• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd test: POSITIVE

Tim

Well it was 95% likely that the 'b' sample would prove to be positive so now Warne faces a 2 year ban. I doubt he'll get 2 years unless someone proves that he did take it as a masking agent.

What we do know is that Warne's ODI career is finished unless he decides to return when eligible to complete it which I wouldn't rule out.

In the end I think he'll get a 5 month ban & told to becareful next time.

krkode

Well, if he does get banned, he will have missed out on 500 test wickets AND 300 ODI wickets :(

Maybe he'll come back to tests after whatever ban he does get, but ODI's is unlikely, as he himself said...dunno if he will change his mind now, or even worse, dunno if he can get into the team two years from now...

Simon

WCC Staff
if warney does get 2 years id say he will retire, 2 years is a long time to keep fit and come back and play at such a high standard considering he wont be allowed to play an competitive cricket at all.

full_length

How come Australia are allowed a replacement?

Wasnt there a release a month or so back that barring injury or any serious personal problem (like death of a family member or something) nobody can get a replacement, or do those rules allow this?

Top_Cat

Australia is allowed a replacement because the positive test was discovered in the Australian summer, not at the World Cup itself. Remember the test was administered by Australian authorities, not by South African ones so the ICC rules which apply to the World Cup don't apply to Warne. The reason for the delay would have been in allowing Warn'e lawyers a response time, informing him in writing of the positive test etc.

full_length

Oh alright. I guess the ICC must have been informed about this earlier then, by the ACB.
They probably decided that they had enough controversy for a few WCs and delayed the information to the public, and maybe even to Warne..

hell who knows what these guys do.

Choora

Well Rik was confident that the second test would come out negative!

Hopefully we will see Warne playing test matches some day.

Kiwi

If warne does retire it will be not only a loss for Australian cricket but also for world cricket.

While I did not like him, There is no hiding it but he is a great Leg Spinner and You can learn a lot from watching.

Simon

WCC Staff
if he cops a 2 years ban he would achieve nothing by coming back. he would be 34, unfit and very unlikely to be picked anyway. i hope he would still play grade cricket or something like that. he can do what big merv did and come to canberra and have a stint with the comets :D

krkode

broncoman, it's definitely possible. A true athlete and a stoutheartedly dedicatedly determined cricketer would make it through :D

From what I see of Warne, he might just make it through. What the hec - I would play backyard cricket by myself for two years, If I were given a 2 year ban and I REALLY wanted to come back and become the highest test wicket taker of all time, because I'd need to stay in shape :P

I trust he'll do the same. If he asks to come back after two years, it'll be very hard for him to get in seeing as the aussie team is so competetive, but it's not impossible...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Was there ever really any doubt it'd come back positive?

What is a fitting punishment though, 2 years and he will be halfway through his 36th year when alowed to play again.

Also, does any ban preclude him from taking part in domestic Cricket?

If so, I suggest 7 months, to take away the English Summer from him.

shaka

Shane Warne will not get a 2 year ban because the ACB feel that he is too big a hero to be given such a huge suspension as 2 years. I think he should get a year ban.

Simon

WCC Staff
i dont think its as simple as saying they should just give him this or that, the AOC (australian olympic committe) have strict guide lines to follow on this type of manner, if he is found guilty of knowingly taking a prohibitted substance he would recieve the maximum 2 year ban. However he can be found guilty of a lesser charge such as a reckless or irresponsible action.
So in the end its all going to depend what the AOC decide he knew about taking the drug/s.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
shaka said:
Shane Warne will not get a 2 year ban because the ACB feel that he is too big a hero to be given such a huge suspension as 2 years. I think he should get a year ban.
A) it's not the ACB's call
B) just because he's a hero, it doesn't change the fact he was found to have taken drugs!

Bazza

Either way it looks like we need a new overseas star and captain here at Hampshire? That's assuming the ban applies to all competitive cricket and not just internationals?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bazza said:
Either way it looks like we need a new overseas star and captain here at Hampshire? That's assuming the ban applies to all competitive cricket and not just internationals?

The usual thing is for anyone found guilty of taking a banned substance gets suspended from ALL sport for the period of the ban - this cound well include commentating, coaching, the lot.

There's certainly no chance of him being permitted to play any cricket unless there are mitigating circumstances - in which case there might well not be any ban whatsoever.

One for the lawyers, perhaps?

Tim

Well Warnie's in the deep end now, according to reports the 'b' sample shows more than 1 diruestetic (however you spell it) so in which case the theory of his mother making him take it to look good for an interview is total bollocks.

I think this is not good for Warne now, its looking increasingly likely that he took some enhancing drugs because he was desperate to play in the World Cup.

Choora

shocking news!!!

Warne: new drug claim
February 19 2003
By Roy Masters, Jacquelin Magnay

Analysis of Shane Warne's positive drug test indicates that the Australian cricket star must have taken more than one banned diuretic tablet.

This contradicts statements by Warne, 33, that he took just one Moduretic tablet, supplied by his mother Brigitte in the days leading up to his January 22 news conference announcing his retirement from one-day cricket

After the revelations of the positive test earlier this month, Warne read a statement upon his return to Melbourne from the World Cup in South Africa on February 12 in which he said: "The fluid tablet I took before appearing to announce my retirement from one-day cricket was given to me by my mum."

The chairman of the World Anti-Doping Agency, Dick Pound, was unimpressed with Warne's explanation.

"Poisoned by his mother? It is good, very good. It ranks up there with the one, 'I got it from the toilet seat'," Pound said.

Choora

Now why Warne lied about the number oof tablets he took? Or can he get away by an excuse of memory lapse!!

Neil pickup had said that the chances of Warne testing positive would be like Harmison completing an over without bowling any wides!! From the tests its looks like Harmison completed his quota of 10 overs without giving away any extras!!:lol: :lol:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
<quack> come on, guys. go to my 'who sould be DD's next victim? Thread and vote vote vote for Warney. Time's nearly up!!!

I can do Ajit any day of the week.

Mind you, if AA still comes out next, I'm going to 'do' Shane a few days later.