• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Australian politics thread

pasag

RTDAS
Dasa said:
I don't know about that. I could see a Liberal win in 2010 if (big if) Baillieu is still at the helm.
Yeah, but the main problem is the massive amounts of factions and in-fighting in the party. If he can get everyone in the party in line, then yeah, he'd have a chance. Big 'if' though.

Johnners

FaaipDeOiad said:
The ALP will surely win the next federal election, even with Beazley in charge.
God help Australia if Kim Beazley ever becomes the Prime-Minsiter

Last edited:

Johnners

Hoggy31 said:
Why doesn't Steve Waugh just run for PM already, fair dinkum.
Would do a helluva lot better Job than Akermanis or any of the other Sports Personalities that have said they want to go into politics imo.

pasag

RTDAS
Clapo said:
God help Australia if Kim Beazley ever becomes the Prime-Minsiter
Theres little difference between him and Howard ideology wise and theres no proof to say he wouldn't do a good job. In fact I think he would be ok. I wouldn't be too upset if he was the next PM althugh I can't see it happening.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FaaipDeOiad said:
Despite being an actual party member for a while, I've only voted Labor once myself, which was in the last federal election with Latham in charge.
I don't like the Liberal Part at all, and see myself pretty left with most issues (barring a few economic ones), but I can't for the life of me see how anyone with any knowledge of politics could have voted someone like Latham in. Someone so volatile like him was never going to win. Howard may be awful, but from a leadership P.O.V, I'd rather him at the helm than Latham, and in hindsight its fairly obvious why.

masterblaster

pasag said:
Theres little difference between him and Howard ideology wise and theres no proof to say he wouldn't do a good job. In fact I think he would be ok. I wouldn't be too upset if he was the next PM althugh I can't see it happening.
I find Beazley to be indecisive and feel that he's not really a visionary. I don't know, I've never liked the guy to be honest.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Will probably vote Liberals for free public transport, tbh. :D

Haven't really given it much thought, I'm in a pretty safe Libs seat so it's all a bit "meh".

Also, expecting most state governments to stay in, simply because of the media - not bias or anything, just a lack of coverage. In between elections, state oppositions don't get enough air time unless they pull an embarrassing stunt, or an MP has committed a criminal offence. Publicity is oxygen.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Clapo said:
Voted for the first time in the QLD election this year. Voted Nationals, and will most likely always vote Coalition.

I can't stand Peter Beattie, all talk, does nothing for anywhere BUT Brisbane. QLD Health is a mess, and has been for the past 6/7 years. He's done nothing but talk about Water Issues, and honestly has no idea. Building the Goodwill Bridge, is about the biggest waste of money, as was upgrading Suncorp Stadium, and the current plan to build a bridge to some crappy musuem.

Why wasn't this money spent somewhere it was needed??? Eg. Health, Roads west of Ipswich which are absolutely appalling, Education, The Water Crisis.
Don't agree. The goodwill Bridge is great. You can get off the bus at Mater Hill and it's a 10 minute walk (at the most) to the Uni pub at QUT. We've played a few gigs there and the Goodwill Bridge has come in more than handy. Saves going all the way into the city and then walking from the mall out to the Botanical Gardens.

Although i think the QLD government should have built a major stadium at the RNA showgrounds, I don't know how anyone can say that building Suncorp Stadium was a waste of money. It is a first class sporting venue and many people say it is the best Rugby League stadium in the world.

Johnners

Mister Wright said:
Don't agree. The goodwill Bridge is great. You can get off the bus at Mater Hill and it's a 10 minute walk (at the most) to the Uni pub at QUT. We've played a few gigs there and the Goodwill Bridge has come in more than handy. Saves going all the way into the city and then walking from the mall out to the Botanical Gardens.

Although i think the QLD government should have built a major stadium at the RNA showgrounds, I don't know how anyone can say that building Suncorp Stadium was a waste of money. It is a first class sporting venue and many people say it is the best Rugby League stadium in the world.
Fair enough that the goodwill bridge may be convenient etc. but jeebers, would've put Health/Education & State-wide roads ahead some bridge, that's cost inflated each week.

Yes the suncorp stadium may be a 1st class stadium etc. but, again why hasn't such money been poured into health/education & roads. All of which are a helluva lot more important than a freaking football stadium. I'm sure the state could've survived another few years without an upgraded football stadium, and in it's replacement having far better roads, and fixing Repetes mess of a health system.

Sporting Stadiums should be seen as a luxury, not a priority imo. Yes we all love & enjoy them, but as i've said there are far more important issues on hand.

Mister Wright

Clapo said:
Fair enough that the goodwill bridge may be convenient etc. but jeebers, would've put Health/Education & State-wide roads ahead some bridge, that's cost inflated each week.

Yes the suncorp stadium may be a 1st class stadium etc. but, again why hasn't such money been poured into health/education & roads. All of which are a helluva lot more important than a freaking football stadium. I'm sure the state could've survived another few years without an upgraded football stadium, and in it's replacement having far better roads, and fixing Repetes mess of a health system.

Sporting Stadiums should be seen as a luxury, not a priority imo. Yes we all love & enjoy them, but as i've said there are far more important issues on hand.
Maybe, fair enough about the bridge, but one was needed. That side of the city was neglected.

I think you're way off the mark regarding the Suncorp Stadium. Brisbane, for years lacked a multi-purpose sports stadium. The 'Gabba is an amazing venue, but can really only stage Cricket and AFL. With Brisbane now having a first class and world recognised stadium we can attract the big sporting events which has the potential to bring in massive dollars with seating sales, corporate packages and tourism dollars. Brisbane desperately needed Suncorp Stadium, and although the sentimental hearts won out with it being built at the Lang Park location and not the more viable RNA showgrounds, it is a massive shot in the arm for Brisbane & unltimately QLD.

FaaipDeOiad

Clapo said:
The state government actually has a budget allocated for a range of needs. You can't simply put 100% of it into "education and roads", because then people will complain about a lack of spending in other areas. I'm entirely supportive of spending on health, education and other basic services, but public works projects don't take up the majority of government spending and are more often than not just an easy scapegoat for people who want to complain about something.

That's not to say there are never any public works projects that are overpriced or pointless, but building a bridge and spending money on education aren't mutually exclusive things. I mean, Queensland's spending on health care (for example) has doubled in the last 8 years, and the current budget allocates almost 50% of its total spending to "health care and education". It's not as though these things are going totally neglected.

Johnners

Mister Wright said:
Maybe, fair enough about the bridge, but one was needed. That side of the city was neglected.

I think you're way off the mark regarding the Suncorp Stadium. Brisbane, for years lacked a multi-purpose sports stadium. The 'Gabba is an amazing venue, but can really only stage Cricket and AFL. With Brisbane now having a first class and world recognised stadium we can attract the big sporting events which has the potential to bring in massive dollars with seating sales, corporate packages and tourism dollars. Brisbane desperately needed Suncorp Stadium, and although the sentimental hearts won out with it being built at the Lang Park location and not the more viable RNA showgrounds, it is a massive shot in the arm for Brisbane & unltimately QLD.
So your telling me that tourism, sport & entertainment is more important than the mess of a health system we have at the moment. As with the water situation, and our state roads. All we've seen is a whole lot of dribble from Repeat Beattie about how he's going to fix everything, yet you have to ask yourself, what has he fixed???

The health system, as i've said time & time again is a disgrace, and doesn't look like improving anytime soon. He's procrastinated about the water issue for 9 years, and in particular the last 2/3 where it was a distinct possiblity that a water shortage is on the cards. He's trying to build the traveston dam, which will solve nothing, as building another dam when there's a water shortage due to the fact that there is a record breaking drought on is in all honesty one of the worst ideas.

Roads west of ipswich are atrocious. Some of which are not suitable of doing the speed limit on. Electricity west of ipswich is pretty much the same. If brisbane had the same number of blackout as those of us on the darling downs you'd know what i was talking about. Last summer, at one stage we had no power due to lack of maintenance 7 out of 12 days. Add to that the fact that otherwise, we would be without power at least once a week, and it's not due to storm damage either.

Johnners

FaaipDeOiad said:
The state government actually has a budget allocated for a range of needs. You can't simply put 100% of it into "education and roads", because then people will complain about a lack of spending in other areas. I'm entirely supportive of spending on health, education and other basic services, but public works projects don't take up the majority of government spending and are more often than not just an easy scapegoat for people who want to complain about something.

That's not to say there are never any public works projects that are overpriced or pointless, but building a bridge and spending money on education aren't mutually exclusive things. I mean, Queensland's spending on health care (for example) has doubled in the last 8 years, and the current budget allocates almost 50% of its total spending to "health care and education". It's not as though these things are going totally neglected.
I understand that, and i understand that they aren't being totally neglected. My point was that there were far more important issues in all of queensland than a stadium. Would've though saving lives etc. should come first. But it seems in this state if your not in brisbane you might as well be in another state.

Mister Wright

Clapo said:
So your telling me that tourism, sport & entertainment is more important than the mess of a health system we have at the moment. As with the water situation, and our state roads. All we've seen is a whole lot of dribble from Repeat Beattie about how he's going to fix everything, yet you have to ask yourself, what has he fixed???

The health system, as i've said time & time again is a disgrace, and doesn't look like improving anytime soon. He's procrastinated about the water issue for 9 years, and in particular the last 2/3 where it was a distinct possiblity that a water shortage is on the cards. He's trying to build the traveston dam, which will solve nothing, as building another dam when there's a water shortage due to the fact that there is a record breaking drought on is in all honesty one of the worst ideas.

Roads west of ipswich are atrocious. Some of which are not suitable of doing the speed limit on. Electricity west of ipswich is pretty much the same. If brisbane had the same number of blackout as those of us on the darling downs you'd know what i was talking about. Last summer, at one stage we had no power due to lack of maintenance 7 out of 12 days. Add to that the fact that otherwise, we would be without power at least once a week, and it's not due to storm damage either.
All fair points. But how does putting money into Health, Education and roads equal revenue from putting money into those projects? As Fuller has said there are different budgets for all different departments of government. How do you know that the money being raised from increased use and corporate sponsorship isn't being filtered into health and education? It's not as simple as saying, "can't build a sports stadium because we need to put that money into somewhere else.".

My family owns a nursing agency, and from our position the health system in QLD is not as bad as the media beat ups make it to be. Sure, the Health system is not perfect, but it is not as bad as it is being made out.