• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which did you enjoy more: World Cup or Twenty20 Championship?

Which tournament did you enjoy more?

• Total voters

pskov

Simple question. I am lukewarm on Twenty20 internationally (I oddly find watching the format between county teams much more enjoyable than between international teams, but that's for another thread) but have to say I actually found the recent tournament more enjoyable than the 50 over World Cup earlier in the year. Yes, WC 2007 was the worst World Cup that I can remember watching, so some may say "well it's not difficult to be more enjoyabe than that disaster of a tournament", but honestly I can't see the ICC making huge changes in the WC format for next time so we may be stuck with it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I found WC2007 awful because I was expecting something decent.

I barely took the slightest notice of the Twenty20 Championship because I knew I'd find it crap regardless of anything. :)

pskov

I found WC2007 awful because I was expecting something decent.

I barely took the slightest notice of the Twenty20 Championship because I knew I'd find it crap regardless of anything. :)
Didn't answer the question there...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, I didn't - basically, I didn't remotely enjoy either, but for wildly differing reasons.

So, in short, I can't really answer the question. :) But you know me, I like a post, me.

neutralguy

World cup in carribean was a drab for non test playing qualifying to super eights and the tournament also too long.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I disagree. The problems in West Indies were not with length, but quality. There was very little quality cricket played. Had there been, no-one would have complained about the length.

I personally find little to no quality in a Twenty20 game, so cannot enjoy it. Those who do, though, are obviously going to enjoy the Twenty20 event far, far more than the ODI one.

Swervy

I disagree. The problems in West Indies were not with length, but quality. There was very little quality cricket played. Had there been, no-one would have complained about the length.

I personally find little to no quality in a Twenty20 game, so cannot enjoy it. Those who do, though, are obviously going to enjoy the Twenty20 event far, far more than the ODI one.

Oh I don't know, most people I know (including me) basically lost interest because of the length of the tournament. People meet, get married and split up faster than it took to determine that England were crap and get out of that World Cup. Any tournament where a 4 in 4 balls spell or 36 in an over is forgotten due to ones aging process whilst that tournament is on going, is just too much.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IOW, had England (and most others) not been crap and instead most of the teams been evenly-matched (starting with the top 8 teams playing in the Super Eights) it'd have been a better tournament...

The 4-in-4-balls is highly unlikely EVER to be forgotten. I know I certainly won't, and I didn't even see it live.

sideshowtim

Banned

Agreed. The tournament wasn't too long, do we have a forum of people with the attention span of a flea or something?

Facts are, it was a one sided tournament where Australia absolutely destroyed everything in their path with some of the best One Day cricket seen in a long time. And no one but the Aussies want to see that. I don't think everyone else played poorly necessarily. I felt the Sri Lankans and South Africans were very good....It's just the Australians were too good. And no one wants to see that.

If Australia had blown away everyone in this tournament, everyone would be saying the same thing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm... the SAfricans weren't very good when they were losing to Bangladesh and being fairly clearly outplayed by New Zealand...

Otherwise they mostly were though.

Jungle Jumbo

This looks like the sort of poll the Daily Express has every Saturday.

"Should uninsured drivers be punished?", "Should the McCann children be taken into care?", "Do we feature Princess Diana in our headlines too often?"

Sanz

Agreed. The tournament wasn't too long, do we have a forum of people with the attention span of a flea or something?

Facts are, it was a one sided tournament where Australia absolutely destroyed everything in their path with some of the best One Day cricket seen in a long time. And no one but the Aussies want to see that. I don't think everyone else played poorly necessarily. I felt the Sri Lankans and South Africans were very good....It's just the Australians were too good. And no one wants to see that.

If Australia had blown away everyone in this tournament, everyone would be saying the same thing.
There definately is some truth in it, but that's not the entire reason for the world cup 2007 being so dire. But most matches were one sided even the Non-Australian matches one. Just too many unknown and weak teams, very long first round, too many controversies. It put people off.