• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Things that won't happen in my life time

wpdavid

Not the most cheerful thread, but inspired by a friend of mine who turned 60 a couple of months ago. He reckoned that he would never see England win the football WC, Somerset win the CC or Liverpool win the Premiership. The last of those is looking a bit iffy now, which is perhaps encouraging for the rest of us.

I'll share his lack of confidence in England winning the football WC. I'll add my own lack of confidence in ever seeing a non-Tory Government. And I don't think I'll ever see England winning an Ashes series in Australia again.

Last edited:

andmark

Not the most cheerful thread, but inspired by a friend of mine who turned 60 a couple of months ago. He reckoned that he would never see England win the football WC, Somerset win the CC or Liverpool win the Premiership. The last of those is looking a bit iffy now, which is perhaps encouraging for the rest of us.

I'll share his lack of confidence in England winning the football WC. I'll add my own lack of confidence in ever seeing a non-Tory Government. And I don't think I'll ever see England winning an Ashes series in Australia again.
I dont think I'll see England win the World Cup, but reckon Somerset will win the CC. Won't comment on Liverpool for risk of jinxing it. Part of me is tempted to say I won't see Arsenal winning the Champions League or at least before I'm 60.

On a more positive note, I reckon we'll see the first openly gay Premier League footballer, hopefully fairly soon.

fredfertang

I did this a few years ago and am just and all mine came to pass - I wasn't foolish enough to go down the FIFA World Cup route but since I declared my four we have won the Ashes (three times), Reading have been in the Premiership (twice), Lancs have won the CC (once) and I have got married again (twice)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
People probably felt the same about a non-Tory government in 87, that's what makes something like this so hard.

I'll never see Tranmere in the Prem (at least not as we know it). Struggling to think of much else non political than I can say with confidence

wpdavid

People probably felt the same about a non-Tory government in 87, that's what makes something like this so hard.
1992 was the time we felt that way. This feels even worse because the people pulling the strings in the Labour Party seem to view the 1997, 2001 and 2005 victories as an aberration rather than something to aspire to. Anyway, maybe that line of thought belongs in the 'Politics' section rather than here.

Lillian Thomson

Ones own lifetime is a bit too vague given that the arbitrary and tenuous nature of existence will see people currently hurtling toward sixty outlive by many years other people who won’t be born for another ten years, that said I don’t think Elton Welsby will become Pope.