• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Duran Duran Wham Spandau Ballet Culture Club

Dendarii

I'm not too familiar with Wham or Culture Club, but based on the songs that come to mind I'd say Culture Club. For the other two, probably Duran Duran over Spandau Ballet, but there's not much in it.

grecian

Frankie goes to Hollywood.

I never owned any of the three bands mentioned albums though, think I had Planet Earth as a single, borrowed from someone. so I guess Duran for their early stuff, and Ordinary World, the rest was ghastly, Culture Club, they were okay and then 77 miles behind the true hideous personification of disgustingly soulless, bland oover-produced 80s pop that is Spandau.

I generally listened to music from the 70s in the 80s mind.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
These sorts of bands I rank purely on how many songs spring to mind when they're mentioned. And on that, Wham! is clearly the best, based on repertoire of hits.

off the top of the head:
Duran Duran - Girls on Film & Hungry Like the Wolf
Spandau Ballet - Gold
Culture Club - Karma Chameleon
Wham! - Club Tropicana, Wham Rap, I'm Your Man, Wake Me Up Before You Go Go, Last Christmas, Everything She Wants (thanks GTA VC), Young Guns, Freedom

this absolutely sound and robust scientific method should not be questioned imho

Last edited:

Line and Length

These sorts of bands I rank purely on how many songs spring to mind when they're mentioned. And on that, Wham! is clearly the best, based on repertoire of hits.

off the top of the head:
Duran Duran - Girls on Film & Hungry Like the Wolf
Spandau Ballet - Gold
Culture Club - Karma Chameleon
Wham! - Club Tropicana, Wham Rap, I'm Your Man, Wake Me Up Before You Go Go, Last Christmas, Everything She Wants (thanks GTA VC), Young Guns, Freedom

this absolutely sound and robust scientific method should not be questioned imho
I would question the "science" in a method that fails to acknowledge that Spandau Ballet had 10 Top Ten singles in the UK, including "True" which reached number 1 and was a number 4 in the US.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I would question the "science" in a method that fails to acknowledge that Spandau Ballet had 10 Top Ten singles in the UK, including "True" which reached number 1 and was a number 4 in the US.
I've not heard that song enough for it to became pervasive in my mind to the effect when I think Spandau Ballet I then also think 'True'

Therefore, under my highly foolproof scientific method, they're not as good.

Line and Length

I've not heard that song enough for it to became pervasive in my mind to the effect when I think Spandau Ballet I then also think 'True'

Therefore, under my highly foolproof scientific method, they're not as good.
I guess it depends on the station your car radio is tuned into. The one I listen to never plays Wham (thank goodness), George Michael gets an airing however.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The bands listed are pretty much the epitome of 80s British over-produced, Thatcherite, aspirational pop blandness, but Wham! at least had more of a sense of humour about it. Spandau Ballet covered themselves in rugs and definitely sounded like it.

Stephen "Tin Tin" Duffy, the original duran singer, was in a band called The Lilac Time after he left though and they're actually pretty decent in a folk/guitar pop kinda way.

Niall

View To A Kill is ATG Bond song. Its also a hugely underrated Bond film, so over the top but to many gun actors hamming it up. :nopity:

wpdavid

Frankie goes to Hollywood.

I never owned any of the three bands mentioned albums though, think I had Planet Earth as a single, borrowed from someone. so I guess Duran for their early stuff, and Ordinary World, the rest was ghastly, Culture Club, they were okay and then 77 miles behind the true hideous personification of disgustingly soulless, bland oover-produced 80s pop that is Spandau.

I generally listened to music from the 70s in the 80s mind.
You and me both. Still do actually. From memory, I never bought anything by Duran Duran or Wham. I think I bought 'Chant Number 1' by Spandau Ballet, but was never tempted by any of their long players. Obviously none of these acts were targeting folks like me anyway (i.e. not teenage girls). I did actually buy Culture Club's 'Colour by Numbers' album after reading a favourable review in the NME, but it was pretty poor and I only played it a couple of times. If I was feeling generous, I'd credit DD and SB for at least being at the vanguard of a new musical/fashion movement rather than just cashing in in it. But I still didn't rate them.