• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**.....UNOFFICIAL.....** ASHES 2007 thread

aussie

Richard said:
Gilchrist might've been got out with the round-the-wicket ploy a few times since Lord's 2005, but if it really was that simple he'd not have averaged 60 or close ITFP. No, he's played more than his share of poor strokes since Lord's 2005, too.
I watched most of the Gilchrist innings in 2003\04 and early 2004\05, too, and he quite clearly played far more poor strokes than he had done in most of the 1999\2000-2003 period. Maybe (and only maybe) that had to do with bowlers bowling better at him - and also, of course, due to the fact that he faced some quality spin in the period, something he did little of in the 1999\2000-2003 time.
Purely and simply, I'd say Gilchrist's style of play was always likely to get him into some trouble - I've always said that if he'd played in a time of better bowling and better catching, he'd not have averaged 60 as he did at first, probably more like 35-40.
fair enough..

aussie

well Gilchrist said the other day that he thinks the players should take a rest from the Champions trophy before the ashes. I dont know how wise that will be to be honest, Australia had just 2 months of after the NZ tour before the last ashes & kind of struggled. If most of the starts don't play they will just have a couple of domestic games which certainly wont be enough.

From England point of few its oobvious that the big players should definately be rested from the CT in preparation for the ashes.

LongHopCassidy

I've agreed with Gilly on numerous counts, but this one's, IMO, demanding too much.

There are fringe players who are being toyed with by the selection panel because of core players demanding special treatment.

If the ODI schedule is too much to endure then retire from ODI's. Simple.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
aussie said:
From England point of few its oobvious that the big players should definately be rested from the CT in preparation for the ashes.
Totally agree, we've no chance in hell of winning it, even if we did, so what anyway? No point risking anyone of importance imo.

pasag

RTDAS
I dont know if this is the right place to ask this but does anyone know the date when the tickets for the boxing day test come out? I signed up with Cricket Australia so I think I get first chance, does anybody have any dates? I really dont want to get screwed over.

aussie

This is interesting of late Hayden have accused England of being a one-man team since they seem to be totally dependent on Flintoff and the other day KP accused Australia of being a one-man team totally dependent on Warne, since he said if it weren't for Warne England would have won the ashes 4-1 which is true.

But i think we could look at it seriously, if England do lose Flintoff a HUGE whole is left in the side & the balance becomes messed up, since he is England best bowler by a good margin & his batting is very important coming in at 6/7.

Without Warne Australia lose an all-time great bowler, although MacGill another good spinner can come to back him up as he did with mixed results in 2003, Warne was missed & the bowlng does lose its edge for sure, but since the overall strenght of the aussie team is is better than most & even though since Ponting has become skipper he tends to overbowl Warne at times making it seem as if Australia are overly dependent on him, Australia at present can cope better without Warne being absent that England without Flintoff.

howardj

pasag said:
I dont know if this is the right place to ask this but does anyone know the date when the tickets for the boxing day test come out? I signed up with Cricket Australia so I think I get first chance, does anybody have any dates? I really dont want to get screwed over.
Mate, they're on sale - if you've signed up, as you have - from June 1.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think, even as a Restricted Member of the Melbourne Cricket Club, I won't be able to get in to the 'G using my membership on Boxing Day, it'll be Full Members only. That's the rumour about town.

If that's ever been done before, then it'd only have been for the AFL Grand Final.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
pasag said:
Yeah, your gonna have to wait in line like the rest of us
Having just checked the MCC website...

MEMBERS' ACCESS

All categories of membership (including Full, Restricted and Playing) and lady's / guest cardholders will have access rights to the Reserve for the duration of the Test match.
Bo yeah. :cool:

Only restrictions are on guest tickets.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
vic_orthdox said:
Having just checked the MCC website....
MCC? MCC?

Bunty? Did you put some comment up on this interstuffandnonsense about females being permitted in the Long Room? It's bad enough having to put up with that Heyhoe Mydeario Cheerio Flint woman coming breezing in as bold as brass, telling a chap that he shouldn't scratch himself like that because there are Ladies present - well, there damned well shouldn't be. What's that you say? Melbourne? In Derbyshire? Where old Tommy Cook the travel agent chappie was born? Does he still do those elephant-back trips to the Raj? Must take the Mem-Sahib one day if I can remember where I live. Ohhhhh, Melbourne, Australia. I suppose they're still picking Bradders?

pasag

RTDAS
Not very, and I am anticipating waiting in line for hours just 2 days before my exams. But it will be worth every moment

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
pasag said:
Not very, and I am anticipating waiting in line for hours just 2 days before my exams. But it will be worth every moment
My word - them's popular exams if you're prepared to queue two days for them.

What are you studying - gynaecology?