• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 5 Movie Soundtracks

Slow Love™

I was just listening to the Lost Highway soundtrack - I'd forgotten just how good it was, and how well the music suited the film. Particularly enjoyed Barry Adamson's stuff, as much as Badalamenti's, and of course, Bowie's "Deranged". Incidentally, that Rammstein track is probably the worst song ever to wake up to when you've fallen asleep with headphones on, in the dark.

Anyhow, it's up there with the best. What's your top five? I'd do a thread on scores, but I don't think there'd be many responses (though if people want to name 5 top scores in addition, go ahead), so let's keep this to soundtracks (ie more along the lines of actual songs/tunes, rather than orchestral motifs), though I'd rule out concert performances and the like (ie, Sign O' The Times, Gimme Shelter etc).

Mine (I haven't really decided on the order):

Dirty Harry - Lalo Schifrin
Lost Highway - Angelo Badalementi, David Bowie, assorted artists
Easy Rider - Steppenwolf, The Byrds, Hendrix, assorted artists
Superfly - Curtis Mayfield
Deep Cover - Dr Dre, Jewell, Michael Colombier, assorted artists

Special mentions to The Virgin Suicides, Withnail and I and Trainspotting

Would have had Tommy in the top 5 but couldn't decide if it qualified.

Isolator

Dunno about top five, but Ennio Morricone's stuff is the best I've heard. Some of the best music ever, actually.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A few of my faves...

BHC I
Top Gun
Back To The Future I
Croc Dundee (even though there's no Original Soundtrack Album)
Forrest Gump

The top 2, by a mile, in sales terms are Grease and Saturday Night Fever, of course.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The opening theme by Kenny Loggins is easily the best of his many movie soundtracks IMO.

Highway to the danger zone.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't really have a top five as such, but Withnail & I and Trainspotting would both be up there. I always thought Tarantino used music pretty well (or used to), so I'd have Reservoir Dogs and/or Pulp Fiction there or thereabouts. WRT music composed for films, I'm a massive Vangelis fan, so I rank Chariots of Fire & Blade Runner highly too.

Elsewhere I just tend to associate bits of music (usually classic) with scenes from films: Barber's Adagio For Strings from Platoon, Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue from Manhatten, Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries (sp?) from Apocalypse Now & (of course) Strauss's Blue Danube from 2001.

I've also never been able to hear Singin' in the Rain in quite the same way since seeing A Clockwork Orange either. ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You've an incredibly similar soundtrack taste to my workmate. :huh:

Clockwork Orange and Pulp Fiction feature heavily there, too.

pasag

RTDAS
Almost Famous.
South Park: Bigger Longer Uncut - Awesome musicals
Any Beatles movie - Help! in particular, but they're all gun.
Forrest Gump - Soundtrack > Movie
Chicago - guilty pleasure, but it's so good.

Can't think of many better at this late hour tbh. Special mention to Dazed and Confused, never seen the movie but I have the sound track and it's sweet. Also love Ennio Morricone's score to the Man with No Name trilogy.

cover drive man

1. Godfather love theme
2. Rocky gonna fly now
3. Lawrence of Arabia main theme
4. Godfather Imigrant
5. Indiana Jones you know what one I mean
6. Pulp fiction main
7. One flew over the cuckoo's nest main theme
8. Rocky five measure of a man
9. Rocky end of match music
10. Papilon

Last edited:

steds

I don't really have a top five as such, but Withnail & I and Trainspotting would both be up there. I always thought Tarantino used music pretty well (or used to), so I'd have Reservoir Dogs and/or Pulp Fiction there or thereabouts. WRT music composed for films, I'm a massive Vangelis fan, so I rank Chariots of Fire & Blade Runner highly too.

Elsewhere I just tend to associate bits of music (usually classic) with scenes from films: Barber's Adagio For Strings from Platoon, Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue from Manhatten, Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries (sp?) from Apocalypse Now & (of course) Strauss's Blue Danube from 2001.

I've also never been able to hear Singin' in the Rain in quite the same way since seeing A Clockwork Orange either. ;)
No Flash Gordon Brumby? An oversight, surely :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No Flash Gordon Brumby? An oversight, surely :p

Sharing the same first name as Flash's girlfriend as I do, no.

I got the piss ripped out of me when that film was first shown on telly in the early 80s. Prob has something to do with my dislike for Queen, psychologists might argue. :p

Slow Love™

Sharing the same first name as Flash's girlfriend as I do, no.

I got the piss ripped out of me when that film was first shown on telly in the early 80s. Prob has something to do with my dislike for Queen, psychologists might argue. :p
Nah, definitely homophobia, for mine.

I have similar feelings regarding Rick Springfield, though.

FaaipDeOiad

Vanilla Sky is definitely up there. Some great tunes on that soundtrack, even if their use in the film was totally self-indulgent.

As has been mentioned, Tarantino films are definitely up there. In fact, Tarantino's use of music is one of his strongest points as a director. Even Kill Bill had great music, and I wasn't keen on those films at all.

Last edited:

Matteh

High Fidelity is easily up there. Has the likes of Belle and Sebastian, Smog, Stiff Little Fingers on it.

Wicker Park is up there too, has Death Cab for Cutie, Aqualung, The Stills, Mates of State on it.