• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Winning the toss: How much does it affect the result?

deeps

I was wondering if anyone knew where i could find such a statistic, which showed the winning % of the teams when they won the toss

I want to see wether it indeed is a significant advantage

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Wins-Loss-Ties-Draws

Australia when toss is won: 168-88-1-85
Australia when toss is lost: 147-90-1-102

England when toss is won: 147-102-0-159
England when toss is lost: 148-143-0-150

Pakistan, oddly enough, doesn't seem to care that much:

Pakistan when toss is won: 44-35-0-73
Pakistan when toss is lost: 56-47-0-66

For India, winning toss is a bit more important:

India when toss is won: 49-59-0-97
India when toss is lost: 39-70-1-85

So yes, its a decent advantage, but not an overwhelming one. Indian pitches break up a lot on the 5th day, so its hard to bat last...that may have something to do with it. But Indian team, compared to the Pakistan team, hasn't been as good. We've never had the quality of bowlers that Pakistan has, and it clearly shows in our record.

Last edited:

deeps

hmm i can't quite work out what those numbers are?

Matches
Wins
Draws
Losses

but that doesnt add up

Can i ask your source?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well this is interesting...South Africa also relies on the toss, even more than India:

South Africa when toss is won: 58-49-0-42
South Africa when toss is lost: 43-62-0-58

Can someone more historically minded than me provide an explanation for this?

pskov

Would be interesting to see how well the toss winner do in each country. Any ideas on where it has the most effect? Subcontinent I'd guess, the pitches there fairly uniformly go from good batting tracks at the start to tricky turners at the end.