• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official Third Test at Edgbaston

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Gotta laugh at Social's calls, Jimmy is correct for sure.

Full credit to Team England (and Wales) for allowing Australia to play Manou.

So if Haddin is out for the series should we call up Aus A keeper Tim Paine as backup or bring in the next best batsman whomever that may be?

I feel asleep last night before the game started, so was very happily surprised to see Aus in a good condition. Good work Watto!

andyc

Is(\was) your dad actually called Coco?
It's from the Australian movie The Castle. Definitely worth a watch if you can.

Anywho, I reckon there deserves to be more mention of the sportsmanship shown by Strauss and Andy Flower in allowing Manou to play, top stuff. I can't believe I missed Watto though.. I went to bed around 1:30ish, thinking there wouldn't be much chance of play. Lame.

pup11

Paine is an atrocious WK at present. He can bat, no doubt, but he's probably as bad if not worse than Prior with the gloves and he's not even as good a bat as Prior.
True, but if Haddin is out of the rest of the series, and they are forced into sending a back-up keeper, then Hartley or Wade would be the two choices, Hartley would be pretty neat with the gloves, but his batting isn't really at par with other keeper-batsmen around in world cricket, or even Australia for that matter.

Wade on the other hand eventhough is pretty inexperienced, but he is a very decent keeper and also has all the makings of becoming a very good batsman with time, and eventhough it might seem like bit of a risk, but I would still pick Wade over Hartley to go to England as the back-up keeper.

Though you never know with Aussie seletors, they might just end-up send Luke Ronchi over there as the reserve keeper.

four_or_six

True, but if Haddin is out of the rest of the series, and they are forced into sending a back-up keeper, then Hartley or Wade would be the two choices, Hartley would be pretty neat with the gloves, but his batting isn't really at par with other keeper-batsmen around in world cricket, or even Australia for that matter.

Wade on the other hand eventhough is pretty inexperienced, but he is a very decent keeper and also has all the makings of becoming a very good batsman with time, and eventhough it might seem like bit of a risk, but I would still pick Wade over Hartley to go to England as the back-up keeper.

Though you never know with Aussie seletors, they might just end-up send Luke Ronchi over there as the reserve keeper.
They could call up Hartley, and he's in England playing club cricket, I think. He did have a good season batting last year, too.

Son Of Coco

Geez, watto day (*boom boom*). Good to see fortune favouring the brave, let's hope Johnson joins the party. A big 1st innings total will help that along!

Manou. :cool:
I hope Johnson joins in too, although If I was to bet before the match I would have bet on Watson being more successful. If Johnson takes 5 for though (or bowls well) I'll happily concede it was a good call to leave Clark out.

Top_Cat

I hope Johnson joins in too, although If I was to bet before the match I would have bet on Watson being more successful. If Johnson takes 5 for though (or bowls well) I'll happily concede it was a good call to leave Clark out.
Yes and no. Even if he takes wickets, was a risky call. That's why I called it 'brave' rather than 'good'. :D Has gut-feeling written all over it and why, if he takes some scalps, I won't be running back into this thread saying "See!! Told yuuuuz!" at all the nay-sayers. None of you are saying stuff I really disagree with.

Not enough fool-hardiness in the world, tbh. I admire the entrepreneurial spirit, even in the face of all that is rational/logical. Can sometimes be all the motivation someone needs to buck the trend. Don't believe that all things need be based on cold numbers, even with a lot on the line. Sometimes there's a more intuitive logic which you might not be able to articulate at the time that informs decisions. This is why I was in favour of retaining Johnson.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Can't agree at all with Social there. Seen a number of keepers who enjoy taking some balls off the bowlers in warm up, get the feet moving etc. Others who just prefer taking balls off the bat.

jondavluc

Yes and no. Even if he takes wickets, was a risky call. That's why I called it 'brave' rather than 'good'. :D Has gut-feeling written all over it and why, if he takes some scalps, I won't be running back into this thread saying "See!! Told yuuuuz!" at all the nay-sayers. None of you are saying stuff I really disagree with.

Not enough fool-hardiness in the world, tbh. I admire the entrepreneurial spirit, even in the face of all that is rational/logical. Can sometimes be all the motivation someone needs to buck the trend. Don't believe that all things need be based on cold numbers, even with a lot on the line. Sometimes there's a more intuitive logic which you might not be able to articulate at the time that informs decisions. This is why I was in favour of retaining Johnson.
Awta