• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Guilty Pleasures [Music]

stumpski

Well, you know me - or maybe you don't - I'm not a big one for new-thread-starting, but as I now post here exclusively, I thought it would be interesting (and possibly therapeutic) to post some of the artists/songs you like to listen to when no-one else is around. Me, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Barry Manilow's early stuff - my copy of 'Manilow Magic' was my wife's,and so it has sentimental connections anyway, but I've always liked the big ballads like Could It Be Magic, Weekend in New England and Looks Like We Made It. Put it this way, it might be a generational thing, but if I had to sit through that, or the latest offering by Dizzee Rascal or My Chemical Romance, there'd be no contest I'm afraid.

By way of asking for further offences to be taken into consideration, I should also mention that I have copies of Air Supply's Greatest Hits and Guilty by Barbra Streisand. Oh and the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack of course. And don't even get me started on Billy Joel. An under-rated genius IMO, the missing link between Springsteen and Elton John.

Any chance this could be a ridicule-free zone, btw? Would be good for others to post their own selections without the 'cool' people pointing and laughing, so to speak.

fredfertang

Billy Joel apart I have my doubts about your selection David but as we're of a similar vintage I'll share my thoughts on this one

I used to listen to music for hours but generally now only if I'm driving and there's nothing worth listening to on Talksport. I haven't changed the CD's for years and am quite happy with the six on there

Bob Dylans Greatest Hits
The Who by Numbers
Born to Run
A Rolling Stones compilation
Suzanne Vega's first album
A Simon and Garfunkel compilation

stumpski

Nothing remotely uncool about that selection though IMO - any Rolling Stone, Mojo or Q hack would be suitably impressed.

Bruce has never bettered Born To Run I think.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Like a bit of Kenny Rogers, who's yet to undergo a critical reappraisal but must be due one soon, & Neil Diamond who sort of has with the recent-ish Rick Rubin produced albums. Liked him before tho.

stumpski

Like a bit of Kenny Rogers, who's yet to undergo a critical reappraisal but must be due one soon, & Neil Diamond who sort of has with the recent-ish Rick Rubin produced albums. Liked him before tho.
Ruby, Don't take Your Love to Town is a great record tbh.

I've got the Neil Diamond double CD compilation which came out a few years ago. Not that keen on the early stuff, but a different matter when it gets to the 70s - I have done Sweet Caroline (complete with the 'ba ba bas') in karaoke, ftr. :ph34r: Not that I'm blind, or indeed deaf, to new music, but I find I always gravitate back to the 70s after a while.

Goughy

I bought 'Carry on up the Charts' and still listen to it occasionally though, as the OP said, only when noone else is around. Probably listen more to John Tams and the music from Sharpe though. Does that count as a guilty pleasure? Im not sure as Kate Rusby has one of the most amazing voices.

Last edited:

zaremba

I always had a soft spot for Whigfield's ****-dance-pop hit "Saturday Night". Incidentally I also thought Whigfield herself was quite fit in a sexually adventurous Danish popstress sort of way.

G.I.Joe

I always had a soft spot for Whigfield's ****-dance-pop hit "Saturday Night". Incidentally I also thought Whigfield herself was quite fit in a sexually adventurous Danish popstress sort of way.

Where's the smiley with the paper bag over the face?

zaremba

Haha, each to his own. Anyhow the OP asked that this be a ridicule-free zone - and I would hope that might extend to my little 1990s crush on Wiggy

Burgey

Neil Diamond for me too.

And crooners. Am such a sucker for crooners and for big band swing stuff.

Michael Buble a very guilty pleasure indeed. Someone has to keep the crooning fires burning, and I can't cos my voice is the vocal equivalent of fingernails down a blackboard.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I genuinely enjoy Never Gonna Give You Up :ph34r:, as well as many dodgy other eighties tunes. Justin Timberlake, Robbie Williams & Lily Allen as far as pop stars go. Have been known to listen to KISS now and again.

House of Love by East 17 also comes to mind...

Marcuss

Buble, IT and Robbie qualify as guilty? :-O
And Allen?!?..... think I best not post in here anymore :$

Son Of Coco

Used to have all the Diesel Cd's (up to a point)...and have been thinking of downloading some of his songs again.

I'd like to think he was a stepping stone to stuff like 'You Am I'.

thierry henry

Basically as I'm mostly a hip-hop fan, I also tend to like any pop/RnB songs with a good/catchy hip-hop beat. This means I can enjoy songs by some of the most shameful artists of the day, Chris Brown, Usher, Bieber etc (yep, even Bieber)