• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Match - New Zealand v Sri Lanka

jonbrooks

I'll take the win. I got it horribly wrong. I thought SL was going to topple us but we came through comfortably in the end. It's going to be interesting to see how we fare against the likes of England and Australia. We've played SL too many times to really gauge how well we're doing.

kiwiviktor81

The BCs vs. Aussie will be the top of the table clash by the look of things. Also nice to see we took a big step towards avoiding SA in the quarters.

YorksLanka

Congrats fellas, thought we had wrestled back control there in the middle overs before the Anderson blitz..you guys deserved the victory and I hope one of you bought Malinga a bucket of at he colonels finest after that gash from him...

fishyguy

As much as NZ dominated this game I still don't get that feeling of dominance from NZ like I do from Australia. Probably because they aren't quite at that level. 2 dropped cathes from Taylor and McCullum and then to let the innings drag on. They weren't ruthless enough. The bowling was still getting hammered initially for the first 20 overs. Wanted to see more yorkers to the tailenders. I dunno I love NZ and want them to win the WC just hope they can step it up a bit more when they play the big teams. Ross taylor to me seems like he's out of it half the time in the slips.

anil1405

As much as NZ dominated this game I still don't get that feeling of dominance from NZ like I do from Australia. Probably because they aren't quite at that level. 2 dropped cathes from Taylor and McCullum and then to let the innings drag on. They weren't ruthless enough. The bowling was still getting hammered initially for the first 20 overs. Wanted to see more yorkers to the tailenders. I dunno I love NZ and want them to win the WC just hope they can step it up a bit more when they play the big teams. Ross taylor to me seems like he's out of it half the time in the slips.
NZ are just about transforming into a dominant side whereas Australia have been annihilating opponents for a long time now. So comparing them to the way Australia dominate games is a tad unfair.

NZ have seized the 50-50 situations today in their favour. A typical NZ side might have capitulated when they lost 3rd and 4th wicket in the 34th over but they went on to post a big score. Their bowling lived up to the pre-tournament hype and were good throughout the innings.

BeeGee

The key to winning the WC is to peak at the right time. Look at how Pakistan won the 92 cup. They were crap at the start of the tournament but they continued to improve and peaked for the semis and final.

GGG

NZ are just about transforming into a dominant side whereas Australia have been annihilating opponents for a long time now. So comparing them to the way Australia dominate games is a tad unfair.

NZ have seized the 50-50 situations today in their favour. A typical NZ side might have capitulated when they lost 3rd and 4th wicket in the 34th over but they went on to post a big score. Their bowling lived up to the pre-tournament hype and were good throughout the innings.

Who have Australia been annihilating? England and India? We haven't played them in about 5 years, they haven't played SL in about 3 years and the lost that game anyway. Also they didn't do very well when they toured India last. So really they have only thrashed India at home who don't travel very well anyway and England, we don't need to discuss how hard that is. Oh and Pakistan but so did we.

I am not saying they aren't very good, just saying I don't believe they are the great side many make them out to be. I think they would crack under pressure, not much experience in the top 6 if Clarke isn't playing and a lot of the same type of batsman. Quality bowlers though but no spinner.

Last edited:

Maximas

They were pretty convincing against South Africa at home in November, not quite so much earlier in Zimbabwe though

Migara

There's something not right about Sri Lanka. Sanga, Dilshan, Mahela and Mathews all are in good form and now Thirimanne is starting to prosper. Still they cannot post 300+ score regularly. Bowling looks ugly, especially with strugling Malinga. SL has to open the innings with Mathews and Lakmal bowling, and Malinga coming in as the first change. Kulasekara should give way to Senanayake, whom can be used as a opening bowlers as well. SL should play the gamble and play one more batsman, that is Chandimal what ever hsi form is. There is enough merit for Sanga and the rest to drop one place as well, allowing Thiri and Chandimal to play with Dilshan, who is a senior pro.

My side for the next match would be;

Thirimanne, Dilshan, Chandimal, Sangakkara, MJ, Karunarathne, Mathews, Senanayake, Herath, Malinga, Lakmal

We have very few big hitters here, but we have to play our best bowlers, that is Senanayake, Herath and Malinga. Mathews had been probably the best in NZ conditions.

straw man

Very happy with this win, especially Anderson's batting at the end.

Good to just enjoy a few weeks of relaxed group-stage cricket now, though at the same time this win does mean we're on track for a top-2 finish in the group and hopefully an easier quarter final.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
There's something not right about Sri Lanka. Sanga, Dilshan, Mahela and Mathews all are in good form and now Thirimanne is starting to prosper. Still they cannot post 300+ score regularly. Bowling looks ugly, especially with strugling Malinga. SL has to open the innings with Mathews and Lakmal bowling, and Malinga coming in as the first change. Kulasekara should give way to Senanayake, whom can be used as a opening bowlers as well. SL should play the gamble and play one more batsman, that is Chandimal what ever hsi form is. There is enough merit for Sanga and the rest to drop one place as well, allowing Thiri and Chandimal to play with Dilshan, who is a senior pro.

My side for the next match would be;

Thirimanne, Dilshan, Chandimal, Sangakkara, MJ, Karunarathne, Mathews, Senanayake, Herath, Malinga, Lakmal

We have very few big hitters here, but we have to play our best bowlers, that is Senanayake, Herath and Malinga. Mathews had been probably the best in NZ conditions.
What happened to kaushal silva? I thought he would become the next jayasuriya?

Burgey

It seems NZ, India and Australia are the three sides who can really go balls to the wall knowing they have depth a long way down the batting order. SA to a lesser extent, but they compensate by having two and a half utter guns.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It seems NZ, India and Australia are the three sides who can really go balls to the wall knowing they have depth a long way down the batting order. SA to a lesser extent, but they compensate by having two and a half utter guns.
Yeah the Yarps don't quite have the fire power all the way down but the presence of AB alone makes up for it.

hendrix

Really pleased by how we didn't panic with the loss of Williamson and Taylor. The batting lineup is probably the best in the competition.

Vettori's spell was an absolute master class.