• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Engineers...(and engineer students)

masterblaster

It's a question I've asked myself. After first year Engineering I chose to do a major in Mechanical and Industrial Engineering. I really enjoyed studying it and it's opened up a great career in the Oil and Gas industry here in Australia. I currently work as a Risk and Reliability Engineer, but I'm trying to move into a more Project Engineering type role with my current company.

I particularly enjoyed the Industrial Engineering side with topics such as Project Management, Quality Engineering, Safety and Risk Engineering and the Mechanical side was pretty stock standard stuff (Engineering Materials, Design, Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics etc.)

But certainly I had a huge interest in Materials Engineering after first year and certainly I could've chosen that. I probably would've enjoyed that too and working as a Materials Engineer in Mining or Oil and Gas would've been fantastic.

Also thought about Environmental Engineering too as there's more and more demand for Environmental Engineers than ever before here in Australia due to the whole global warming issue and the construction of new water desalination plants.

So yeah, would've loved to have been a Materials Engineer or a Environmental Engineer but I guess I'm pretty happy in the long run with what I chose.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well, there has to be a place for all the people who couldn't hack actual science....

:p

I used to be a computer science major, so it applies to me too. In reality, I have nothing but respect for my engineering buddies. The issue with the major is that (at least in the US), it is hard being an engineer after the age of 35. There is a limit in terms of how far you'll progress, and when you reach your mid thirties, the companies often just higher twenty two year olds (who'll work for cheaper) to replace you. By that time, you have to be in business for yourself, or be willing to work (relatively) cheaply. In some of the other majors, there is a ladder that you climb in terms of salary and job responsibility, and you start off very low, and can go very high. Engineers (and Computer Science majors) start out high, but their ceiling is also not very high, unless they go into business for themselves, or switch fields. So I would simply be aware of that. Again, this is the situation here in the US, so your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

masterblaster

Well, there has to be a place for all the people who couldn't hack actual science....

:p

I used to be a computer science major, so it applies to me too. In reality, I have nothing but respect for my engineering buddies. The issue with the major is that (at least in the US), it is hard being an engineer after the age of 35. There is a limit in terms of how far you'll progress, and when you reach your mid thirties, the companies often just higher twenty two year olds (who'll work for cheaper) to replace you. By that time, you have to be in business for yourself, or be willing to work (relatively) cheaply. In some of the other majors, there is a ladder that you climb in terms of salary and job responsibility, and you start off very low, and can go very high. Engineers (and Computer Science majors) start out high, but their ceiling is also not very high, unless they go into business for themselves, or switch fields. So I would simply be aware of that. Again, this is the situation here in the US, so your mileage may vary.
Good post here, but I'll disagree with that from an Australian perspective. Engineers are amongst the most highly paid professions in Australia. Engineers over the age of 35 often pull in salaries in the area of $150,000 - $200,000 per annum, mainly thanks to the Mining and Resources industry boom Australia is currently experiencing.

Of course if you're working with International Engineering companies such as Chevron, Fluor, Aker Kvaerner, BHP Biliton and WorleyParsons, this provides some great money and a great pathway to advancement into either becoming a Lead Engineer in your chosen discipline or ofcourse a path into a Project Management which once again can be very lucrative.

Of course I'm mainly talking about the traditional Engineering disciplines here ie. Chemical, Mechanical/Industrial, Electrical, Civil, Materials etc. Computer Engineers and Computer Scientists still continue to be paid poorly here in Australia compared to the other Engineering fields.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Good post here, but I'll disagree with that from an Australian perspective. Engineers are amongst the most highly paid professions in Australia. Engineers over the age of 35 often pull in salaries in the area of $150,000 - $200,000 per annum, mainly thanks to the Mining and Resources industry boom Australia is currently experiencing.

Of course if you're working with International Engineering companies such as Chevron, Fluor, Aker Kvaerner, BHP Biliton and WorleyParsons, this provides some great money and a great pathway to advancement into either becoming a Lead Engineer in your chosen discipline or ofcourse a path into a Project Management which once again can be very lucrative.

Of course I'm mainly talking about the traditional Engineering disciplines here ie. Chemical, Mechanical/Industrial, Electrical, Civil, Materials etc. Computer Engineers and Computer Scientists still continue to be paid poorly here in Australia compared to the other Engineering fields.
Very interesting stuff. Good contrast from the US. Great to see it.

masterblaster

What I've also found from my experience as a young 22 year old engineer is that you don't know that much when you come out of uni. Experience and industry knowledge is truly everything.

To apply all those Engineering fundamentals to industry is really tough initially and you do not have the experience to handle multi million dollar Engineering projects.

This is where Engineers over the age of 35 are so critical to an Engineering organisation's success. They have the Engineering and Project experience and expertise. They are also responsible for mentoring us younger Engineers.

Without the 35 year old and above Engineers, most of these companies simply wouldn't survive. They are critical to a company's success and eventual profitability.

Last edited:

Beleg

good posts. :) I think the best thing about the British engineering education system is the integrated (optional, and often very competitive) 1 year placement - it really pads up the CV and provides valuable experience.

Sudeep

Initially, I wanted to do Computer Science, but poor performance in my senior high school year meant I had to choose something which was lower in demand. I chose Chemical Engineering because a) I thought I liked chemistry (even through chemical engineering is not just about chemistry) and b) my brother was also a chemical engineer, and I thus knew what to expect from it. I went on to complete my BS in Chemical Engineering, and am now a PhD candidate in Chemical & Environmental Engineering.

I don't regret at all of having chosen Chemical Engineering. It's probably the best platform I could have got for what my research interest has developed into: Environmental Biotechnology (specifically on cleaning air using bacteria). In retrospect, I probably would not have enjoyed Computer Science as much as I do what I'm doing now. The only other profession I have always thought of being better for me than being a Chemical/Environmental engineer is a print journalist. I never really developed my writing skills though to the point that I could seriously think of doing it.

masterblaster

good posts. :) I think the best thing about the British engineering education system is the integrated (optional, and often very competitive) 1 year placement - it really pads up the CV and provides valuable experience.
It is similar here in Australia. At the university I went to, as part of the Engineering degree you had to complete a mandatory 3 month full time employment stint at an Engineering Company.

Without it you could not graduate even if you had completed all your coursework and thesis components. Also it was mandatory in order to gain Graduate membership with the Institute of Engineers Australia, the governing body for Engineers here.

I can say it was worth doing the 3 months, I learned heaps, got paid really well and it really looked good on my resume and opened up a great career path. If it's not mandatory elsewhere, I'd still recommend doing a placement. Make sure you get paid though!

masterblaster

Initially, I wanted to do Computer Science, but poor performance in my senior high school year meant I had to choose something which was lower in demand. I chose Chemical Engineering because a) I thought I liked chemistry (even through chemical engineering is not just about chemistry) and b) my brother was also a chemical engineer, and I thus knew what to expect from it. I went on to complete my BS in Chemical Engineering, and am now a PhD candidate in Chemical & Environmental Engineering.

I don't regret at all of having chosen Chemical Engineering. It's probably the best platform I could have got for what my research interest has developed into: Environmental Biotechnology (specifically on cleaning air using bacteria). In retrospect, I probably would not have enjoyed Computer Science as much as I do what I'm doing now. The only other profession I have always thought of being better for me than being a Chemical/Environmental engineer is a print journalist. I never really developed my writing skills though to the point that I could seriously think of doing it.
I think you've chosen the right path. How long is the duration of your PhD? When do you expect to finish?

Currently doing a Master of Engineering myself part time alongside work, don't think I'd want to go more advanced in Engineering than that. Although doing a PhD in Engineering is admirable, so well done and keep going!

irfan

I think you've chosen the right path. How long is the duration of your PhD? When do you expect to finish?

Currently doing a Master of Engineering myself part time alongside work
, don't think I'd want to go more advanced in Engineering than that. Although doing a PhD in Engineering is admirable, so well done and keep going!
Hey MB, hows part-time masters combined with f/t work going? I am considering doing it after I graduate but a bit worried about the workload.

FTR, I am 4th yr Electrical & Nanotech (Physics) student and yeah if I decided to change Eng degrees it would probably be enviro eng. Always think about changing science degrees though (possibly Biomed), cos Physics can be a real pain in the ass.

masterblaster

Hey MB, hows part-time masters combined with f/t work going? I am considering doing it after I graduate but a bit worried about the workload.

FTR, I am 4th yr Electrical & Nanotech (Physics) student and yeah if I decided to change Eng degrees it would probably be enviro eng. Always think about changing science degrees though (possibly Biomed), cos Physics can be a real pain in the ass.
It's not too bad actually. Although I'm doing my Masters on a 'Off Campus' basis. There was no way I could attend On Campus Lectures whilst simultaneously working every day from 8:00am - 5:00pm. The Off Campus arrangement is great, the uni sends me all the lecture notes, readings, notes etc. in one big package before the semester starts.

There's good support from the lecturers if you need it and there's always plenty of people to talk to on the online subject discussion boards. I'm not sure about On Campus study with full time work, but if you can find a good Masters that's off campus it's certainly manageable with work if you have the discipline.

By the way, what area are you considering doing your Masters in?

irfan

It's not too bad actually. Although I'm doing my Masters on a 'Off Campus' basis. There was no way I could attend On Campus Lectures whilst simultaneously working every day from 8:00am - 5:00pm. The Off Campus arrangement is great, the uni sends me all the lecture notes, readings, notes etc. in one big package before the semester starts.

There's good support from the lecturers if you need it and there's always plenty of people to talk to on the online subject discussion boards. I'm not sure about On Campus study with full time work, but if you can find a good Masters that's off campus it's certainly manageable with work if you have the discipline.

By the way, what area are you considering doing your Masters in?
Not entirely sure which stream ATM (it is 2 years down the track) but yeah just interested to know how postgrads/f/t engineers combine the workload.

masterblaster

Not entirely sure which stream ATM (it is 2 years down the track) but yeah just interested to know how postgrads/f/t engineers combine the workload.
Yeah, if you're working full time I'd definitely go the 'Off Campus' route if you can. My experiences with Distance Education have been good so far so I'd recommend it.

When I was looking around for good relevant postgraduate programs, there were quite a few that were Off Campus. If you ever need any help tracking down information on postgraduate uni courses, I'd be glad to help.

Beleg

It is similar here in Australia. At the university I went to, as part of the Engineering degree you had to complete a mandatory 3 month full time employment stint at an Engineering Company.

Without it you could not graduate even if you had completed all your coursework and thesis components. Also it was mandatory in order to gain Graduate membership with the Institute of Engineers Australia, the governing body for Engineers here.

I can say it was worth doing the 3 months, I learned heaps, got paid really well and it really looked good on my resume and opened up a great career path. If it's not mandatory elsewhere, I'd still recommend doing a placement. Make sure you get paid though!
Yeah, I am currently doing my one year internship, it pays really well too, which is always a good thing. And the experience is amazing.

What's the job market in Australia like for Mechanical Engineers interested in the petroleum/oil/off-shore/energy fields? Is more of the hiring done by the multinationals or are there a lot of smallish/medium sized local companies offering good salaries? :)

Sudeep

Currently doing a Master of Engineering myself part time alongside work, don't think I'd want to go more advanced in Engineering than that. Although doing a PhD in Engineering is admirable, so well done and keep going!
It's a 4-5 year course. I'm done with two years; I expect to complete in another two. :) Knowing my personality, I think there's a larger chance that I'll end up in academics than in industry.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's a 4-5 year course. I'm done with two years; I expect to complete in another two. :) Knowing my personality, I think there's a larger chance that I'll end up in academics than in industry.
Good for you! My plan is to do the same. Industry sucks :p. Academia is where it's at! Publish-or-perish sucks sometimes, but you're going to have crap everywhere.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I really don't understand why anyone does engineering, to be honest. I mean, I know why people go into liberal arts and other fake majors, but most engineers are somewhat intelligent, and could do real science. :p