• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will take the most wickets?

Top 4 Standout Bowlers:

Johnson
Siddle
Andersen
Swann

My money is on Johnson.

I think it's remarkable how fast people have gone from predicting a 5 0 whitewash to saying that Eng will have the leading bowlers. When Eng were away in the Windies noone could even envisage us taking 20 wickets in a game . . .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
England could quite conceivably have the leading bowler and still be whitewashed.

Darren Gough was undoubtedly the best bowler in the 1998/99 Ashes but a bit less rain at Brisbane and a few more runs at Melbourne and it'd have been five-nil Australia. It can and does happen. One player cannot carry a team unless he's truly out-of-this-World.

oitoitoi

Top 4 Standout Bowlers:

Johnson
Siddle
Andersen
Swann

My money is on Johnson.

I think it's remarkable how fast people have gone from predicting a 5 0 whitewash to saying that Eng will have the leading bowlers. When Eng were away in the Windies noone could even envisage us taking 20 wickets in a game . . .
Don't think anyone was predicting a whitewash, but I think facile victories over the windies are creating a bit of a confidence bubble for England. I think the key lies in the surfaces, spin fiendly and Australia are in trouble, and also whether the Australian middle order (Hussey and Ponting in particular) turns up. However if Johnson get's the inswinger going, it's goodnight nurse regardless. 2-1 Australia, England win a dead rubber.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bhaji 2001 nostalgiatastic
So Tendulkar's superlative batting in the final game, and Laxman and Dravid's sheer brilliance in the previous one, didn't register?

Bhajji's effort would have merely been that of a gallant loser but for them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, was just meaning one player (batsman or bowler) being superlative is worth little if the rest is all poor to very poor.

So if England had the leading bowler it still wouldn't neccessarily mean they couldn't be BaggyGreen-washed.

cowboy up

Banned
johnson,but if swan is as good as the media say he is i reckon swan cause aussies are rubbish against spin.i havnt seen enough of him yet myself

inbox24

Swann will wreak havoc, and Anderson will be his right hand man if he can get his consistency and radar right.

Fully expect Johnson to flop out with a few lucky wickets, whilst Lee will get nothing. Hopefully Hilfenhaus can get a go somewhere and prove his swing bowling abilities backed by a tight Clark and solid Siddle otherwise we're doomed.

social

After looking at Johnson so far, I stand by my first choice: Anderson.
Basing your decision on Johnson's T20 experience doesnt hold much water

The guy has shown throughout his career that he needs plenty of work to get into a groove

In the end, I'll take a ranking of 3, an average in the 20s and consistent success combined with rapid improvement over the odd performance where the radar works every time

four_or_six

I was surprised at Johnson, I thought he looked a bit rubbish. Quite slow and bowling off a short run-up. I'm sure he'll sort himself out in the next few weeks, but it wasn't the start I was expecting when he turned up!

cowboy up

Banned
I was surprised at Johnson, I thought he looked a bit rubbish. Quite slow and bowling off a short run-up. I'm sure he'll sort himself out in the next few weeks, but it wasn't the start I was expecting when he turned up!
he is probably just saving himself for the real stuff