• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Caddick and his big mouth

Rik

Top_Cat said:
Whatever, Rik............Try using your head a bit more instead of running back to Cricinfoś stats database and using that as proof of dominance.
I didn't use the stat server.

Anyway, NZ nearly won that series because of the way they played McGrath and Warne, it's what happens when you plan ahead. If India can work out Warne, then can't NZ work out McGrath?

Last edited:

Rik

Hello and welcome to the Brett Lee thread:

"I'm in the best form of my career, I'm getting faster and faster and I'm maturing as a bowler"...BANG...9-0-58-0...I would say that's Caddickesq but he took 3 Wickets :rolleyes:

Eclipse

Rik said:
Yes but he took them. Big Bad Brett Lee didn't :D

Once again maybe you should actualy pay attention to what actualy happend and stop basing your judgments on a score card!

He was genuinly unlucky not to pick up 4 wickets.

He had Flintoff cought behind but given not out he had Trescotick edjing him high through slips 2 times for 4s and he had Caddick plumb LBW but given not out .

Gillchrist also droped a though chance off him cant remember who the batsman was.

Its was not his best bowling display but certainly nothing to bad about it.

Eclipse

Ohh and you should realise that somtimes it does not matter what line and length you bowl if you are bowling over 155kph you can be very expensive very easaly.

It's always happend to fast bowlers I mean look at J. Thompsons spell at the WACA against the West Indies were he went for 130 odd of 18 overs. And Again its no supprise that shoib is very expensive at times.

I think Bichel deserves to take Lee's place in the next game if Gillespie is fit simpily because of how well he bowled not because Lee is bowling poorly.

warrioryohannan

After such a wonderful performance Bicheal simply cannot be ignored, i always thought Aussies should have Bicheal in the team instead of Lee. The way Lee bowled in the last match, it was anyhing but impressive!

Rik

Eclipse said:
Once again maybe you should actualy pay attention to what actualy happend and stop basing your judgments on a score card!

He was genuinly unlucky not to pick up 4 wickets.

He had Flintoff cought behind but given not out he had Trescotick edjing him high through slips 2 times for 4s and he had Caddick plumb LBW but given not out .

Gillchrist also droped a though chance off him cant remember who the batsman was.

Its was not his best bowling display but certainly nothing to bad about it.
Look mate, he didn't get those wickets, deal with it. You seem to forget that he conceeded more than 1/4 of the runs England scored...

Nothing too bad about it? Don't make me laugh.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
I think Bichel deserves to take Lee's place in the next game if Gillespie is fit simpily because of how well he bowled not because Lee is bowling poorly.
Brett Lee in the World Cup so far:

6 wickets at 36.66 and an economy rate of 5.36 - I'd say that he's a candidate for the chop because he just hasn't performed.

Rik

marc71178 said:
I'd say that he's a candidate for the chop because he just hasn't performed.
Mate, remember when they dropped him before the Ashes? He did very well in 2 Sheild games and was back in the Test side for the rest of the series but it was like nothing had changed, yes he was threatening but his wickets came at 37 a piece. Brett Lee will allways be around both squads as he's the fastest bowler in Australia and, to be fair, he's the ACB's pin-up boy, when he plays more people watch. Cricket is a buisness after all.

Anil

Rik said:
Mate, remember when they dropped him before the Ashes? He did very well in 2 Sheild games and was back in the Test side for the rest of the series but it was like nothing had changed, yes he was threatening but his wickets came at 37 a piece. Brett Lee will allways be around both squads as he's the fastest bowler in Australia and, to be fair, he's the ACB's pin-up boy, when he plays more people watch. Cricket is a buisness after all.
Totally agree with you there. They make a lot of hue and cry about Brett Lee down under, but all said and done, he really doesn't have too much to show for all the attention he gets. He is in the team merely because of his impressive pace, but that needs to be backed up by a proper line and length to be effective, as Shoaib Akhtar learned to his cost against Tendulkar.

Rik

anilramavarma said:
Totally agree with you there. They make a lot of hue and cry about Brett Lee down under, but all said and done, he really doesn't have too much to show for all the attention he gets. He is in the team merely because of his impressive pace, but that needs to be backed up by a proper line and length to be effective, as Shoaib Akhtar learned to his cost against Tendulkar.
I once asked in Cricket Chat weather Brett Lee would still be in the Test Team if he was averaging over 30 with the ball (which he is very very close to doing), and one Aussie replied: "Yes"

Says it all really.

Anna

Very well said Rik. Yes Brett Lee is attractive, but those celebrations? Calm down man! He acts as if every wicket is as big as, say, Tendulkar. Yes, every wicket counts Brett, but you don't have to run about like a loony every time!

I had to get that off my chest. Sorry if I've offended anyone :D

Gotchya

Will everyone get off Brett's back ? !!

Brett Lee is a strike bowler. I have made this point before and I will say it again, Strike bowlers are match winners, they can go all an all out. Mostly, stats will not back it up for these specimen, witness will though. Remeber the game against India anyone ?

The runs column for most strike bowlers is the cost they pay for being attacking and more aggressive. Brett hasn't performed in this tournament but its not been as bad as a perfoemance either. Secondly I see no reason why Australia cant afford him in the team when they have Glenn and Gillespie around. Leave the containemnt to these guys and Lee can attack all that he wants.
I see no sanity in critising him, he's no worse then any other bowler around, just because he's playing in the best team in the world makes him look bad !

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gotchya said:

Brett Lee is a strike bowler.
Well said, mate.

Strike bowlers are a different breed - their job is not line and length but out-and-out hostility.

Remember big Dev? One of the nicest gentlemen in cricket, genuinely fast, not very accurate, often wayward. His biggest trouble was he didn't like hurting people.

But when S/A bounced him (a lot), he just turned round and came out with my second-favourite cricket quote - "You guys is history".

9-65 or so.

Doesn't happen often, but by Jiminy you remember it when it does.

Anil

Gotchya said:

Brett Lee is a strike bowler. I have made this point before and I will say it again, Strike bowlers are match winners, they can go all an all out. Mostly, stats will not back it up for these specimen, witness will though. Remeber the game against India anyone ?

The runs column for most strike bowlers is the cost they pay for being attacking and more aggressive. Brett hasn't performed in this tournament but its not been as bad as a perfoemance either. Secondly I see no reason why Australia cant afford him in the team when they have Glenn and Gillespie around. Leave the containemnt to these guys and Lee can attack all that he wants.
I see no sanity in critising him, he's no worse then any other bowler around, just because he's playing in the best team in the world makes him look bad !
So Glenn McGrath and Jason Gillespie aren't strike bowlers, are they? According to you, they look only at containment. What about Murali and Vaas? What about Shaun Pollock and Akram? Is there some rule which says that strike bowlers can't be economical? "Fast" bowler doesn't translate to "strike" bowler, Gotchya. He probably suffers for being in the best team in the world, as you said, but the fact is that he hasn't so far been worth all the noise that he makes or that is being made about him. Australia are so strong right now that they can afford to have him in the team, but IMO, they are carrying him.

Anil

luckyeddie said:
Well said, mate.

Strike bowlers are a different breed - their job is not line and length but out-and-out hostility.

Remember big Dev? One of the nicest gentlemen in cricket, genuinely fast, not very accurate, often wayward. His biggest trouble was he didn't like hurting people.

But when S/A bounced him (a lot), he just turned round and came out with my second-favourite cricket quote - "You guys is history".

9-65 or so.

Doesn't happen often, but by Jiminy you remember it when it does.
A strike bowler's job is to take wickets, there is no rule book which says that they can bowl like millionaires and never look to bowl a good line and length. In fact pitching it in the right spot is the best way to take wickets.

As for big Dev, don't you think the reason why we remember his 9-65 is that that was the one of the very rare good spells he bowled in his career? There are so many examples of fast, aggressive bowlers who have been accurate and spectacularly successful as strike bowlers for most if not all their careers. What has Brett Lee or Devon Malcolm done(career wise) to be bracketed with them?

Gotchya

So Glenn McGrath and Jason Gillespie aren't strike bowlers, are they? According to

you, they look only at containment. What about Murali and Vaas? What about Shaun

Pollock and Akram? Is there some rule which says that strike bowlers can't be

economical? "Fast" bowler doesn't translate to "strike" bowler, Gotchya. He probably

suffers for being in the best team in the world, as you said, but the fact is that he

hasn't so far been worth all the noise that he makes or that is being made about him.

Australia are so strong right now that they can afford to have him in the team, but

IMO, they are carrying him.

Glenn and Gillespie are not strike bowlers in the sense Brett Lee, Shoaib AKhtar and Thomspon are/were. I am sure you can comprehend that. Sure Pollock, Wasim, Murali an co. are strike bowlers for their teams, but their methods are drastically different from those of the aforementioned bowlers. Lee and Shoaib will look to blast oppositions off, whereas Wasim, Vaas, Pollock will depend lagely on swing or seam or both.

With these bowlers, it either heaven or its hell. Rarely are they able to put in a moderate performance. Either way, 5 wickets for 55 perhaps just won you the game, or no wicket for 60 could cost you the game. Thats a gamble you have to put up with men like Brett Lee and Shoaib Akhtar. You dont have one in your team as of now, I am sure you'll get the hang of things once you get one !

As for the noise, I would have thought you people would get used to all the clamour by now ? Lee's not the first one to do loud talking is he ? Just dont try to dig up excuses to get back at the Aussies ! criticism is welcome but not unfounded. Lee may not be the best Australian bowler at current form, he's certainly better then many other nationals. (Same point I made earlier)

but those celebrations? Calm down man! He acts as if every wicket is as big as, say,Tendulkar. Yes, every wicket counts Brett, but you don't have to run about like a loony every time!
As I said, wait until you get a Akhtar or a Lee, u'll understand what all the hype is all about.

Anna

Originally posted by Gotchya As I said, wait until you get a Akhtar or a Lee, u'll understand what all the hype is all about.
I wasn't talking about the hype, just his celebrations :rolleyes: