• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Taste it Mayans

benchmark00

O'Doyle rules!

Though my ancient civilisations mole tells me midnight is in about 4 more hours in Mayan land. So consider this in b4 world ends.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I wonder where this myth started. Considering it's not actually a Mayan prophecy of any kind, who just randomly made it up one day? And then it somehow caught on even though all the living Mayans deny it? It's weird. Similar to the planet X type idiocy.

Red Hill

The artist formerly known as Monk
I wonder where this myth started. Considering it's not actually a Mayan prophecy of any kind, who just randomly made it up one day? And then it somehow caught on even though all the living Mayans deny it? It's weird. Similar to the planet X type idiocy.
I don't care enough to investigate the truth to this, but I think today is the date their calendar ends.

Spikey

it's when their calendar cycle ends. and then a new one starts

decided to play as pacal in civ4 in celebration but i landed on an island with no-one else so i was doomed.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't care enough to investigate the truth to this, but I think today is the date their calendar ends.
Yea, it's the long count calendar. But it's sort of like after December, you have January again. The calendar just recycles, the mayans never thought or claimed it meant the end of the world (not that it would have mattered if they had).

But apparently some people inferred that's what it meant - which is what I'm wondering. Who started it?

benchmark00

Yea, it's the long count calendar. But it's sort of like after December, you have January again. The calendar just recycles, the mayans never thought or claimed it meant the end of the world (not that it would have mattered if they had).

But apparently some people inferred that's what it meant - which is what I'm wondering. Who started it?
Jono.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Always thought the Aztecs were the superior indigenous extinct civilisation from the Americas anyway.

Could set your watch to their calendars.

cpr

Mayan calander ends, no-one preordered the new one. Basic procurement error causing the alleged end of the world. Happens to any mid sized business.