• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The British Politics Thread

cpr

It's difficult to see how Labour can apply one of their justifications for nationalisation to this particular one. They say that what they would buy in government, possibly with bonds of dubious future value, becomes an asset but how does the network become an asset if nobody has to pay for its use?

I'm tempted to conclude that this is just another far fetched policy with a superficial attraction and one which they hope the electorate won't scrutinise too closely.
The idea being that private companies will pay for its upkeep and the like through paying to offer above standard services along the line, similar to how train companies upkeep network rail through bidding for service packages.

Network Rail are £50bn in debt.

\o/

cpr

It all depends on how basic the basic is really, there's been no talk of speed or data allowance, just 'fast fibre' like that means everythings free and magical. Its a system that either needs a public payment to use (which they've ruled out by offering it for free) or incentives for commercial entities to pay to offer a service on. IMO the only way to do that is to keep the basic really basic. ie the kind of internet your parents have which frustrates the **** out of you when you visit.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Priti Patel blocks the extraction of British children from Syria

Further evidence that she is totally revolting

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It all depends on how basic the basic is really, there's been no talk of speed or data allowance, just 'fast fibre' like that means everythings free and magical. Its a system that either needs a public payment to use (which they've ruled out by offering it for free) or incentives for commercial entities to pay to offer a service on. IMO the only way to do that is to keep the basic really basic. ie the kind of internet your parents have which frustrates the **** out of you when you visit.
Worth noting again that EU law already specifies minimum standards re: how basic broadband speeds are allowed to be

fredfertang

Priti Patel blocks the extraction of British children from Syria

Further evidence that she is totally revolting
Further evidence not required - 'tis a cast iron case

Personally I'd banish her to a remote Scottish island with nowt but the Duke of York for company

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Polls looking particularly bleak for Labour tonight.

Obviously they weren't good this far out last time either but the difference is they'd seemed to be on the up so far.

Lots of time to go and the manifestos could change a lot but things are looking so brutal I'm going to offer Niall the chance to pull out of our bet.

Niall

Obviously they weren't good this far out last time either but the difference is they'd seemed to be on the up so far.

Lots of time to go and the manifestos could change a lot but things are looking so brutal I'm going to offer Niall the chance to pull out of our bet.
Absolutely not! :ph34r:

All in etc .

Test_Fan_Only

From what I have seen and maybe I have not seen the latest polls, Labour has been going up in the polls. The problem is that the Conservatives are going up as well and probably at a quicker rate. the Brexit party and the Liberal Democrats both seem to be going down in the polls although the later not by very much. It will need something drastic to happen to turn this around for Labour as the gap is over 10 points which surely will give Boris the largest number of seats in the parliament and probably a majority.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah looking again, Labour seem unmoved or small increments but the Tories are going up 3/4 points on average this week.

And yet Furball assures me the Brexit Party withdrawal didn't benefit them :whistling

Test_Fan_Only

The Brexit Party withdrawal absolutely must help the Tories in getting more votes in the seats they hold, they do not have to worry about losing votes to them in seats they already hold.

However how much it helps them win seats depends a bit on how much of a swing there is to them or against them in the seats they already hold. If they continue to do very well it might not actually win them any seats they currently hold, but should allow them to put more resources into winning seats other parties hold.

I am an Australian and quite unfamiliar with the UK electoral system but unless the system is completely flawed the polls are showing the Tories should be quite comfortably the largest party in the parliament. There is no good news from the polls for Labour.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I've been using electoral calculus and it's constantly showing a tory majority as different poll results are pumped in.

But as I said last night a lot could change with the manifestos. The Tories had an absolute mare with theirs last time out.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah looking again, Labour seem unmoved or small increments but the Tories are going up 3/4 points on average this week.

And yet Furball assures me the Brexit Party withdrawal didn't benefit them :whistling
If they're going up in seats where the Brexit Party have stood down then it doesn't help them.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Because Labour or Lib Dem voters exist in a vacuum and therefore just tick the same box as 2017?

And in general, elections aren't fought in vacuums. Foolish to pretend the change of strategy from BXP won't change voter behaviour in seats where they do stand.