• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Ashes Article Thread

FaaipDeOiad

I'm really enjoynig Gideon Haigh's column on cricinfo about the ashes. Today's entry is top notch. Being a Taylor fan, I love the quote from him as well. :p

Interesting how positive the comments are regarding the follow-on decision too. I expected a bit more negative coverage.

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah been reading that as well and after reading his book on the Ashes, he's easily my favorite cricket writer.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
That Age audio thing was plain embarrassing. Got the Work Experience kid to do it IMO.

steds

BoyBrumby said:
Interesting little article from The Guardian on how the the 8 members of our touring party who've played Grade in Oz got on:

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/ashes2006-07/story/0,,1953018,00.html

Generally favourable, Collingwood seemingly particularly so winning the Ryder medal whilst playing for Richmond in 00/01, but the club administrator of Glenelg Seahorses where The Python spent 05/06 is less than fulsome in his praise,

"I think it's fair to say he didn't set the world on fire. I actually thought he was a very average bowler...We were staggered when he got a Test call."
I liked the bit where it said Strauss proved he could play leg spin by scoring 150 against Ian Salisbury. That's like saying he could be an olympic sprinter because he once beat a man with no legs in a race.

Ian Bell
Perth University CC, 2003-04

"He was very adept technically and they were good tracks, so any flaws could be covered. The conditions were different - Perth pitches are a lot bouncier - but he didn't change anything. He played 10 matches that season, scoring 407 runs at 45.22 with a highest score of 159. He was social and didn't shut himself away, but he kept up the hard work on his game. He was a short guy with freckles and red hair, but he was a strong character. We still remember the outrageous celebration for one of his nine wickets with his dibbly dobbers."

John Townsend, club official
:laugh: Could Bell be any more of a laughing stock?

No wonder he struggles with confidence.

Slow Love™

Mister Wright said:
Fletcher should resign or be sacked

Interesting comparison between Fletcher and Bobby Simpson.
Yeah, good points on the selection issue - the conservatism on this is likely undercutting England's bid to bowl Australia out twice and win games. But in terms of Fletcher's all-encompassing rule, it was looked on as crucial when England won the Ashes. In reality, it's probably not a good thing, and I think coach's focus should be more on the physical side of things, as well as motivation, maintaining mental focus, etc, etc. But the dictatorial approach only tends to look bad when performances start to slip.

In spite of how annoying Simpson can be, I really thought (and still do) that he was a quality coach who knew how to get the best performance out of his players. Bit old school, but that can be a good thing.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
But last Ashes, Fletcher wasn't the sole selector.

Can't believe that England don't have a touring selector...

Slow Love™

vic_orthdox said:
But last Ashes, Fletcher wasn't the sole selector.
Fair enough, but he seemed to have a disproportionate influence at the time. Maybe it was just my perception though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
BingLeeElectric said:
Who's George Chuter?
Leicester & England hooker. Rugby Union.

I just like the pic 'cos it makes him look like someone you wouldn't want to babysit for you.