guilty of this at different times.

FaaipDeOiad

greg said:
Only two types of cricket teams at the highest level will put "the spirit of cricket" (at its most extreme interpretation) as their number one priority.

1) Teams who always lose and don't know what to do about it
2) Teams who always win, usually without a contest.

Australia started taking an increasing interest in it due to the second, but are increasingly sounding like the first (which was formerly reserved for the English)
Yeah, good call, Australia always lose.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Now we've got all the whingeing Aussies together in one thread, can someone nuke it?

I realise that there will be a little collateral damage (inasmuch as SJS and myself are in here too) but it's a price we have to pay.

Jeez, you whiney little lot. Just because your side's been unbeatable in your short lifetimes doesn't mean that's the way the world is, was and always shall be.

deeps

SJS said:
Unfortunately, the only time one hears these complaints is from those whose teams are at the recieving end. This does not carry enough credibilty to count or weigh with anyone else.

we are all guilty of this at different times.

except i'm a Pakistan supporter, and not an aussie supporter. mind you, i'd want Australia to beat England.

Slats4ever

luckyeddie said:
Now we've got all the whingeing Aussies together in one thread, can someone nuke it?

I realise that there will be a little collateral damage (inasmuch as SJS and myself are in here too) but it's a price we have to pay.

Jeez, you whiney little lot. Just because your side's been unbeatable in your short lifetimes doesn't mean that's the way the world is, was and always shall be.
woah man stop trying to take the highground on this. We completely understand that cricket domination is cyclical in nature and your perceived attitude of us as being "whiney" has nothing to do with Australias performance. There's controversy to talk about so talk about it we shall and voice our views.