• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Were any of you

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Let's not fall into the trap of thinking racism against white people is qualitatively the same as that experienced by those of other races though...

flibbertyjibber

Let's not fall into the trap of thinking racism against white people is qualitatively the same as that experienced by those of other races though...
I'm not, it just seems many on social media are making out it is the same. Social media isn't a good thing to rely on though as if you believe what you see on there Labour were going to have a landslide victory in December.

Gnske

watson said the same thing about that about the Poles

Only time I saw him deny chambers existed.

flibbertyjibber

I was unaware of racism growing up. I did laugh watching Love Thy Neighbour though.
I was unaware of it until I went to watch Shrewsbury away at Leeds and the Leeds fans were making monkey noises at our young winger. The thing that shocked me most was they had Noel Blake as their main defender and he was black and built like the proverbial but was a hero. How must he have felt when mass parts of his own fans were doing that to an opposition player but loved him?

Lillian Thomson

I was unaware of it until I went to watch Shrewsbury away at Leeds and the Leeds fans were making monkey noises at our young winger. The thing that shocked me most was they had Noel Blake as their main defender and he was black and built like the proverbial but was a hero. How must he have felt when mass parts of his own fans were doing that to an opposition player but loved him?
I don’t think the majority of fans were racist in the true sense of the word. It was just something to beat an opposition player over the head with. That doesn’t excuse it, but I don’t think it was a hatred of black people except for the odd few.

flibbertyjibber

I don’t think the majority of fans were racist in the true sense of the word. It was just something to beat an opposition player over the head with. That doesn’t excuse it, but I don’t think it was a hatred of black people except for the odd few.
The only good thing is that incidents of racism at football happen far less nowadays and when they do everyone condemns them. When I was a kid it seemed like it was acceptable at some clubs and almost a badge of honour. Thank god we have mainly moved on in sport if not in general society.

For the record my lot had a bunch of imbeciles that used to sing anti IRA songs on a regular basis and anti German songs too. I have no idea why but I am glad that is a thing of the past.

Last edited:

Uppercut

At about 15 I was hanging out in the street with some people I didn't really know and one of them started shouting racist abuse at a house where an Asian man lived. He came to the window, looked out sadly, and closed the curtains. I didn't say anything, I just splintered off and asked some of the others what the **** was up with the racist guy. He became a literal Nazi not long after leaving school.

I don't think I felt afraid to say anything, though maybe I should have been. I was just too averse to confrontation, and my go-to way of dealing with people who behaved in a way I thought was unacceptable was to bad-mouth them when they weren't there. The main reason I regret it now is that it would have looked to the guy being abused like all of us agreed with the racist, like we were a part of it, and I guess you couldn't even say that we weren't.