• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why England?

Blaze

Banned
Ok so the upcoming world cup is a huge talking point atm (even in NZ). 8/10 New Zealand people that I have spoken to are supporting England. None of them are English. This is a trend that I have encountered in all of the major tournaments in the last 8 years.

I don't understand why everyone feels something towards England? I don't think it is because they have a reasonable squad this time round because like I said above, the majority of people have always supported England... Is it the ancestor thing?

Personally I am a huge Holland fan and will also be supporting Australia...

pasag

RTDAS
I will support England as well after Australia get out, becuase there is a stonger connection with the brits than there is with Germany and Brazil and other exotic far away countries. I would be very happy if England won.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Maybe it's consanguinity? I would imagine if most Pākeha traced their family trees back far enough they probably have some roots in the British Isles.

We also share a language & a lot of culture too. There's also the perception that (no offence) but England are a rung or two above the all whites in terms of potential impact on the worls stage, but in the other sports we have in common (Union, League, Cricket) we're serious competitors (or where in Union until about three years ago.... :p).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think that they get a bit of support here because of how tragic (like, not as in pathetic, but in the Shakespeare sense) their history in the sport is, copping the rough end of the pineapple all along.

Simon

WCC Staff
imo its because of the ammount of coverage of the EPL. For Example in Australia we get around half the games live each week on Fox Sports, while the other leagues like Spain, Italy, Holland and Scotland only get 1 or 2 on ESPN and thats it.
people have come to know the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney etc...

Robertinho

I'll be going for Australia firstly, and then I don't really mind (though I'm known to have a soft spot for Deutschland)

Cloete

broncoman said:
imo its because of the ammount of coverage of the EPL. For Example in Australia we get around half the games live each week on Fox Sports, while the other leagues like Spain, Italy, Holland and Scotland only get 1 or 2 on ESPN and thats it.
Yeah pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

Craig

World Traveller
broncoman said:
You can also chuck in highlight and preview programs, and even Test cricket England have been playing in have been interrupted to show and EPL game (I remember when England played South Africa at Trent Bridge in 2003, they cut off coverage to show Portsmouth v Aston Villa at Fratton Park, with a good result for Barney's team) and then there was their review episode.

On ESPN you get at least five or six Spanish games live, especially the big derbies, and the Copa del Rey, and you get one Italian and Dutch game per week. The thing that fries me about ESPN is that they would rather show Malaga v Real Madrid or Zarazoga v some loser team, instead of the Milan derby, or when the two Milan teams take on the likes of Juve and Roma, and when Juve and Roma have a go at each other, instead we see Cagliari v Udinese :wacko: :dry: :@

Pedro Delgado

A few Aussies I've spoken to who have settled here speak of "coming home" and the "Motherland" etc, I guess it's why we get some support from Aus and NZ. Equally there are many that wouldn't **** on the country if it was on fire.

crickhowell

Im sports I generally support where my ancestors came from (All of the British Isles countries, Germany, France, Sweeden, India and Madagascar) becasue I feel a strong connection with my roots, I think I'll also support Aussie at the WC out of ANZAC spirit.

FaaipDeOiad

After Australia, I'll support England along with any team that happens to catch my fancy as the underdrog or because of a style of play I enjoy.

The main reason is what others have suggested here, I know the players, I have family ties to England and I have more clear reason to support them because of that than any other country. Plus I think they have a decent shot this time, and it would be novel to have someone other than the big four win it.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Blaze said:
Ok so the upcoming world cup is a huge talking point atm (even in NZ). 8/10 New Zealand people that I have spoken to are supporting England. None of them are English. This is a trend that I have encountered in all of the major tournaments in the last 8 years.

I don't understand why everyone feels something towards England? I don't think it is because they have a reasonable squad this time round because like I said above, the majority of people have always supported England... Is it the ancestor thing?

Personally I am a huge Holland fan and will also be supporting Australia...
Because we are very, very nice people of course.

rooney

England Will Win Worldcup

england has too many stars in their squad. gerrard and lampard ferdinand terry will win it for them.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Other than Australia I generally support Holland. However admittedly I did jump off their bandwagon when they didn't make the WC last year so I just decided to cheer on Senegal.