• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Veil or No Veil????

godofcricket

I have been hearing this for the last week, theres huge debate going on this every day in UK. I personally feel that it should be left to ones personal opinion on what they want to wear and what they dont. If its democracy, then why are people forcing the muslim women????

pasag

RTDAS
Isn't the case in point where she was a teacher and the kids couldn't understand what she was on about?

Jungle Jumbo

sideshowtim said:
It's part of their religious tradition, why should they be forced to take them off?
It's now well documented that the veil is optional - it is tradtional, but cultural tradition rather than religous tradition. The whole debate has been rumbling quietly now for the last couple of years, and came to the fore again recently when Jack Straw asked some Muslim women to remove their veils at a conference because he couldn't see their faces. The other day it was announced that a Muslim teacher was wearing it in class. Personally I don't care whether it is a democracy or not, people have the right to talk to a face rather than a piece of fabric.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Jungle Jumbo said:
It's now well documented that the veil is optional - it is tradtional, but cultural tradition rather than religous tradition. The whole debate has been rumbling quietly now for the last couple of years, and came to the fore again recently when Jack Straw asked some Muslim women to remove their veils at a conference because he couldn't see their faces. The other day it was announced that a Muslim teacher was wearing it in class. Personally I don't care whether it is a democracy or not, people have the right to talk to a face rather than a piece of fabric.
Agreed, When we go to the middle east we abide by their traditions (not drinking alcohol, taking shoes off in holy place).. Why on earth do they cry foul when we expect them to abide by ours?

Anil

Jungle Jumbo said:
first of all, the question of such rights come up only if it's a democracy and if "people" have the right to talk to a face instead of a piece of fabric, what about the rights of the woman behind the fabric, of course if she is wearing the fabric voluntarily...?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jungle Jumbo said:
people have the right to talk to a face rather than a piece of fabric.
Yes, you should have the choice regarding talking to people or not who wear veils or not. However, the given people have the choice regarding wearing a veil or choosing to talk to people who have selectiveness like the one you highlighted. By outlawing, you are denying free will to the veil wearer while the person is not harming any one.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Langeveldt said:
Agreed, When we go to the middle east we abide by their traditions (not drinking alcohol, taking shoes off in holy place).. Why on earth do they cry foul when we expect them to abide by ours?
Just because some countries restrict free will regarding facets, others shouldn't follow suit. It is not us versus them. It is giving people free will to choose or not provided they are not harming any one or any thing else.

Anil

Langeveldt said:
those societies that you refer to are not free, and you have the choice not to go there....the "tradition" in a free society is the exercise of your free will, is it not?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Anil said:
those societies that you refer to are not free, and you have the choice not to go there....the "tradition" in a free society is the exercise of your free will, is it not?
True, however nobodys tried to outlaw the veil AFAIK.. Mr Straw simply politely asked if they would remove it. Why it caused so much offence is beyond me, no harm in asking, or is there?..

godofcricket

Jungle Jumbo said:
The whole debate has been rumbling quietly now for the last couple of years, and came to the fore again recently when Jack Straw asked some Muslim women to remove their veils at a conference because he couldn't see their faces. The other day it was announced that a Muslim teacher was wearing it in class. Personally I don't care whether it is a democracy or not, people have the right to talk to a face rather than a piece of fabric.
Well u have only got one side of argument, your thinking about those "other people", what about the women whos actually the target of all this???? True people have got the right to talk to a face, but if a women feels more comfortable talking to someone with the fabric on, then it shouldnt be a big issue.

godofcricket

Langeveldt said:
True, however nobodys tried to outlaw the veil AFAIK.. Mr Straw simply politely asked if they would remove it. Why it caused so much offence is beyond me, no harm in asking, or is there?..
Nope, but it has created a big issue, not only did he just say it to her, but as far as i know he wants every women to atleast remove the veil so proper communication could be achieved, as he cant communicate without seeing anyones face 8-)

Langeveldt

Soutie
godofcricket said:
Nope, but it has created a big issue, not only did he just say it to her, but as far as i know he wants every women to atleast remove the veil so proper communication could be achieved, as he cant communicate without seeing anyones face 8-)
I dont have much experience in it, but surely it cant be as easy to hear what they are saying? Like listening to a surgeon with a mask on.. And if he mistook what they were saying, he'd probably offend them even more :laugh:

Anil

Langeveldt said:
the concept of the veil is that only the woman's husband is allowed to see her face or something of the sort(our muslim members can correct me if i've misstated anything)...now that might sound barbaric to you and me and a lot of other people....but if a woman believes in that and wears the veil voluntarily, wouldn't it cause offence if she is asked to reveal her face to other men...? when the woman is against it and is being forced to do it, that's another story altogether....

godofcricket

Langeveldt said:
I dont have much experience in it, but surely it cant be as easy to hear what they are saying? Like listening to a surgeon with a mask on.. And if he mistook what they were saying, he'd probably offend them even more :laugh:
haha well if thats your reason then no point in argument, i guess u misunderstood the whole point?

Fusion

Global Moderator
First off, as a Muslim myself, I do not believe that the veil is required. I have read much debate about the subject and have personally come to the conclusion that the veil was added as requirement after the Prophet's time. Islam does require modesty (for both women and men), but the veil is going too far.

That said, it still is a matter of personal choice. Perhaps people can claim that some countries in the Middle East don't offer a "choice" when it comes to the veil, but a democracy like the UK certainly does. If a woman wants to wear a veil voluntarily, let her. Why is it offensive or bothersome? If you can say you're offended by the veil, I can say I'm offended by a nun's outfit. Isn't a nun's outfit covering 90% of her body as well? Yet people are ok with a nun's modesty. So why the double standard when it comes to the veil? Again, it's a matter of personal choice, let's leave it at that.

godofcricket

Fusion said:
First off, as a Muslim myself, I do not believe that the veil is required. I have read much debate about the subject and have personally come to the conclusion that the veil was added as requirement after the Prophet's time. Islam does require modesty (for both women and men), but the veil is going too far..
Yeah its not required but as u said, its a personal choice.....Islam doesnt say that a women should be covered head to toe, but if some women feel more comfortable with it, no one should have any problems.

Langeveldt

Soutie
godofcricket said:
haha well if thats your reason then no point in argument, i guess u misunderstood the whole point?
That was Jack Straws reason apparently (along with "being a barrier to all the community harmonisation" drivel they spout here)

Matteh

Fusion i think you missed the point why the issue came up tbh.

It's a communication issue, similiar to the way it's rude to wear sunglasses when talking to people because part of understanding someone when they're talking is being able to see the subtle facial expressions which can alter the meaning of what comes out the mouth.

I also note that some shops(Boots for one) forbid people to enter if they're wearing hoodies(with the hood up) or caps because they obscure faces which is a security issue. Fair enough the veil is a tradional item of dress, but it shouldn't place people above laws and rules either.