• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Test, Lord's, London

Burgey

I was drinking Tequila shots all arvo at Dick's Hotel with my best mate who's down from Qld. I was punching out zzzz's by about 8.30 last night.

wrongun

Banned
Wonder if the result would have been different had Paine elected to bat first. He is so bad at reviews too. If he had chosen to review the Ben Stokes lbw in the English 90s, they possibly couldve wrapped up the poms cheaply.

TheJediBrah

Surprised there's confusion about the catch. Thought the general consensus was that it's hard to judge those on tv, but a lot look more not out than they actually are because of the 2D pictures. Either way, those are are pretty much always decided by the soft signal if there's doubt. I think that's a bit of a stupid way of doing things, since a lot of the time the umpires are just guessing, and even probably have their verdict influenced by how the fielders react. But it's just how they do it now. Broad's dismissal in the last Melbourne test was more iffy than this one IIRC.
Normally I'd agree that it's hard to tell, but this one looked different. It really looked pretty clear that it bounced off the ground.

vcs

I thought he got his fingers underneath it. Was pretty similar to the catch off Kohli at Perth.

Arachnodouche

I understand Warner and Smith, obviously, walking back into the side after serving time because they had sufficient cachet, but Bancroft? It seems like the selectors felt obliged at giving him a chance at redemption along with the other two as part of a combo deal. Can't go on any longer though.

Also, as great as Archer was, I'm afraid Root is going to bowl him into the ground. 45 overs from a tearaway even in pursuit of victory when the other two seamers bowled 34 and 22(!) each reeks of unimaginative bowler management.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Eh, if Archer can do it let him do it. His shortish, slow run up means he won't stress himself nearly as much some other bowlers.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Really Woakes is massively underrated. Should be Broad that gets dropped based on recent performances except that Broad massively ups his game against Australia.

Honestly I wouldn't play Anderson again this series. He's too much of a risk and Woakes adds more to the side. This attack has easily looked England's strongest at home in my lifetime.

Went to bed before the final session but good to see that we only lost 5 wickets in the session.

Australia's horrid squad selection is now coming back to bight. Can anyone seriously say that Burns would be doing worse than Bancroft or that they feel more confident with Wade at the crease than with Patterson? Wade did make the hundred but plenty of fortune went in to that. Patterson strikes me as a lot more consistent.

So next test which opener do we drop? Bancroft or Warner? Both deserve it but we only have one backup.
LOL. As if you drop Broad based on his series to date and as if a fit Anderson gets left out. Classic.

Compton

Surprised there's confusion about the catch. Thought the general consensus was that it's hard to judge those on tv, but a lot look more not out than they actually are because of the 2D pictures. Either way, those are are pretty much always decided by the soft signal if there's doubt. I think that's a bit of a stupid way of doing things, since a lot of the time the umpires are just guessing, and even probably have their verdict influenced by how the fielders react. But it's just how they do it now. Broad's dismissal in the last Melbourne test was more iffy than this one IIRC.
The soft signal on carrying is absolute madness. It gives priority to the guy standing at an awkward angle and distance, watching live, often obscured, and a single take.

The third-umpire has multiple angles, can zoom, replay and vary the speed.

GoodAreasShane

Not that I know much about this but isn't a shortish run up to bowl super quick bad for the body?
Not sure about Archer's action as I can't think of anyone that similar. Last bloke I saw bowling genuine wheels of such a a short run was Marchant de Lange, but he had that spine killing backwards lean in his bowling action, Archer a lot more upright

wpdavid

It would probably the logical decision although it would severely weaken the lower order batting. I just suspect they would find it easier to drop Denly and you can certainly argue the case that Woakes will score as many runs as him anyway.
In normal circumstances Denly's runs wouldn't keep him in the side. But he has played valuable innings in tough situations, not least in this test. I'd let him open and drop Roy. Woakes could, as you suggest, move up the order.

Not that Jimmy will be fit at Leeds, surely. If, as others have suggested, Woakes is carrying an injury then hopefully we'll see my boy Curran in the side.

hazsa19

He really does though. Anderson doesn't have the best Ashes record anyway, is 37 years old and injury prone and can't bat. Woakes has been dangerous with the ball and impressive with the bat.
If Jimmy were fit we’d be 1-0 if not 2-0 up. I like Woakes but it’s not even a debate between him and Anderson.

mr_mister

The soft signal on carrying is absolute madness. It gives priority to the guy standing at an awkward angle and distance, watching live, often obscured, and a single take.

The third-umpire has multiple angles, can zoom, replay and vary the speed.
The soft signal is a joke. I've never seen an umpire disagree for the soft siginal if the fielding team claims the catch

TheJediBrah

If Jimmy were fit we’d be 1-0 if not 2-0 up. I like Woakes but it’s not even a debate between him and Anderson.
That's patently ridiculous. You lost the first test by 250ish runs. If Jimmy is fit, Archer doesn't play this game and Aus probably win quite comfortably.

While you can't predict these things 100% of course, almost certainly if Jimmy didn't get injured it would still be 1-0 to Aus at best for England