• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England World Cup 15

Rik

Well Kabir has only been given one go this tour so it would be quite odd for him to be picked for the WC Squad...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rich2001 said:

I heard that after the World Cup England plan to scrap the notes and start again with the team from the drawing board, so expect a different looking side(s) for the Zim/SA series.
But who goes and who stays?

At least the top 5 from this test should be safe, as are Harmison and Hoggard.

Stewart wouldn't have come back today if he was being thought of going (unless Read is going to get a chance)

Expect Giles back for Dawson.

That leaves 2 gaps, and both Thorpe and Gough will be hopefully challenging then.

chris.hinton

Kabir Ali is a good young talent who is very consistant, so what if he went for 25 in 2 overs, is that that for his England Career? dont forget he may have been Nervy, He not as quick as Anderson or Harminson but i would have taken him instead of Hoggard you never going to find out how good young players are unless you pick them for COMPETITIVE MATCHES.

Rik you are always on about averages to justify selection well i tell you that the 4 front runners of england in the next 5 years Vaughan,Tresothick,Jones and Harminson had poor FC averages....

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
What on earth has Matthew Hoggard done to deserve being dropped from the 15?

Yes, Kabir Ali has a lot of talent and in my mind is likely to become a major player for England soon, but this World Cup is too early!

He had a chance to prove he could handle pressure in Australia, and didn't, whilst Harmison and Anderson did. Hence, he's not in the fifteen. Capische?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
Kabir Ali is a good young talent who is very consistant, so what if he went for 25 in 2 overs, is that that for his England Career? dont forget he may have been Nervy, He not as quick as Anderson or Harminson but i would have taken him instead of Hoggard you never going to find out how good young players are unless you pick them for COMPETITIVE MATCHES.
Hang on, no-one even went close to saying it's the end of his career.

To take him ahead of Hoggard would be pure stupidity, especially with 2 other young inexperienced bowlers in the 15.

I bet that you wouldn't be championing him so much if he played for a different county anyway!

As for nerves as an excuse, Anderson and Harmison never suffered from them...

chris.hinton

Neil Pickup said:
What on earth has Matthew Hoggard done to deserve being dropped from the 15?

Yes, Kabir Ali has a lot of talent and in my mind is likely to become a major player for England soon, but this World Cup is too early!

He had a chance to prove he could handle pressure in Australia, and didn't, whilst Harmison and Anderson did. Hence, he's not in the fifteen. Capische?
Too Early he is good Enough at the moment, He only bowled 2 overs in Australia that is not much of a Chance.

Also Nerves affect Different people, some get Nervy and some dont

I rate him, i also thought that Graham Swann should be given another chance
I

Rik

chris.hinton said:

Rik you are always on about averages to justify selection well i tell you that the 4 front runners of england in the next 5 years Vaughan,Tresothick,Jones and Harminson had poor FC averages....
Yes so what if I do? Kabir has only been given one go, and that wasn't a ODI so how can the England Selectors trust him in a competition such as a World Cup? Harmison and Anderson have impressed so they should go. Replacing one of them with a player who has hardly played on the tour would be very odd.

Rik

chris.hinton said:
Too Early he is good Enough at the moment, He only bowled 2 overs in Australia that is not much of a Chance.

Also Nerves affect Different people, some get Nervy and some dont

I rate him, i also thought that Graham Swann should be given another chance
I
So you think you should take a player to a World Cup just because he's only bowled 2 expensive overs and you think he's good enough?

As for Graeme Swann...he will be picked if he actually shows any form with either bat or ball.

chris.hinton

Rik said:
So you think you should take a player to a World Cup just because he's only bowled 2 expensive overs and you think he's good enough?

As for Graeme Swann...he will be picked if he actually shows any form with either bat or ball.
Graeme Swann is a good all-rounder, is it the attack of the averages again Rik?

Kabir is good enough to be pick, but the way they are treating him is Shocking if he played for Surrey it would be different

Rik

chris.hinton said:
Graeme Swann is a good all-rounder, is it the attack of the averages again Rik?

Kabir is good enough to be pick, but the way they are treating him is Shocking if he played for Surrey it would be different
Graham Swann has done nothing to suggest that he deserves a recall, he's just not done it with either bat or ball for several years despite a promising start.

Kabir may be good enough but he hasn't played enough really and also I feel that he must not be bowling too well in the nets if he's still no where near a place in the ODI team. It's all fine saying that you think he's good enough, but expecting the selectors to feel the same way is quite something else. Remembering that the WC Squad is only 15 players and Anderson and Harmison have impressed, there is no place for Kabir in the squad.

Rik

chris.hinton said:
Oh, the good old Surrey bias...well what I'm seeing here is a case of the less well known Worcestershire bias...

Rik

chris.hinton said:
How, Because he is good enough for the england team
Because if he didn't play for Worcestershire you wouldn't care a jot...

Also because you don't take people to the World Cup just on potential, you take them on hard evedence and maybe some potential. Harmison and Anderson have performed, Kabir hasn't in his one oppertunity, so he's not going! Now take off your Worcestershire County Cap now and think clearly, would you take a player to the World Cup, yes the biggest ODI Competition of them all, on the basis that he took 1-25 off 2 overs against the Australia A side and you think he's good enough?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
How, Because he is good enough for the england team
But who would you replace from the 15? Hoggard would be a stupid one.

If Ali was really in their minds he'd have played in one or more VB game, but he didn't, and IMO was just there to make up the numbers and make us all think the Academy is doing good things.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Back to the point about nerves, remembering we're talking about the World Cup, the biggest ODI cricket event in the world...

Kabir - Struggles with nerves in warm-up game.
Anderson & Harmison - Don't struggle in Tests or FULL Internationals in VB Series

Hoggard has international experience (he'll be the second most experienced quick man), and experience of African conditions. And don't forget how much he swung it in Zimbabwe last winter!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:

Hoggard has international experience (he'll be the second most experienced quick man), and experience of African conditions. And don't forget how much he swung it in Zimbabwe last winter!
Let's just hope he has the chance to do it in Zimbabwe again!

The Argonaut

The main complaint I have with the English squad is that there are not enough batsmen. Five if you include Collingwood. If one gets out of form then there is no spare for back up.

5 bats, 1 WK, 4 AR and 5 bowl. Taking Irani, Flintoff and White is a risk. Replace one of them with a batsman then the balance would be OK.

Since the squad was announced Harmison and Irani have not gone so well. Maybe they'll be fringe players. England needs to get Giles and Flintoff to have a couple of games in Australia before the WC.

The best side from this squad would be

Trescothick, Knight, Vaughan, Hussain, Collingwood, Stewart, Flintoff, White, Giles, Caddick, Anderson