• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Umpires Follow England Out Of Zimbabwe

krkode

marc71178 said:
I think you're putting Kenya down here - do they not still have to play Ban, and they already have 8 points - 12 is going to be there or thereabouts, and a win over SL or WI and they could be in the Super Sixes!
Well, i wasn't really putting them down, but I guess it's just the mentality. Zimbabwe get a free win - Zimbabwe are a viably challenging test playing nation (as we saw last world cup too), whereas Kenya get a free win - Kenya is not a test playing nation so not many people care because the mentality is that they think they *know* Kenya won't make it.

That's why I think people are making a bigger fuss over England's forfeit than they did over New Zealand's forfeit.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
luckyeddie said:

As for the umpires, I definitely DO care. They are neither disposable nor ten-a-penny (I know that you did not say that). Do you honestly think that they are taking this drastic action to add clout to Nasser Hussain's cause, or for some other political reason? No, I think that they are genuinely worried.
The players are employed by the ECB. To an extent their decision not to play is a problem for the ECB, who are behind the players.

The umpires are employed by the ICC. By refusing to travel, they are putting their careers in potential problems, since the ICC refuse to listen to the boycott.

If the ICC do not punish the umpires somehow (dismissal?), then it suddenly makes the ECB's case a hell of a lot stronger.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
full_length said:

As for the ECB, they've been jumping up and down for the past couple of months. The decision to host the WC in SA, Zim and Kenya was made long ago. What were they doing all along? What big single catastrophy happened two months back?
They cant even spell out what they are concerned about and importantly what they are making a case of.
It is not that long ago in the grand scheme of things that England discovered they would have to travel to Zimbabwe.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
full_length said:
Then go play in Zimbabwe. England would ideally like to not play in Zimbabwe, get those four points, not pay any money even though they cant take a single stance between them, nor can they cite any official security report- government or ICC.
That's not going to happen.
I disagree here - I think the players would love to have played Zimbabwe on the field, but the situation is not such that they felt they could, so they pulled out.

And I say sod the official security reports - any death threat whether real or hoax should be enough to force people's hands, as it has in this occasion.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
full_length said:

Zimbabwe has gone out to organize a mega event that will generate a lot of revenue for them.
Oh great, so they make a lot of money - we all know exactly where that will go don't we?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
full_length said:
"FL - I wasn't aware it was different from what you said."

OK, I'm confused. I thought you were following on this line:

"Do you honestly think that they are taking this drastic action to add clout to Nasser Hussain's cause, or for some other political reason?"

sorry!

It's probably time for me to go home and get some coffee :)
I was just demonstrating that things can be interpreted different ways dependent upon where you are standing.

George W Bush today banned his daughter from coming to England because it is too dangerous.

I for one have repeatedly stated that England should have gone to Zimbabwe - if only to support HO and AF

full_length

Oh great, so they make a lot of money - we all know exactly where that will go don't we?
No we dont, and it's none of our business anyway :rolleyes:

ICC and ECB stick to cricket.. one hopes.

The money earned is actually earned by the home cricket board. What they do with it is their business :yawn:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
full_length said:
No we dont, and it's none of our business anyway :rolleyes:

ICC and ECB stick to cricket.. one hopes.

The money earned is actually earned by the home cricket board. What they do with it is their business :yawn:
Yes, and President of that Board is one Robert Mugabe, so how much of the money they get will be spent on Cricket?

full_length

Yeah you know that Mugabe is going to steal it right?

The world and ICC cant treat some Englishmen's suspicion as gospel.

It's simply irrelevant where you think the money's going. The ZCU deserves it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
full_length said:
Yeah you know that Mugabe is going to steal it right?

The world and ICC cant treat some Englishmen's suspicion as gospel.

Mugabe has had no qualms about taking farms and land from white men, so do you think he'll worry about money from a predominately White sport?

Rik

That makes a fair point but I would still doubt weather Harare is safe. I mean the Police Force is run by Mugabe, a tyrant with a history (and quite recent history) of racial actions taken against white people who, in his eyes, have committed crimes by farming the land and helping Zimbabwe's economy. I wouldn't trust anything to do with him, and if that includes the Police Force which will be providing the "security", then I rest my case.

Rik

full_length said:
So you think that Mugabe deserves the money? Oh come on, don't tell me you thought that the money would go to help Cricket in Zimbabwe! The ZCU is run by Mugabe and that means the money is controlled by him. Whatever they say about the cancellation costing them money is rubbish, yes they might get some money out of the ticket sales but in the game against Nambia the crowd consisted mainly of school children who probably got in for free. They then could claim that it costs them money to stage a game, well sorry but England decided before the game was due to be played that they would not attend it, so why spend money on setting up a game that has been cancelled? Also one last thing, they can say till they are blue in the fact that it will result in starving, now the money wouldn't be going to the starving people now would it? No, not with Mugabe in charge of it. Robert Mugabe is the person who is responsible for the lack of food, he took all the white farmers off their land and gave it to black Zimbabweans who have little or no idea how to cope with mass-farming. In fact, if England had to pay for missing the match, it would almost look like they were giving Mugabe a cash present...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Also one last thing, they can say till they are blue in the fact that it will result in starving, now the money wouldn't be going to the starving people now would it?
Even if it stays within the ZCU, I don't see what this has to do with preventing people from starving?

Rik

marc71178 said:
Even if it stays within the ZCU, I don't see what this has to do with preventing people from starving?
The excuse that if the match was cancelled it would result in the starving of 5,000 Zimbabweans, was used before and would probably be used to claim the money. The money for the match would go to the ZCU, yet they said it would be used to feed those people...