• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

GROUP C - New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Kenya

chipmonk

Love how Sanath took charge

0.1 Bond to Tharanga, 1 run, off the mark with a slash over point, Bond slips that in just a little wide and the sweeper cuts it off
0.2 Bond to Jayasuriya, FOUR, full and wide, Jayasuriya gets a thick outside edge the ball goes flying to third man, one bounce over the ropes, despairign dive by the fielder
0.3 Bond to Jayasuriya, no run, better line, outside the off stump and left alone
0.4 Bond to Jayasuriya, FOUR, wide outside off, slashed over point and it's square, the fielder at the deep cant get to it
0.5 Bond to Jayasuriya, no run, good length outside off, Jayasuriya has a feel at it, lets it go through to the keeper
0.6 Bond to Jayasuriya, no run, full and on the legs, pushed to mid-on

2.1 Bond to Tharanga, 2 runs, fullish and on the off, Tharanga launches that over mid-on but has not hit the ball too well, a couple of runs as the fielder tidies up
2.2 Bond to Tharanga, FOUR, short of a good length and outside the off, Tharanga gives himself a bit more room and carves the ball through cover. Lovely shot for four
2.3 Bond to Tharanga, 1 run, pushed into the off side for a single
2.4 Bond to Jayasuriya, FOUR, full and outside the off, Jayasuriya gets his weight behind the ball and launches it over mid-off, that is a cracking hit
2.5 Bond to Jayasuriya, FOUR, overpitched and on the pads, the bowler over-compensating here, Jayasuriya goes right back and whips the ball over square-leg, another boundary
2.6 Bond to Jayasuriya, no run, short of a good length and outside the off, chopped down to short third-man

6.1 Gillespie to Tharanga, 3 runs, low full-toss on the pads, Tharanga swats that ball down the ground towards long-on
6.2 Gillespie to Jayasuriya, SIX, Bang! short one banged in, Jayasuriya picks up the line and length very very early. Short-arm pull hit so well it goes all the way for six
6.3 Gillespie to Jayasuriya, SIX, Repeat! Another short one and again Jayasuriya swivels and sends the ball flat and powerfully into the stands
6.4 Gillespie to Jayasuriya, 2 runs, fullish and on the off, Jayasuriya goes straight back over the bowler's head this time, he gets under the ball too much and it goes high up in the air, Bond runs, dives but can't quite get to it
6.5 Gillespie to Jayasuriya, no run, fullish and on the stumps once more, this time Jayasuriya just chips the ball to mid-on, Bonds has a chance to make amends. Simple chance. Bond gets under the ball and somehow manages to drop that sitter! A life for Jayasuriya who was cursing himself and beginning to walk away
6.6 Gillespie to Jayasuriya, 1 wide, full and down the leg side, flicked and missed, wide called
6.6 Gillespie to Jayasuriya, 2 runs, worked away through the leg side, more runs, this is looking very difficult for New Zealand

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
That was painful.

As Athlai says, we can't copy other teams, we have to be smart about selections.

there were some strong points and severe weaknesses in the team that played today.

Vincent
McCullum
Fulton
Taylor
Styris
McMillan
Oram
Vettori
Bond
Gillespie
Martin

First things first, replace Martin and Gillespie with Patel and Scott. Patel is quality and it won't be hard for Scott to do better than Martin and Gillespie.

Vincent and McCullum is a highly unstable opening combination, and it proved so today. Replace with a certain Stephen Fleming methinks, but unless someone drops dead and Bracewell develops intelligence, that won't happen. We're just going to have to stick with it.

Another issue I have is why not select Chris Harris? He could have stopped Sri Lanka dead with his medium pacers.

The big issue is once again we have been shown that Bond can't perform every time, even the best have off days and when that happens the rest of the team have to step up. That didn't happen. We cannot rely on bond as our only effective seamer.

Good points are I like the order of Fulton, Taylor and Styris. Fulton is consistent and Taylor isn't exposed to the new ball as much. Styris makes a great workman at five. Oram comes in at seven which IMO is where he is most effective.

My wishful thinking team

Vincent
Fleming
Fulton
Taylor
Styris
Harris
McCullum
Vettori
Bond
Patel
Scott

My slighly realistic team

Vincent
McCullum
Fulton
Taylor
Styris
McMillan
Oram
Vettori
Bond
Patel
Scott

Athlai

Not Terrible
Na, I wouldn't bring Scott in I think he'll get whacked even more than Gillespie and Martin, Franklin would be my first choice, but he's not been selected now has he?

Bring in McCullum.

Vincent
B McCullum
P Fulton
R Taylor
S Styris (bring in front of Taylor if we're 2 down in 2 overs)
C McMillan
J Oram (move up or down depending on match situation, if a teams on the back foot, slog away)
D Vettori
N McCullum
S Bond
J Patel

Looks like a fantastic option to me, Longest tail of any team (aside from perhaps the Aussies and also acknowledging what Broad does for the English side) good slow bowling with a lot of options.

Of course if the pitch has anything in it you would replace him with the likes of Gillespie but otherwise this could be a formidable line up, we also have some great part timers in the likes of Styris and McMillan, Oram can be a wicket taker when he's in the mood so we have no real lack of bowling options.

This is our strongest batting team, probably our strongest fielding team and gives us a strategy for bowling. I'd like to see it out there but its wishful thinking.

Flem274*

123/5
Nathan mcCullum off memory has a poor domestic record. Would still back him to do better than Martin however.

On anothe note, Gillespie created some chances today, a bit unlucky i feel.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Let down by Bond's fielding, but when it rains it pours.

McCullum is a handy T20 bowler, looked hard to get away in last years tournament easily one of the best bowlers which is why I think he's in the squad, that and his ability to score quickly.

Flem274*

123/5
Let down by Bond's fielding, but when it rains it pours.

McCullum is a handy T20 bowler, looked hard to get away in last years tournament easily one of the best bowlers which is why I think he's in the squad, that and his ability to score quickly.
Fair enough then. Though I cynically doubt we'll see much of Patel and mcCullum because Patel especially is a major threat to the place of our new captain.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I've had the suspicion for a while now that Patel is/ will turn out a better spinner than Vettori if given the chance.
Different kinds of bowler though, offering different things at any time. Vettori is one of the most unique spinners in the world and I doubt we will ever drop him while he is fit to play. Patel I think is a fantastic prospect for NZ cricket, his ability to make top order batsman look like idiots is a fantastic one.

Perm

Full credit to Sri Lanka, they won the match and played better cricket. However, some of our team selections need to come under serious scrutiny. Chris Martin and Mark Gillespie aren't good enough, they're cannon-fodder against batsman who can hit through the line. Jeetan Patel should be in the side, as he is the only bowler (other than Bond) who can bowl at the death of an innings. I would like to see Bradley Scott and Nathan McCullum get a game also, both bowlers who can prove difficult to get away and can tonk it a bit. Pretty happy with our batting lineup, although switching Fulton and Taylor around is a possible option.

I guess it just goes to show how much our team relies on a couple of players, Bond and Styris in particular IMO. Styris wasn't able to post many runs on the board and Bond got absolutely hammered by Jayasuriya, when our two most consistent performers aren't able to produce the goods it weakens our team significantly. Good knocks by Fulton, Taylor and Oram though while Vettori bowled well, becoming a bit of a pattern against Sri Lanka.

Days of Grace

I guess it just goes to show how much our team relies on a couple of players, Bond and Styris in particular IMO. Styris wasn't able to post many runs on the board and Bond got absolutely hammered by Jayasuriya, when our two most consistent performers aren't able to produce the goods it weakens our team significantly. .

There is no excuse for other batsmen not to perform at least semi-consistently. Taylor, Fulton, Oram, McMillan, etc.

As for the bowlers, well, that is our weak point, apart from Bond and Vettori. It would be madness not to bring Patel in for the next round of matches. Bond and Patel to bowl at the death.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Over recent times, Fultons been Mr consistent second to only Styris IMO.

Taylor was... for a while. But Oram and McMillan have always had problems with staying in good nick.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Since the CH he's averaged 46.78 could be a real turning point in his career. I think he's looked great lately.

Perm

There is no excuse for other batsmen not to perform at least semi-consistently. Taylor, Fulton, Oram, McMillan, etc.
Of course, I'm just saying that Styris is definitely our rock in the middle order. McMillan is inconsistent, Oram has been largely rubbish while Taylor is still very inexperienced. Fulton is really only the other solid option in our batting lineup IMO.

chaminda_00

NZ prove that Scaly was right they were just a bunch a medicores :laugh:

Hmm reckon it is time to give Hasantha a game, Weijkoon has been pretty useless. Surprised that Dilhara has been decent in this form. Also the tactics Jayawardene has used with bowling has been right on the money. Would have bowled Dilshan when Weijkoon was getting smashed.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Vincent's worth a mention too, in the past year he's averaged 39.07, I'm expecting a big knock from him soon.

Our batting really only holds Vincent, Fulton, Taylor (maybe...), and Styris.

The likes of McCullum (up the order at least), Oram and McMillan can hardly be relied on anymore than Afridi for their role in the game. Styris's lbw decision was the turning point in last nights match for me.