• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

who will be the players of the WC?

anzac

there are the predictable group of class players that nearly always perform as it gets down to business, but there are also those that get thrown up and make an impact on the Cup - Klusener's batting in England (predictable) & Geoff Allot's bowling in the same Cup (not so predictable).

who are the picks for the class & impact players for this Cup????

:)

Eclipse

I wish It would be somone like Symonds or Harvey.

They have the talent but I really dont think there up for it especialy Symonds.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Herschelle Gibbs - SA
Jacques Kallis - SA
Ricky Ponting - Aus
Matt Hayden - Aus
Craig McMillan - NZ
Virender Sehwag - Ind
Rahul Dravid - Ind
Yousuf Youhana - Pak
Andy Flower - Zim

warrioryohannan

Dravid/Tendulkar-- India
Hayden/McGrath/Warne--Aus
Akhter/Youhanna---Pak
Kallis/Gibbs----SA
Bond/McMillan-----NZ
A Flower---Zimb
Lara/Gyles ---WI
Attapatu/Jaysuria--SL

Mr Mxyzptlk

Outstanding Batsman- Sarwan/Gayle
Outstanding Bowler- Kallis (perhaps Lawson)
Outstanding Fielder-Harmis....i mean Rhodes

anzac

so far all of these players I would put into the 'predictable' category as they have established International careers.

who will be the 'sleepers' re batting, bowling & fielding? - the players who may really kick start their international standings in the early matches??? Adams from NZ?

who are the predictions for top batsman & bowler - for me it is hard to go past the likes of Hayden / Kallis / Ponting for batsman, and McGrath (if fit) / Ahktar / Kallis for bowlers.

:)

Bazza

marc71178 said:
Or maybe not...
Why not? It's not like he's an established international and he has the talent/ability to make a big impact if things go well.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ashley Giles is a much better bowler, and as it's a front line spinner's place, surely that's what the selection should be based on?

Rik

marc71178 said:
Ashley Giles is a much better bowler, and as it's a front line spinner's place, surely that's what the selection should be based on?
He's not been amazingly effective in ODIs and Blackwell has impressed. Why not let him? Blackwell's also a better batsman and fielder...

If you've got a bowler who's better at batting and fielding than another bowler who's slightly better...you know who will be picked, the former, because ODIs are won by good fielding, a quick 30-40 or a few cheap wickets or overs...

hourn

Ian Blackwell is a very underrated spinner for mine. He spins the ball which puts him in front of Dawson for mine.

But i dont think he is the type of guy to make a huge impact on the cup. Probably just keep the runs down.

Shane Bond from New Zealand could pull off a Geoff Allot (what ever happened to him??) - Bond is a good quick with loads of potential.

Andy Symonds is likely to just explode and turn the tournament on its head, but at the same time is even more likely ot implode and put ina shocker.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:

If you've got a bowler who's better at batting and fielding than another bowler who's slightly better...you know who will be picked, the former, because ODIs are won by good fielding, a quick 30-40 or a few cheap wickets or overs...
Which has no relevance since Giles is a better fielder and a lot better bowler.

Rik

marc71178 said:
Which has no relevance since Giles is a better fielder and a lot better bowler.
It has more relevence than you think as Giles isn't a better fielder. And Blackwell's done nothing wrong with the ball, he's kept the runs down and taken useful wickets. Also Blackwell can contribute with the bat. If Blackwell starts failing with both bat and ball then let Giles in, but I'll say it again, Blackwell's done nothing wrong and Giles hasn't really done much in his previous outings to make him a 1st choice.

Anna

Originally posted by Rik
It has more relevence than you think as Giles isn't a better fielder. And Blackwell's done nothing wrong with the ball, he's kept the runs down and taken useful wickets. Also Blackwell can contribute with the bat. If Blackwell starts failing with both bat and ball then let Giles in, but I'll say it again, Blackwell's done nothing wrong and Giles hasn't really done much in his previous outings to make him a 1st choice.
Exactly!! If you'd watched Blackwell over most of the season, as I did, you'd know what he's capable of.

PY

Mark Vermeulen has had an encouraging start to his career, 2 50's in 7 games. He's my tip.......

anzac

hourn said:
Shane Bond from New Zealand could pull off a Geoff Allot (what ever happened to him??) - Bond is a good quick with loads of potential.
Allot has been forced to retire due to recurring injuries......specifically I think he has had numerous back problems - even more than eventually forced Nash to retire as well, hence his international career never really got off the ground & was so stop / start.