• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group E (Super 8) - Pakistan, South Africa, New Zealand, England

Fusion

Global Moderator
So Nz beat Pak beat SA beat NZ. Fair enough.

What about the part where NZ has beat SL and Zim additionally, whereas Pakistan has just the one extra win against Bangladesh?

:-)
It goes right next to the part where everyone knew what the rules were before the tourney started. :)

NasserFan207

So Nz beat Pak beat SA beat NZ. Fair enough.

What about the part where NZ has beat SL and Zim additionally, whereas Pakistan has just the one extra win against Bangladesh?

:-)
Who the **** cares. This is 20/20, Pakistan lost to NZ by one run when they played. Pretty much anything can happen and anyone can win on the day, its very hard to decide whose the better team much of the time. Stop whining.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Pakistan went through because their record was better than the other teams in the group...not rocket science and I don't really understand why it's being contested. That along with the fact that we wouldn't have qualified for the tournament but for all our player-robbing. Jeez, bottom of the barrel stuff in here....

slippy

Latest World twenty 20 outright odds

Australia 11/8
England 11/4
Pakistan 4/1
Sri Lanka 8/1
India 12/1
West Indies 14/1

King Pietersen

Was just discussing Collingwood's place in the side with Aussie on PC, and came across some very interesting stats. Here are Colly's stats in the last 2 years of T20i cricket:

2009: 7 innings, 134 runs at 19.14 with 1 half century and a strike rate of 136.
2010: 7 innings, 59 runs at 8.33 with 0 half centuries (HS of 16) and a strike rate of 102.

Those are pretty abysmal statistics, especially this year. An average of 8 and a strike rate of 102? =/ I don't exactly know who would replace him, possibly Jonathan Trott who managed over 500 runs in the T20 cup last year, or an exciting young talent like Alex Hales, but is Colly's place in this side really safe? His captaincy leaves a lot to be desired, he's not scoring runs and his fielding seems to get worse when he's skipper too. Seems to me that Paul Collingwood is basically our Michael Clarke. Thoughts?

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Was just discussing Collingwood's place in the side with Aussie on PC, and came across some very interesting stats. Here are Colly's stats in the last 2 years of T20i cricket:

2009: 7 innings, 134 runs at 19.14 with 1 half century and a strike rate of 136.
2010: 7 innings, 59 runs at 8.33 with 0 half centuries (HS of 16) and a strike rate of 102.

Those are pretty abysmal statistics, especially this year. An average of 8 and a strike rate of 102? =/ I don't exactly know who would replace him, possibly Jonathan Trott who managed over 500 runs in the T20 cup last year, or an exciting young talent like Alex Hales, but is Colly's place in this side really safe? His captaincy leaves a lot to be desired, he's not scoring runs and his fielding seems to get worse when he's skipper too. Seems to me that Paul Collingwood is basically our Michael Clarke. Thoughts?
Hales would be a hell of a punt.

Trott must be the next in line. Was unlucky not to make the XV anyway IMHO.

I guess another option would be Davies. Give him the gloves and play Kieswetter as a bat.

grecian

Trott clearly needs to come in if you ditch Colly, but let's face it if we end up in the final, him being stripped of the captaincy would be an odd call, considering how crap we've been in World Cups for decades.

TBH, Englands performance is quite odd, I look at it, and I think only four maybe five players have done well, yet clearly the little cameos, wickets and runs, have kept our momentum during the tournament. I guess we've found a formula that makes us not-****, which clearly is better then we normally are. Lumb and CK just look woefully short of class, IMHO, but maybe they can get away with it in this form. Yardy and Wright, just make me cringe to watch them too, but they have put in decent performances *sigh*. Colly has been shocking.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah you can't drop the captain mid-tournament. Highly doubt his place will come under any question with England going so well either, even though it's had pretty much nothing to with him.

It does bring up an interesting question though.. if Collingwood did get the axe from the T20 team, who'd get the captaincy? I think Pietersen would be basically out of the question after his last stint, I guess we'd be looking at Swanneh.

Uppercut

Lumb and CK just look woefully short of class, IMHO, but maybe they can get away with it in this form.
I'd go easy on them. It's hard to accept what's perceived to be continued failure but failing in five consecutive T20is is barely as good a sample size as failing in one test. Besides, the format has a ridiculously steep learning curve. Kieswetter's probably never seen bowling of the quality of Shane Bond in his life and after about three balls to get his eye in he's expected to pull him in front of square for four. Tough gig.

That said, he is one England player with a perfectly good replacement lined up and ready to go.

Uppercut

Yeah you can't drop the captain mid-tournament. Highly doubt his place will come under any question with England going so well either, even though it's had pretty much nothing to with him.

It does bring up an interesting question though.. if Collingwood did get the axe from the T20 team, who'd get the captaincy? I think Pietersen would be basically out of the question after his last stint, I guess we'd be looking at Swanneh.
That would be the greatest thing ever.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Lumb's at least been striking at above 150. While he's done nothing substantial in terms of the number of runs he's scored, he's getting the team off to a very quick start, which is giving Pietersen and Morgan a platform to build from, instead of them building the platform themselves, so he's serving a purpose.

superkingdave

Lumb's at least been striking at above 150. While he's done nothing substantial in terms of the number of runs he's scored, he's getting the team off to a very quick start, which is giving Pietersen and Morgan a platform to build from, instead of them building the platform themselves, so he's serving a purpose.
Yeah im not too convinced about their long term viability, but happy with the starts they've been giving us. I think they said today that we've averaged the most runs in the powerplay overs?