• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Official Pakistan Politics thread

Burgey

Apparently a large bomb detonated at a polling place. Terrible stuff. Hope all CWers in Pakistan are safe and well.

Black_Warrior

Imran all set to be next pm based on results till now
Every party has rejected the results though. So the next few days could be shaky. PTI's performance in major MQM/PMLN strongholds will raise eyebrows. Depending on one's ideology, it's evidence for either 1) genuine change in political mindset and awareness of new generation or 2) rigging.

Last edited:

smalishah84

The Tiger King
Every party has rejected the results though. So the next few days could be shaky. PTI's performance in major MQM/PMLN strongholds will raise eyebrows. Depending on one's ideology, it's evidence for either 1) genuine change in political mindset and awareness of new generation or 2) rigging.
There has always been some rigging in almost every election in Pakistan (the most transparent being where the majority seceded from the minority). The only question is how much rigging was done. It was funny reading 2013 tweets from shahbaz and maryam asking Imran to gracefully concede and stop the claims of rigging. Looks like the shoe is on the other foot now. Besides once the elections are done and dusted and a few months down the line the other parties will start preparing for life after elections.

And if Imran manages to do well in his term, who knows, we might see the end of dynastic politics in Pakistan. This might be too much to ask for though.

I do know that my parents went and voted in an election after 40 years, in Karachi. The last time they voted was back when Bhutto was PM in 1977. So yeah, there has definitely been an increase in awareness and interest this time around. Also know a fair number of other people who did this as well.

Black_Warrior

The 'every election has rigging' narrative won't be dominant this time precisely because PTI has won in places considered unwinnable. They have wiped out MQM in Karachi and PMLN in Faisalabad. This is unheard of. In the past, it used to be rigging in the other direction.

Point I'm trying to make is these results will divide people big time.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
The 'every election has rigging' narrative won't be dominant this time precisely because PTI has won in places considered unwinnable. They have wiped out MQM in Karachi and PMLN in Faisalabad. This is unheard of. In the past, it used to be rigging in the other direction.

Point I'm trying to make is these results will divide people big time.
It already is the dominant narrative. All the other major parties are claiming that elections were rigged. Business as usual, really.

Xuhaib

will it?

Karachi has been over MQM for a while now and it was wide scale rigging that got them all these votes in 2013. I went to vote yesterday and PTI supporters were easily outnumbering others by 10/1 you could see it with the flags and the party colored clothing.

I am really surprised MQM is projected to get these 8-9 seats they were nowhere to be seen yesterday it was all PTI.

ankitj

I know Imran is a terror sympathizer, but it's unbelievable how much he has achieved in a lifetime. I can't think of any human ever who after excelling in a sport to this degree went on to be a head of state. It's ludicrous.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
It already is the dominant narrative. All the other major parties are claiming that elections were rigged. Business as usual, really.
Interestingly enough,

European Union (EU) Election Observation Mission to Pakistan (EOMP) Chief Observer (CO) Michael Gahler has said that the general elections in Pakistan were satisfactory.

Gahler said, “Our observers visited as many as 300 polling stations in 87 constituencies and I have personally visited four polling stations, there is improvement compared to the previous election held in 2013.”

https://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/20...factory-says-eu-election-observation-mission/

Black_Warrior

will it?

Karachi has been over MQM for a while now and it was wide scale rigging that got them all these votes in 2013. I went to vote yesterday and PTI supporters were easily outnumbering others by 10/1 you could see it with the flags and the party colored clothing.

I am really surprised MQM is projected to get these 8-9 seats they were nowhere to be seen yesterday it was all PTI.
You're preaching to the choir. No one wanted to see them wiped out more than me. But I was referring to public perception and how these things are analysed. Pretty every major publication (whether national or international) has been jumping on the 'rigged' narrative long before the election. A result such as this allows the despicable MQM and PMLN to use it for their benefit..which they are already doing and claim rigging when they have been genuinely wiped out through people's vote.

Xuhaib

I know Imran is a terror sympathizer, but it's unbelievable how much he has achieved in a lifetime. I can't think of any human ever who after excelling in a sport to this degree went on to be a head of state. It's ludicrous.
don't agree that he is a terror sympathizer. He has his own views in how the taliban problem should be tackled based on his close interaction with the tribal areas people and their mindset, they are not popular with everyone but he has his way of justifying them

Yes his achievements are phenomenal not forgetting his philanthropist work which I believe is quite under rated. 3 world class cancer hospitals where poor are being treated for free is remarkable in itself for a country like Pakistan then the university for the underprivileged and then all the work done by Imran Khan foundation, truly an astonishing man.

social

Imran is the closest friend of one of my oldest mates

I prefer to think that he has said whatever is necessary to win an election until proven otherwise

vcs

I can't be unhappy about a cricketer winning an election and becoming Prime Minister.

Hope he brings (more) peace and prosperity to Pakistan.

social

Just texted my mate and he’s with Immy

All happy and good things coming apparently

Pakistan has so much potential so here’s hoping