• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Afridi - Class Act

bagapath

gambhir dedicated the win to the memory of the 26/11 victims. that is not anti-pakistani in any way, unless pakistan wants to look at the 26/11 attack as its crowning achievement.

am absolutely sure no normal person, indian, pakistani or otherwise, would have taken delight in innocents getting slaughtered by terrorists whether it happened in mumbai or karachi or london. interpreting gautham gambhir's statement as a "revenge for 26/11" is a dishonest reaction.

and yes, afridi was, is and will always be a dickhead.

Sanz

If Gambhir did say that, it is in bloody bad taste and he should apologize immediately. What a moronic comment at so many levels. Neither the Pakistani cricketers have anything to do with the Mumbai attack, nor is result of a cricket match capable of healing those wounds.
From what I have read, Gambhir did not say anything before the Pakistan match or about Pakistani players.

YouTube - Gambhir wants to win the World Cup for 26/11 victims

Evermind

If Gambhir did say that, it is in bloody bad taste and he should apologize immediately. What a moronic comment at so many levels. Neither the Pakistani cricketers have anything to do with the Mumbai attack, nor is result of a cricket match capable of healing those wounds.
Well to be fair to Gambhir, he didn't say any such thing.

He said "“For me, it will be dedicated to the people who lost their lives in the 26/11 massacre. A win, that too in the World Cup final, and that too in Mumbai, should be dedicated to the victims,”

Nothing about revenge, nothing about Pakistan, nothing about religion. It's in a completely different vein from Afridi's comments.

bagapath

i think you guys are only telling one side of the story, he didn't means indian people he meant indian players have small heart and hate pakistanis, he was basically reacting to what Gautham gambhir said before the match, that if india wins, it will be a revenge for the mumbai attacks of 2008. Now if some one said that, i would be pissed off too. I think i have noticed this before too, that pakistani players are really friendly with indian players, but indians players are really negative to pakistani players, the whole indian cricket board is actually negative and always brings politics in the middle, the snub that pakistani players got in IPL proves that
he didnt say that. dont invent stories.

even gambhir knows the best revenge for 26/11 would be weakening the terrorist network operating in the af-pak region, which india is doing effectively (from india's perspective) with american help. it cant happen on the cricket field.

afridi, the fool has said something stupid, involving size of heart and god etc. lets laugh at him him and move on rather than trying to make sense of it.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
gambhir dedicated the win to the memory of the 26/11 victims. that is not anti-pakistani in any way, unless pakistan wants to look at the 26/11 attack as its crowning achievement.

am absolutely sure no normal person, indian, pakistani or otherwise, would have taken delight in innocents getting slaughtered by terrorists whether it happened in mumbai or karachi or london. interpreting gautham gambhir's statement as a "revenge for 26/11" is a dishonest reaction.

and yes, afridi was, is and will always be a dickhead.
awta

also agree with Sanz somewhat.....definitely seems that his first statement regarding "stop the hatred against India" didn't go down too well with some of the higher ups. A very sudden u-turn and the reference of third country. Strange to say the least

smalishah84

The Tiger King
he didnt say that. dont invent stories.

even gambhir knows the best revenge for 26/11 would be weakening the terrorist network operating in the af-pak region, which india is doing effectively (from india's perspective) with american help. it cant happen on the cricket field.

afridi, the fool has said something stupid, involving size of heart and god etc. lets laugh at him him and move on rather than trying to make sense of it.
LOL......dude don't get me started on this since I don't want to get into politics

Your posts while generally good on cricket would do well to stay away from politics of the "long live democracy variety" that I have seen in the recent past

Last edited:

benchmark00

Firstly, why are you always getting personal and insulting other posters? It's a common theme throughout your posting, whether it be about the Indian team or other issues. It's absolutely frustrating.

Secondly, judging by the opinions of other Indian posters here and their reaction to Afridi's comments, I'm prepared to admit I am wrong in assessing Afridi's comments. I'm not in a position to judge as I am not a Hindu, and I just gave my initial reaction.
tbf to Evermind, you are dumb.

bagapath

oh thanks, now this confirms what i said in my previous post, I think that hindu/muslim thing came out of his mouth accidently, but he clearly meant indian players/indian board
ha ha ha. where does he "clearly mean" indian players/board?

gooch20! i respect the fact that you are embarrassed about afridi's comments. but dont try to defend him. he is not your responsibility.

these things, about religion, dont come out accidentally. they are the result of years of brain washing through religious texts and fundamentalist ideology. all uneducated idiots around the globe think and speak like this. unfortunately pakistan has a big share of this kind. (EDIT: I think that is a bit unfair. Even India and US have these fools in large numbers. different religions, different gods but same stupidity)

Last edited:

bagapath

LOL......dude don't get me started on this since I don't want to get into politics

Your posts while generally good on cricket would do well to stay away from politics of the "long live democracy variety" that I have seen in the recent past
no dude. you cant decide what i can or can't say. i will stick to my guns. you can stick to yours. that is democracy for you. i believe in it whether or not you do.

Last edited:

ankitj

Yeah well let's call Afridi a joker and drop it. This forum has been clear of India-Pak verbal wars and I like it this way :)

Xuhaib

its so funny that people are analyzing Afridi statements with so much detail. This is the same idiot who chewed a cricket ball on camera accused his younger players for ogling the crowd gets caught with call girls and then flip flops and starts playing the Islamic card. He's an idiot of the highest order but tbf he's an entertaining idiot.

Last edited:

smalishah84

The Tiger King
no dude. you cant decide what i can or can't say. i will stick to my guns. you can stick to yours. that is democracy for you. i believe in it whether or not you do.
of course dude I can't decide what you want to say or not.

You too can end up the Afridi way with your own "years of being brainwashed" with some other version of propaganda

four_or_six

Whatever Afridi, or any other player, has said, negative generalisations against a nationality (or team) because of the actions of some of them aren't okay. I have deleted these comments and the response to them, moderators will discuss what, if any, further action to take. Please don't anyone continue along these lines.

Last edited:

indiaholic

I knew my new found respect for Afridi would last for a day at the most. disappointed that he proved me right.

salman85

If we're going to start scrutinizing statements made by sportsmen,then there are far too many examples of others who have said more unappropriate things.I didn't hear of this statement from Afridi since i wasn't on the forums or watching too much of TV for last 1-2 days.The statement itself is stupid.No one can deny that.I love Afridi,but this statement was wrong.But judging him on this statement alone is wrong.

I don't think he was under any political pressure to say something like this.It was just a spur of the moment thing.He's a blunt man,not the most politically correct,and sometimes he will say things that will piss off a lot of people.This is one of those things.I don't think it was planned malice from his side,nor is he bitter over the loss,since you don't expect someone to say positive things and then do a complete u-turn in a few days time.It was a moment of sheer stupidity.The text has been translated in English,so it's also possible that the actual quote in Urdu would have had a different context.Either way,it's a silly comment and one that he should not have made.

Defending him is wrong,but attacking him is not entirely right either.There is a lot that goes into a person's mentality,and the comment made by Afridi reeks of a biased educational system,a biased media etc.These things happen on both sides of the border,but the Indian Players know how to handle the media better than the Pakistanis,which leads to comments such as the ones made by Afridi and even Shoaib Malik.Silly stuff happens on both sides of the border,Quran burning in India,Hindi bashing in Pakistan,but that does not in any way reflect the entire mood of a nation.I believe the middle and lower class in both countries has the same set of values,the same feelings towards the neighbor.The difference arises at the top where our people fail to handle the media as well as their Indian counterparts.This isn't limited to sportsmen alone,but any public figure.The Indians have learned to handle the media well as a result of the stronger educational system.We on the other hand,have not been able to do so since our educational system is poor.

Condemn Afridi's statement.That is justified.But do not judge him on the statement.

Evermind

If we're going to start scrutinizing statements made by sportsmen,then there are far too many examples of others who have said more unappropriate things.I didn't hear of this statement from Afridi since i wasn't on the forums or watching too much of TV for last 1-2 days.The statement itself is stupid.No one can deny that.I love Afridi,but this statement was wrong.But judging him on this statement alone is wrong.

I don't think he was under any political pressure to say something like this.It was just a spur of the moment thing.He's a blunt man,not the most politically correct,and sometimes he will say things that will piss off a lot of people.This is one of those things.I don't think it was planned malice from his side,nor is he bitter over the loss,since you don't expect someone to say positive things and then do a complete u-turn in a few days time.It was a moment of sheer stupidity.The text has been translated in English,so it's also possible that the actual quote in Urdu would have had a different context.Either way,it's a silly comment and one that he should not have made.

Defending him is wrong,but attacking him is not entirely right either.There is a lot that goes into a person's mentality,and the comment made by Afridi reeks of a biased educational system,a biased media etc.These things happen on both sides of the border,but the Indian Players know how to handle the media better than the Pakistanis,which leads to comments such as the ones made by Afridi and even Shoaib Malik.Silly stuff happens on both sides of the border,Quran burning in India,Hindi bashing in Pakistan,but that does not in any way reflect the entire mood of a nation.I believe the middle and lower class in both countries has the same set of values,the same feelings towards the neighbor.The difference arises at the top where our people fail to handle the media as well as their Indian counterparts.This isn't limited to sportsmen alone,but any public figure.The Indians have learned to handle the media well as a result of the stronger educational system.We on the other hand,have not been able to do so since our educational system is poor.

Condemn Afridi's statement.That is justified.But do not judge him on the statement.
While I agree with the aspects of your posts about the nations and Indo-Pak relations, it should be pointed out that Afridi's behaviour in almost every context has been dishonourable. There's isn't a spine in his body - whether we talk about these comments or whether his other activities before that.

If it were a one-off thing, I think people would've reacted differently. Personally, I have no idea why he is well-liked. The guy is an unpleasant hypocrite on- and off-field and useless with the bat. I guess he is a pretty good bowler, but nowhere near an all-time-great.

Blaze 18

Banned
Salman - I saw both those interviews in Urdu and neither of them have been taken out of context. He definitely said what he did. Also, not sure about this Quran burning you speak of. I believe a Pakistani flag was burnt right after the Mumbai attacks, but I know nothing about a Quran being burnt. I take your point though - it was a blatantly stupid comment, but I disagree education or media awareness have a big role to play. Can you imagine Wasim Akram or Inzamam-ul-Haq saying something like that? Like I said, it is a bit disturbing that quite a few Pakistani players still seem to think India vs Pakistan = Hindu vs Muslim, which is just wrong . Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, someone should tell them the number of Muslims in India is almost bigger than the entire population of Pakistan itself.

Anyway - Afridi just appeared on one of our news channels and did another U-turn. He said he likes India a lot and never meant to make those comments. :laugh:

Also, Gambhir never said the win against Pakistan was a revenge for 26/11. He said he'd like to dedicate the World Cup win to the victims of 26/11. Nothing about Pakistan, nothing about revenge. It's just the media twisting stuff as usual.

Last edited:

smalishah84

The Tiger King
, but I disagree education or media awareness have a big role to play. Can you imagine Wasim Akram or Inzamam-ul-Haq saying something like that?
Blaze you must be kidding when you say that education or media awareness do not have a big role to play in this???? :wacko:

It plays a HUGE role. Education brings people into contact with a lot of different ideas. It gives them an opportunity to think things through. There is a world of difference of between an educated and a non-educated man. Sadly Afridi belongs to the latter category