• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Damien Fleming

Josh

I feel that Fleming seems to be one of the forgotten bowlers in Australian cricket. I reckon he could have easily played a lot more test matches than he did and he was a very handy member of the Aussie team when he did represent the country.

Just a little note to ensure Flemo that he isn't forgotten. :)

Salamuddin

I feel that Fleming seems to be one of the forgotten bowlers in Australian cricket. I reckon he could have easily played a lot more test matches than he did and he was a very handy member of the Aussie team when he did represent the country.

Just a little note to ensure Flemo that he isn't forgotten. :)
Fleming was one of the most underrated bowlers I ever saw. If not for injury, could have gone on to much bigger and better things.

Pretty good commentator as well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fleming was a very, very fine bowler. So unlucky not to have more of a career than he did, and even the brief career he had was a good one. Easy to forget he actually got into the side before Glenn McGrath did, then disappeared for ages and had a second short shot in the late-1990s.

Paul Reiffel fairly similar too, and to a lesser extent Jason Gillespie.

And before them Bruce Reid and Craig McDermott.

Who says it's only Kiwi seamers who suffer from career-disrupting injuries?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Loved Flem as a cricketer, **** commentator though. Has improved hugely this summer though, been reasonable on the radio, needs to stop talking about his batting though.

howardj

Yes, a very handy swing bowler.

My abiding memory of him will be the 1999 World Cup - rolling the ball down to Gilly for that run out to gazzump South Africa.

Debris

Didn't Fleming also go through that period on the subcontinent where he basically bowled very fast off-spinners. That was fun to watch.

Top_Cat

Fleming was a very, very fine bowler. So unlucky not to have more of a career than he did, and even the brief career he had was a good one. Easy to forget he actually got into the side before Glenn McGrath did, then disappeared for ages and had a second short shot in the late-1990s.
Not quite. Glenn played his first Test in Perth against NZ in the 1993/94 season, Flem played his first Test in Pakistan the following winter.

Flem was a good, solid Test match performer and did it under pressure. Could be remarkably ineffective if there was no swing, though. Very rarely collared, though.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Was thinking just this the other day, actually. Seems to be forgotten, certainly, a very underrated bowler. Always rated him ahead of Gillespie, personally.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Not quite. Glenn played his first Test in Perth against NZ in the 1993/94 season, Flem played his first Test in Pakistan the following winter.

Flem was a good, solid Test match performer and did it under pressure. Could be remarkably ineffective if there was no swing, though. Very rarely collared, though.
He still had the ability to bowl as part of a unit though, and not leak runs and build pressure, when there wasn't any swing to be had.

Burgey

He was a pretty damn good test bowler, but I think he has the potential to be a really, realy good radion analyst. I've really enjoyed his work on ABC this summer.

burr

Loved Flem as a cricketer, **** commentator though. Has improved hugely this summer though, been reasonable on the radio, needs to stop talking about his batting though.
lol ... and reading out 1000s of viewer txt msgs and trying to come up with new names for the corridor of uncertainty and suggesting M. Clarke is a graceful batsman and referring to himself as a bowlologist... 'Twas a fine cricketer though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Really knows his stuff regarding bowling techniques and that. Was a very popular and quality coach up at the Academy.

Smudge

Yeah, I loved his action - I used to attempt to replicate it in the nets inbetween bowling my leggies, but I didn't have those massive feet to splay out at the crease.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thought that might be true hactually; guess I meant "became an established Test bowler" before McGrath. Fleming came in and pretty much did well from the outset; McGrath had, what, 10 or so Tests where he was very poor indeed. As I remember, his Test career basically started in earnest with the WACA Test in 1994\95.

Top_Cat

He still had the ability to bowl as part of a unit though, and not leak runs and build pressure, when there wasn't any swing to be had.
That's probably more accurate than what I said. When there wasn't much swing, he didn't run through sides (later in his career, he probably did a bit more, though) but yeah, as I said, very rarely collared.

Thought that might be true hactually; guess I meant "became an established Test bowler" before McGrath. Fleming came in and pretty much did well from the outset; McGrath had, what, 10 or so Tests where he was very poor indeed. As I remember, his Test career basically started in earnest with the WACA Test in 1994\95.
Poor in terms of wickets but aside from the 'Gabba Test against England in 1994/95, his RPO was decent. The perception in the early days was that he was accurate and could bring the ball back in nicely so would be economical but little else. That changed when he developed that awesome leg-cutter and when he started to swing the ball away, became truly devastating because;

a) It gave him an out-swinger which could take wickets
b) Gave him variation to make the follow-up off-cutter more dangerous