• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fielding Statistics: A New Approach

viriya

Nah, pretty sure fielders don't cognitively think about the match situation when lining up a catch, let alone the ones that are cut straight to gully or whatever.
I think I can agree when it comes to great catches cos usually there's no time to think. But for drops, I'm certain it goes through their minds when getting under a catch the magnitude of the situation. It shows in their faces after they drop it. It's not the same face when they drop a tail-ender.

viriya

Yeah I'm dead certain it occured to Sangakkara how significant the Williamson catch was when he put it down with the .05s he had before it hit him.
A slip catch is different. But the point is, his drop was significant. On another day he would take a great catch to get Williamson out and get credit for that. It's about the affect on the match at the end of the day.

RossTaylorsBox

How is it massively incomplete when I know all the catches he took, whether those drops were legitimate (based on the commentary stating whether it was expected to be taken) and whether any catches he took were great? It doesn't have all the information but as a first foray to say it has no value just makes no sense. Your argument is that fielding is more complicated than I'm modeling it to be, which is obviously the case, but that argument applies to simple batting stats like average. I'm attempting to create those simple stats first. You gotta walk before you run.

If what you're claiming was accepted, there would be no way to even rate a batsman - because "there are variables that will never show up in scorecards".
It's incomplete because you haven't seen the catches yourself, you're going on second-hand information. Catches are more of a discrete event than a batting innings, which is why we can use averages and strike rates as a fairly good measure. I don't know why you can't just calculate a simple drop ratio with the assumption that the catch difficulties average out, rather than trying to fit in a bunch of other variables that are far more difficult to establish.

Athlai

Not Terrible
A slip catch is different. But the point is, his drop was significant. On another day he would take a great catch to get Williamson out and get credit for that. It's about the affect on the match at the end of the day.
And I think it's meaningless.

The importance of a batsman does not directly impact the fielder as a rule. It certainly can but this is reflex and technique we're talking about. How many catches go down because a player has time to over think it?

viriya

Match significance is entirely meaningless to the quality of a fielder. A bad fielder is as likely to drop Bradman as he is Chris Martin. A good fielder can always drop a difficult chance. Going by arbitrary views of a biased commentator that is either "oh thats a dolly" or "that catch was practically impossible" is pretty ridiculous. There are a lot of grey areas.

You frequently see a cricinfo commentator get it completely wrong missing dropped catches because they didn't think it was close live. Then they can't go back and edit it when they see a reply BECAUSE THEYRE BUSY REPORTING ON THE NEXT BALL.

It's a broken system and entirely unsuitable for any kind of meaningful analysis. Which is why you're numbers are coming up looking like a bingo board.
I'm not claiming the commentary is perfect - just that they usually get it right. It's not like they get it wrong more often than not (I've followed commentary while watching matches live and it's generally inline. Yes, they do mess up sometimes but it's not the norm.

It would be more helpful if you can exemplify why/where the results are like a bingo board. I already explained why Dilshan was rated lower. Any other case you can point out (It would be helpful if you can).

viriya

It's incomplete because you haven't seen the catches yourself, you're going on second-hand information. Catches are more of a discrete event than a batting innings, which is why we can use averages and strike rates as a fairly good measure. I don't know why you can't just calculate a simple drop ratio with the assumption that the catch difficulties average out, rather than trying to fit in a bunch of other variables that are far more difficult to establish.
There is a simple drop % that you can look at. Why is it such a bad idea to ignore cases that are described as tough chances? The drop % already tell you a story - that good fielders tend to drop <10% of the catches they attempt.

RossTaylorsBox

The best batsman is not the one with the best technique. It's the guy who makes the most runs (in simplistic terms). Bradman didn't have the "best" technique - he was just so much better than everyone else in getting the job done.

In fielding terms, the "best" fielders would have a low drop rate and make great catches while affecting direct hits and saving runs. Having a good "technique" is irrelevant - results are what matters.
I agree, results are the only thing that matters. So why do you care about the quality of the batsman.

viriya

And I think it's meaningless.

The importance of a batsman does not directly impact the fielder as a rule. It certainly can but this is reflex and technique we're talking about. How many catches go down because a player has time to over think it?
Even if he doesn't have time to think of it, in terms of the match a drop or a catch matters more if it's off a top batsman. That's what matters. Not how good the fielder's technique was.

I can agree that it can be argued to be arbitrary - you can ignore that and still find value in the simple drop % stat which does not take the batsman's rating into account.

RossTaylorsBox

There is a simple drop % that you can look at. Why is it such a bad idea to ignore cases that are described as tough chances? The drop % already tell you a story - that good fielders tend to drop <10% of the catches they attempt.
I'm saying you shouldn't ignore tough chances, but you should ignore trying to model whether a chance was tough or not. That's what I mean by making the assumption that the difficulty distribution is constant for everyone.

viriya

I agree, results are the only thing that matters. So why do you care about the quality of the batsman.
The quality of the batsman affects the result of the match. A great catch is a great catch regardless of the batsman (in terms of technique), but if it's off a top batsman it has more value and impacts the match more. That increases the "quality" of the catch.

viriya

I'm saying you shouldn't ignore tough chances, but you should ignore trying to model whether a chance was tough or not. That's what I mean by making the assumption that the difficulty distribution is constant for everyone.
You're assuming that I can't parse whether a catch was tough or not. Why would you think that when it's possible to parse without a lot of issues. There's no reason to ignore that information if it's readily available. If your argument is that the commentary gets it wrong sometimes, I agree, but it gets it right more often than not.

viriya

Clearly they don't though if these "rankings" are anything to go by.
Dude I get that you don't like numbers - why do you keep bringing it up if you don't have anything concrete to say? Say something specific like "I think Dilshan should not be rated that low" or just say "I hate numbers" and move on with your life. Clearly statistical exercises are not your cup of tea.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dude I get that you don't like numbers - why do you keep bringing it up if you don't have anything concrete to say? Say something specific like "I think Dilshan should not be rated that low" or just say "I hate numbers" and move on with your life. Clearly statistical exercises are not your cup of tea.
The ironic thing is I use a lot of spreadsheets and numbers every day but I know that you cannot rate things without watching them, and this just goes to prove it even moreso than some of your other ratings.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The quality of the batsman affects the result of the match. A great catch is a great catch regardless of the batsman (in terms of technique), but if it's off a top batsman it has more value and impacts the match more. That increases the "quality" of the catch.
And what if a better batsman's chances are overall more difficult because they hit the ball harder/more cleanly than an inferior player?

Wouldn't that go against your own reasoning? There are levels of difficulty beyond some dude at cricinfo saying whatevers on his mind or easiest to type.

RossTaylorsBox

It has nothing to do with being a good fielder though. Mendis catching a sitter from Anderson shouldn't contribute to him being a good fielder, but dropping it should affect his rating negatively because it's an unexpected event (sort of like information theory I guess). At best you can say that the catch of a good batsmen is influential in the context of the game, but you shouldn't extrapolate this to an individual's general fielding ability.

You're assuming that I can't parse whether a catch was tough or not. Why would you think that when it's possible to parse without a lot of issues. There's no reason to ignore that information if it's readily available. If your argument is that the commentary gets it wrong sometimes, I agree, but it gets it right more often than not.
You can't objectively know the difficulty of the chance without watching the matches. How do you know if a tough chance was made tough only because the fielder was good (or bad) enough to make it one in the first place? What is the average ratio of "tough" to "easy" chances, and is this ratio related to the ranking? One of the problems you have from a statistical perspective is trying to wedge in every variable you have. Simplicity and understandability is far more important.

viriya

The ironic thing is I use a lot of spreadsheets and numbers every day but I know that you cannot rate things without watching them, and this just goes to prove it even moreso than some of your other ratings.
You should trust your eyes and not spreadsheets though.

viriya

And what if a better batsman's chances are overall more difficult because they hit the ball harder/more cleanly than an inferior player?

Wouldn't that go against your own reasoning? There are levels of difficulty beyond some dude at cricinfo saying whatevers on his mind or easiest to type.
In general as an informed viewer I can usually make a judgment call on whether a catch was regulation or tough just by watching the game. I'm assuming that the commentator has a similar skill level which isn't a stretch. I'm sure he gets it wrong sometimes but that would be an exception especially since he has tens of thousands of people scrutinizing his comments.