• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the worst player to have a Cricket World Cup Winner's Medal?

harsh.ag

Sehwag should be the official spokesperson for the Indian cricket team. Ashwin can **** off.

Howe_zat

Rubbish performances in world cups they won:

Viv Richards went through the 1979 cup with a high score of 15*. He averaged 12.

Sunil Gavaskar averaged a spectacular 9 during the 1983 campaign, while also striking at less than 50.

Tom Moody's 1987 featured 8 runs and 0 wickets from his three matches. His economy rate was 7.5

It went mostly unnoticed at the time, but Harbhajan seemed to get through the 2011 cup while averaging 4 with the bat and 43 with the ball.

harsh.ag

Great stuff Howe! Gavaskar is such a legend. But would never have thought that about Viv's '79 campaign.

fredfertang

Dear old Sunny's record in ODIs generally is a bit shabby - just one ton in 108 efforts, and that at the 107th attempt is not great for an opener

OverratedSanity

Rubbish performances in world cups they won:

Viv Richards went through the 1979 cup with a high score of 15*. He averaged 12.

Sunil Gavaskar averaged a spectacular 9 during the 1983 campaign, while also striking at less than 50.

Tom Moody's 1987 featured 8 runs and 0 wickets from his three matches. His economy rate was 7.5

It went mostly unnoticed at the time, but Harbhajan seemed to get through the 2011 cup while averaging 4 with the bat and 43 with the ball.
Umm, just checked Viv's scores for the 79 WC:

28*
138*

Average: 108

grecian

In 1975 didn't Viv run out 3 of the top 5 bats in the final with some great fielding, in a 17 run win, possibly decisive.

fredfertang

In 1975 didn't Viv run out 3 of the top 5 bats in the final with some great fielding, in a 17 run win, possibly decisive.
That was just luck though - an inch or so either way each time and he'd have given away those 17 in buzzers

YorksLanka

Really? I think they are the favorites along with the Aussies and Saffers. And the Saffers are, you know... :P

But I don't think Binny will play. And thank god for that!
sorry buddy but that is only in the mind of Indians..they are a good team however will struggle on the aussie and especially the kiwi wickets..

harsh.ag

I don't set a lot of store by the Indian team in general, but I really think our batting can do almost anything in ODIs when it is in the right zone. Kohli-Rahane-Dhoni in form would be pretty difficult to quieten down, regardless of the nature of the pitches. India has won big down under in ODI tournaments in recent years.

YorksLanka

as i say,cant see it myself but good luck to you anyway...personally i call an Aus v NZ final with the Aussies winning..

YorksLanka

didnt say i would like it just what i thought would happen..:ph34r: on a serious note, it does feel almost within touching distance now doesnt it..cant wait..only thing is the time difference will make for quite a few tired mornings for me!

Lillian Thomson

Well, we have had some underdogs lift up the trophy in the distant past. And even within the favorites, sometimes there is one inexplicable squad member.

I nominate the following:
1. Sreesanth (2011)
2. Wickramasinghe (1996)
3. Aaqib Javed (1992)
4. Tim May, Greg Dyer, Mike Veletta (1987)
5. Balwinder Sandhu, Kirti Azad (1983)

The options are too many to create a poll. So, discuss please. Please keep in mind that quality in One-Day cricket is being talked about, and the test arena should not be involved :)

The weakest option out of the Australian era was probably Tom Moody. From the Windies era, probably Collis King.
Collis King comes no where near this prize. His 86 in the 1979 Final against England turned the match completely. He came in at 99 for 4 and completely out hit Viv Richards making his 86 out of a partnership of 139. Richards won Man of the Match for his century but it was King who turned the match and enabled Richards to cut loose later. It might have been a rare moment for him but it's enough for him not to be considered the worst player to have a winners medal.