• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pets

Daemon

@Heef, Mum's looking at getting a parrot soon. Are there any breeds that are classified as 'beginner' birds or such? We've kept Budgies and a ring necked Parrot in the past without any issues.

HeathDavisSpeed

A few questions about that.

Firstly, how much is she looking at paying. Secondly, does she want a bird which has a chance of learning to talk and thirdly does she want a larger or smaller bird?

Daemon

She's looking at max $300 for a smallish bird, excluding cages and accessories. Talking isn't necessary.

We're thinking of going down to look at some Conures at a few different breeders. Either Green Cheeked or Yellow Sided. Thoughts?

wellAlbidarned

The $10 frozen chickens at pak'n'save are a good point to start for beginners. Low-maintenance and makes a delicious roast if you get sick of it.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

She's looking at max $300 for a smallish bird, excluding cages and accessories. Talking isn't necessary.

We're thinking of going down to look at some Conures at a few different breeders. Either Green Cheeked or Yellow Sided. Thoughts?
Green Cheeked Conures are good natured little chippers. Tend to be quieter than some of the more brash but handsome Aratinga conures. Pyrrhura conures tend to be a little smaller and generally quieter, though their chip chip voice can still be raucous at times. Don't really need any special food and you should easily be able to pick up a Green Cheek for $300. A Maroon Belly goes for $100-$200 here, so I'm sure they'd be cheaper in Singapore. Make sure she gets one that's been handraised. Can easily tell if they have or haven't as a handraised one will be interested in people moreso than scared.

Daemon

Green Cheeked Conures are good natured little chippers. Tend to be quieter than some of the more brash but handsome Aratinga conures. Pyrrhura conures tend to be a little smaller and generally quieter, though their chip chip voice can still be raucous at times. Don't really need any special food and you should easily be able to pick up a Green Cheek for $300. A Maroon Belly goes for $100-$200 here, so I'm sure they'd be cheaper in Singapore. Make sure she gets one that's been handraised. Can easily tell if they have or haven't as a handraised one will be interested in people moreso than scared.
Breeder seemed ok with selling us an unweaned bird (5-6weeks old), we told him we'd think about it. So far from all the reading I've done it appears that it's a bad idea and that the breeder is a dick for offering to sell it to someone inexperienced, so it looks like a no go. Will search a bit more this weekend, thanks for all the help :)

HeathDavisSpeed

Breeder seemed ok with selling us an unweaned bird (5-6weeks old), we told him we'd think about it. So far from all the reading I've done it appears that it's a bad idea and that the breeder is a dick for offering to sell it to someone inexperienced, so it looks like a no go. Will search a bit more this weekend, thanks for all the help :)
Definitely a bad idea and an even worse idea for a novice. I wouldn't touch a bird which hadn't been weaned - so easy to do them damage or not feed them enough. It's good to have them whilst they're still young as then they'll imprint on you. However, if you want the bird to get on well with more than one person, then your mum will need to make sure that other people handle the bird and feed it otherwise it will imprint on your mum and defend its territory against anyone else (not guaranteed, but this is a common issue).

Daemon

Definitely a bad idea and an even worse idea for a novice. I wouldn't touch a bird which hadn't been weaned - so easy to do them damage or not feed them enough. It's good to have them whilst they're still young as then they'll imprint on you. However, if you want the bird to get on well with more than one person, then your mum will need to make sure that other people handle the bird and feed it otherwise it will imprint on your mum and defend its territory against anyone else (not guaranteed, but this is a common issue).
Got a weaned 3 month old GCC today. Breeder was a nice guy, showed us that he* was eating solids properly and showed us how he rejected the baby formula. He's left the decision to clip the wings to us, I'm not sure whether we should or not. On one hand it doesn't seem right, but on the other it's hard to take him out often and give him more attention if he keeps flying around. As of now if there are two people in the room he just flies from one head to the next. Any tips on how to get him to land on the shoulder instead?

*have no idea of his/her gender tbh

Last edited:

Daemon

Got a weaned 3 month old GCC today. Breeder was a nice guy, showed us that he* was eating solids properly and showed us how he rejected the baby formula. He's left the decision to clip the wings to us, I'm not sure whether we should or not. On one hand it doesn't seem right, but on the other it's hard to take him out often and give him more attention if he keeps flying around. As of now if there are two people in the room he just flies from one head to the next. Any tips on how to get him to land on the shoulder instead?

*have no idea of his/her gender tbh

<3

Daemon

so i just got news from home that the little fella flew onto the fruit basket on the dining table, laid a **** on an apple which he then tried to eat. god i miss him.

Bijed

why-cant-cats-resist-thinking-inside-the-box

Just for those that want the pretty picture.... (not my cat!!)
Ah, goes some way to explaining why whenever my neighbours' cat comes in he immediately heads for a tea-towel to sit on

chesterxxx.jpg

Cats are ****ing terrible. Kittens are gun but **** cats.
I used to think this way, but when our new neighbours' moved in they brought with them 2 lovely cats who seem to also attract all the other nice cats who live nearby and now I love them.