• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Unofficial New Zealand Politics Thread

Spikey

'....and MINING IN NATIONAL ****ING PARKS. and these bell-ends won a landslide second term. A FIRM HAND ON THE TILL, A GREAT BIG COCK PISSING ONTO A HUMAN FACE FOREVER.'

Athlai

Not Terrible
Can NZ withstand the embarrassment of a potential prime minister with the last name Shearer?

_Ed_

Can NZ withstand the embarrassment of a potential prime minister with the last name Shearer?
IMO, **** yes. Amazing credentials, inspiring background and a potentially superb leader. For me, the Labour leadership contest is a no-brainer. If they end up going for Cunliffe, I don't know what I'll do.

Having said that, I do like Nanaia Mahuta. No one seems to have a bad word to say about her and her work ethic. I hope the fact that she's Cunliffe's running mate won't count against her too much if Shearer wins.

Meanwhile, ACT has somehow managed to dictate education policy, despite winning less than 1% of the vote. How did that happen? Token portfolios outside Cabinet would have been more enough for that joke of a party. And it's an education policy I very strongly oppose as well.

Flem274*

123/5
I'd find ACT's supposed libertarian philosophy a lot easier to believe if they weren't led by the far right.

Speaking of which, I have a bad feeling the Conservative Party will emerge on the scene since National need some mates under MMP. In NZ we're pretty fortunate that both major parties (in their current form) are sane and won't destroy the country (unlike say the current Republican Party in the States), but we really need to keep Colin Craig and his merry band of wankers away from parliament, and I say this as someone who voted for National in the last election.

_Ed_

Yep, no disagreement from me on that. Some scary ideas in that party.

I think we might also get some unpleasant surprises amongst this bunch of unknowns Winston's bringing to Parliament with him. No one thought he'd get back in - especially with that number of seats - so we haven't heard much about them, but what I have heard has been... colourful. Climate change denial, rampant xenophobia, etc.

Flem274*

123/5
I think the guy who wants South Island independence is awesome. He's going to be a great comedy act.

It actually makes sense economically for the North Island to ditch since Christchurch is a bottomless pit financially.

And if we found oil in the Southern Ocean we could fight the world's most pathetic war over it:ph34r:.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I imagine this thread will be seen as quaint by everyone else.

Shearer seems awesome. He's got a bit under 3 years to get ready for the election, and by then his profile should be nicely built. Like Ed says his credentials are amazing and on the world stage he'll put John Key to shame.

The whole John Banks ACT thing pisses me off no end. Mostly because it can be seen as a negative for the MMP system, which is still by far the best. Still, I don't see ACT gaining popularity and getting anymore people next election.

Chewie

Yep, no disagreement from me on that. Some scary ideas in that party.

I think we might also get some unpleasant surprises amongst this bunch of unknowns Winston's bringing to Parliament with him. No one thought he'd get back in - especially with that number of seats - so we haven't heard much about them, but what I have heard has been... colourful. Climate change denial, rampant xenophobia, etc.
New NZ First MP: 'Ban the burqa' - National - NZ Herald News

It's starting already...

Days of Grace

What were some of Winston's main policies heading into this election?

Do most NZ posters think he's an attention-seeking ****, or is he alright?

_Ed_

I still can't believe the majority Jonathan ****ing Coleman got in my electorate. The guy blew smoke in someone's eyes when they asked him to stop smoking in a non-smoking area, then got punched in the face for it. Is he really the best ambassador we can come up with?

Hurricane

I didn't vote for Winston Peters but he kicked some serious ass in the debate amongst the minor parties. He had the most experience and the most charisma and made the best points. Probably got himself elected right there.

KiWiNiNjA

I didn't vote for Winston Peters but he kicked some serious ass in the debate amongst the minor parties. He had the most experience and the most charisma and made the best points. Probably got himself elected right there.
Definitely.