• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

inbox24

Man these Ashes series do come around quickly. I mean it was only about 3 years ago that Australia won the last Ashes five zip.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To be honest, at this stage I'd get a lot more excited playing India or Australia. Maybe I'm a bit jaded after a long summer, but cbf with England at the moment. I'm even more excited about the Pakistan series for its uniqueness. Maybe that'll change closer to the date or if/when Beefy says something stupid in the press.
:huh:
:laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Man these Ashes series do come around quickly. I mean it was only about 3 years ago that Australia won the last Ashes five zip.
Has been every 4 years (with occasional exceptions) since Ashes resumed after WW1.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
OK, serious pact - if we actually manage, somehow, to win this series, both of us change our locations to 2010/11 for a few weeks, aye?

GuyFromLancs

There has been a significant revolution with regards to the standing of these two foes.

Fancy, after 14 years of Warne, England having the spinning advantage over the Aussies :blink:. Add to this that the Aussie pace attack consists of diligent pros instead of world beaters and I honestly think we are favourites, especially if Hussey continues his steady decent.

I honestly think if we lose the Ashes it will be owed to suicidal selections or individual failures, namely:-

- Pietersen failing completely as a batsman, I really hope not but he looks in a very poor state at the moment.

- Trott never living up to is Oval performance again.

- Bell being reinstated at number 3...again :wacko:

- Broad and Cook not taking it to the next level

- Anderson not finding consistent form.

morgieb

Australia will still win but it should be a hell lot closer than 2006/07. England are improving, and for once they look like they have a decent spinner. Seam bowling is either brilliant or dire for England, and their batting still has question marks. We more or less have consistency across the board.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Australia will still win but it should be a hell lot closer than 2006/07. England are improving, and for once they look like they have a decent spinner. Seam bowling is either brilliant or dire for England, and their batting still has question marks. We more or less have consistency across the board.
I reckon you could easily switch the words England and Australia around and your statement would still make sense.

Burgey

Offies don't do well here anyways, as a general rule. Roger Ramjet has been bowling well though, tbf.

Problem with this thread kicking off now is I have to start being overtly hostile to English posters again, and keep the hatred going for the better part of a year. Much easier if the hate is just kept inside tbh.

Out of interest, when is the Aus v Pakistan series in England on? Late your (supposed) summer or early?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Summer goes:
England vs. Bangaladehesh (should be a walkover)
Pakistan vs. Australia
England vs. Pakistan

It's possible all 3 series' will be eminently forgettable - it's near-certain if Pakistan catch as they did DOOWWWn oonder.

Burgey

Summer goes:
England vs. Bangaladehesh (should be a walkover)
Pakistan vs. Australia
England vs. Pakistan

It's possible all 3 series' will be eminently forgettable - it's near-certain if Pakistan catch as they did DOOWWWn oonder.
Thanks mate.

pasag

RTDAS
There has been a significant revolution with regards to the standing of these two foes.

Fancy, after 14 years of Warne, England having the spinning advantage over the Aussies :blink:. Add to this that the Aussie pace attack consists of diligent pros instead of world beaters and I honestly think we are favourites, especially if Hussey continues his steady decent.

I honestly think if we lose the Ashes it will be owed to suicidal selections or individual failures, namely:-

- Pietersen failing completely as a batsman, I really hope not but he looks in a very poor state at the moment.

Like the last Ashes where England had the spinning advantage? Swann won't be able to do much here like most spinners and there'll be no swing for Anderson and co.

There's no way ANY touring side coming into Australia, one of the hardest places in the world to tour will be favourites.

Hussey's seems like he's back in Tests, recently won a match off his own bat. The bowling attack is coming off nicely with Bollinger making his mark, so yeah... Not saying England can't win it, just that they're not favourites.

GotSpin

What? England favourites against Australia in our backyard :laugh:

Hussey seems to have regained some of his old form and our pace attack is getting stronger and stronger. The only Australian weakness is our no.6

wfdu_ben91

Newsflash: The Ashes is only competitive when it's played in England.