• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your First Post

irfan

This was mine in response to the Ambrose/McGrath poll circa 2005. Too often in life, we are crudely judged on our first impression - well the CW equivalent is the first post you made on this forum. So the way this works is you assess the previous poster on the quality of their first post, validity (if argument), humour (if funny) and compare it to their posting style now to see if they've vastly improved, stagnated or declined.

Just a test to see if first posts are indicative of a poster's ability

Ambrose i feel is a more dynamic bowler, besides being able to more jaffas at the start of spells he also had a multi-faceted approach (besides bowling good balls he was more aggressive,physically menacing and had a more deadly bouncer than McGrath.) But tactically, and on ability to plot the batsman's downfall even on the most lifeless of pitches, McGrath would take the cake.

Ambrose over McGrath, just. Although the gap will shorten if McGrath's recent run continues
Judge away. :)

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I had a few shockers when I first came on. My first one being an all time Greigy:

I think Inzy's patience is often mistaken as his lack of interest. Woolmer and Inzy should be able to make Pakistan a great team again by the next WC, IMO.
...and came up with this gem a month later in the 'future legends' thread:

From what I have personally seen:

Irfan Pathan
Shoaib Malik (needs a bit of work on his batting)
McMillan
Vaas
Graeme Smith

As for Sami, I haven't watched him closely enough to judge.
:ph34r:

Anil

my first post:

The West Indians had:

Gordon Greenidge
Desmond Haynes
Ritchie Richardson
Gus Logie
Viv Richards
Clive Lloyd
Jeff Dujohn
Malcolm Marshall
Michael Holding
Andy Roberts
Joel Garner

The Australians have:

Mathew Hayden
Justin Langer
Ricky Ponting
Mark Waugh
Steve Waugh
Damien Martyn
Adam Gilchrist
Shane Warne
Brett Lee
Jason Gillespie
Glenn McGrath.

Greenidge and Haynes are an all-time great opening partnership while Hayden and Langer are contemporary greats and could well become all-timers by the end of their careers. A middle order with Richardson, Logie, Richards and Lloyd in my opinion will compare favourably to Ponting, the Waughs and Martyn. Dujohn is probably the better keeper but Gilchrist is a much greater batsman. The 4-pronged pace attack of the Windies may lack variety when compared to the Aussie one, but they were way more effective and all the four are in the short list of all-time great fast bowlers. Both are exceptional fielding sides. It is a difficult choice, to be sure, but I will go with the Windies for a better(in my opinion) middle order and a much greater bowling attack. For example, a five test series between these two would probably have a 3-2(more likely) or 4-1 result for the Windies wherever it is played.

Jakester1288

How do you find your first post?

The previous posts only goes back 500 posts. So if you didn't make a thread for your first post, how do you find it?

irfan

How do you find your first post?

The previous posts only goes back 500 posts. So if you didn't make a thread for your first post, how do you find it?
Yea it gets a bit difficult if it only truncates back to the previous 500 posts - I used a combination of the search feature (i.e. I knew it was something about Ambrose) and post backtracking to figure out mine. There may be an option to sort through posts chronologically for earlier posts, but I'm not sure how.

andyc

Haha wow, crazy to think you were so young when you signed up. Or more, crazy to think you've been here that long.

In a sign of things to come, my first post was an absolute shocker. No wonder I more or less stay out of CC now:

my first post! anyway, one cool catch i saw was a couple of years ago, i think it was slater at silly mid on and the batsman, i think he miteve been english, smashed it, and as the batsman hit the ball, slater turned to the side, and the camera panned out trying to find the ball. then it turned out the ball actually went into slaters chest and he held it. couldnt help laughing

Matt79

Global Moderator
I think this is mine. Pretty happy with all of that still...

Lara isn't overrated - he's just not as young as he used to be. Border's greatness didn't stop Australia losing lots of games when we had a poor team through the eighties - it doesn't detract from his calibre.

I don't want to bring down a heap of abuse on a player I like, but how is Brett Lee overrated? He's expensive, but he takes wickets. I'd say his profile outstrips that of better, but less enjoyable to watch players - but that doesn't equate to an overestimation of his capabilities. Since getting a long overdue call-back to the test team in England, he's been the heart and soul, along with Warne, of the Aussie bowling attack - yet the very fact that it took so long for him to be recalled indicates he's underrated, not overrated. I expect to have his average thrown in my face - but talk about his strike rate instead, esp. in ODIs, but increasingly in tests. Lee gets attention because he's flamboyant on field, bowls v. quick, and hits the stumps a lot. But nobody says he's as good as McGrath, or Ambrose, etc.

How to you compile a 'over-rated XI' and not have Shoaib Akhtar? At least Lee has some heart. Shoaib is the most overrated bowler in world cricket - why was he in the World XI? when he has a good day he's devestating - but for that to happen the planets need to align, the tides have to be just right, and most importantly, he needs to feel like it. Needless to say, that doesn't happen often.

Matt79

Global Moderator
and, lol, my third post, targeting one of Richard's efforts at revising history to have SA as the better team than Australia:

by the way, its silly to say that South Africa 'nearly' beat the aussies - except for the fact they can't field (witness dropped catches - what do school coaches tell you about taking catches and winning matches), their captain couldn't adapt to the conditions, and they couldn't keep themselves fit and on the track.

You can call Smith's declaration in Sydney 'brave cricket', or, with his bowling attack of second-string pacemen and a GREEN spinner that were never going to take ten wickets you can call it criminal stupidity. I know what I think.

Smudge

Remarkably, it was my first and last analytical post in CC, on 10 May 2004:

New Zealand in Sri Lanka: He averaged 35.5 with the bat and and 29 with the ball

New Zealand in India: (from one test) Averaged 6 with the bat and 67 with the ball

Pakistan in New Zealand: Averaged 43 with bat and 27.6 with ball

South Africa in New Zealand: Averaged 94.33 with bat and 36.57 with ball.

Aside from the series in India (since it is OK for you to remove his debut series), I would think his bowling would fall into the "good" category.
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/182149-post691.html

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
My first two:
Name Xavier Rose

Handedness RHB

Keeper N but I'm not hopeless behimd the stumps

Batting Position anywhere from 3-11 but preferably 5

Bowling OS/FM

Batting Avge 20 but there's potential to improve :D

Bowling Avge 22

Sign me up. Hope i can make the B team at least but expect more 8D
Why not make Powell and Smith play? I'd drop Ganga and make Powell open with Gayle. So you'd have Gayle, Powell,Sarwan,Lara,Smith and Hinds as your batsmen with Jacobs as the wicketkeeper ( gotta learn how to play the short ball). The bowlers would be Best, Collins, Edwards(if fit) and Collymore with Gayle,Sarwan,Powell,Hinds and Smith providing support. I'd much rather have seen Jermaine Lawson in the squad than Joseph ashe gives you a pacer who's more fit than Edwards and has had success against the English(re: the practice games).

G.I.Joe

From the Aus in Ind 2008 thread,

Can't wait for the series to begin. Zaheer Khan's fitness is going to be very vital. If he lasts the entire series without injury, India would have to worry about just one bowling spot at the most. I can't see India not wresting back the trophy in that case.
Good call, I say.

HeathDavisSpeed

My first post(s) were made in this thread, it seems:

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/24007-ryder-playing-ireland-6.html

Starting with:

Scaly Piscine said:
I can't understand why Ireland got a NZ batsman, yes Ireland need decent batters but then why are you looking at NZ? It's like looking for quality wrist spinners in England. Just not happening.
HeathDavisSpeed said:
Is this guy for real? I don't want to sound out of line being new here, but he seems pretty anti-NZ. Is he joking, or is this a common theme?

Anyway, have a look how well Mal Loye (the saviour of the England ODI team by some media accounts ) did for Auckland this year in the two games he played (averaged 17 I believe) and compare that to Jesse Ryder's career average.

For any batsman to average 40+ in New Zealand domestic conditions is rare. The pitches are variable and the seam movement can be prodigious. Jesse and Mathew Sinclair are two that spring to mind that average 40+. English players come over here every year to play grade cricket as they know NZ conditions will provide a challenge to improve their skills. Will Jefferson played for Papetoetoe, James Middlebrook for Upper Valley, Darren Stevens for Taita, Stephen Peters for Cornwall CC, Auckland, Steve Patterson played for New Lynn, Charlie Shreck even got a game for Wellington (lucky man) - and I could go on.

Jesse is an exceptional talent, much better than some of the rabbit-in-the-headlights players we've seen strutting their stuff for England of late. Whether Jesse makes it or not is a tough question, but whether he is good enough for county cricket - he most certainly is.

Now, can he prove my words to be true. I hope so.
And followed up subsequent posts with:

Phlegm said:
Scaly is, to quote 16 tins of spam; a relic of a bygone era, convinced in his nations seperiority and power. We are just little peasants(these are my own words now) and are not fit to kiss the bums of the great English race.
HeathDavisSpeed said:
That's quite funny considering how much of an anachronism the UK is in the modern age.

I've lived in the UK, and I'm glad to be back in NZ.

To paraphrase the British poet Jarvis Cocker, "You can take your Trafalgar Square and shove it up your arse"

Nothing against Britain at all, but these people who pass down judgement on other peoples and places and tar whole swathes of people with one size fits all brush are at least guilty of solecism.

Now look what you've gone and made me do... and I've only been here five minutes.
And:

Phlegm said:
Be intersting to see Scaly's response.
Heef said:
I've got my response ready... if he outfoxes me, I'll just show him my Primal Scream influenced version of Poi-E. That'll confuse him just long enough for me to escape.
Well, still disagreeing with Scaly about the quality in the Kiwi team, so not much changes.

Last edited: