• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If Symonds does not return to the Aussie squad...

Bees

in time for the South Africa series in December/January, which team will have the stronger batting lineup?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Still Australia. South Africa arguably the better bowling unit though, IMO.
Assuming RSA looks something like:

Smith
McKenzie
Amla
Kallis
Prince
ABdV
Boucher+
Morkel
Harris
Steyn
Ntini

Given the current strength and weaknesses of both sides, I'd say they're about even, but Australia with the natural edge of being at home.

krkode

I agree about batting. Australia's batting is still up there with the best. This is probably most easily seen by a simple numerical tally of Australian batsmen averages and comparing it to the South African averages.

I feel like the bowling would be about equal; neither team has a great spinner, but they each have quality fast bowlers to take advantage of the conditions, though none of them head and shoulders above the rest based on current form and past record, IMO.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I agree about batting. Australia's batting is still up there with the best. This is probably most easily seen by a simple numerical tally of Australian batsmen averages and comparing it to the South African averages.
Hayden 52.62 - Smith 49.23
Katich 39.91 - McKenzie 39.31
Ponting 58.05 - Amla 38.18
Hussey 66.92 - Kallis 55.46
Clarke 46.78 - Prince 42.23
Watson 26.66 - ABdV 41.61
Haddin 31.33 - Boucher 29.94

Australia with the superior tail.

pup11

Assuming RSA looks something like:

Smith
McKenzie
Amla
Kallis
Prince
ABdV
Boucher+
Morkel
Harris
Steyn
Ntini

Given the current strength and weaknesses of both sides, I'd say they're about even, but Australia with the natural edge of being at home.
As Prince said on current form maybe the South African bowling-attack could be rated as a tad better than the Aussie attack, but the Australian batting line-up is much, much better than the South African batting line-up with or without Symonds in there.

Btw any chance of Bryce McGain recovering from his surgery by the time this series starts, if he plays then that would surely lend a lot more variety to the Australian bowling attack.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As Prince said on current form maybe the South African bowling-attack could be rated as a tad better than the Aussie attack, but the Australian batting line-up is much, much better than the South African batting line-up with or without Symonds in there.

Btw any chance of Bryce McGain recovering from his surgery by the time this series starts, if he plays then that would surely lend a lot more variety to the Australian bowling attack.
He might be playing cricket by the time for the first Test starts (or he might not - they're still not exactly sure) but I don't think he'll be back in the reckoning for the Tests straight away - he needs to prove his fitness and I guess his form for Victoria.

Mister Wright

Kallis will be the key. I really can't see Australia's current bowling line-up really troubling him. He has done ok against the best and we have all seen what he does to mediocrity. He has a chance to really dominate, and when he does the Saffas feed off it. Get Kallis out early Australia are a big chance. If not - watch out!

Salamuddin

I still think RSA are going to have to play out of their skins to beat Australia.

Australia are still a very, very good team - look at the ongoing Delhi test. Personally reckon that pretty much every other test team in the world would have conceded a huge lead to India and probably lost the game.

I watched RSA play in India and England this year and personally, I don't believe they're good enough to beat Australia.
Australia's batting is better and I'm not sure RSA's bowling is all that superior to Australia's bowling, if at all.

Mister Wright

I still think RSA are going to have to play out of their skins to beat Australia.

Australia are still a very, very good team - look at the ongoing Delhi test. Personally reckon that pretty much every other test team in the world would have conceded a huge lead to India and probably lost the game.

I watched RSA play in India and England this year and personally, I don't believe they're good enough to beat Australia.
Australia's batting is better and I'm not sure RSA's bowling is all that superior to Australia's bowling, if at all.
The only reason India aren't in with a better chance than they are today is because Sharma dropped that catch. He takes it, and it's a whole new game.

Salamuddin

The only reason India aren't in with a better chance than they are today is because Sharma dropped that catch. He takes it, and it's a whole new game.
Possibly - they did bat with a lot of skill and determination nonetheless. Australia finished day 3 at 4-338. I fancy other sides would have lost a lot more wickets had they been in Australia's positions.

Mister Wright

Possibly - they did bat with a lot of skill and determination nonetheless. Australia finished day 3 at 4-338. I fancy other sides would have lost a lot more wickets had they been in Australia's positions.
Possibly. But I do remember N.Z. a few years back on a very similar pitch reach close to 600 or more.

Top_Cat

Kallis will be the key. I really can't see Australia's current bowling line-up really troubling him. He has done ok against the best and we have all seen what he does to mediocrity. He has a chance to really dominate, and when he does the Saffas feed off it. Get Kallis out early Australia are a big chance. If not - watch out!
You might be mistaking 2005 Kallis with current Kallis. Right now, he's barely hitting the ball off the square. From what I've seen of his recent play (when he's actually be out there), have seen very little to suggest he'll score well against Aus. Would be an amazing turn-around of form if he did.

Precambrian

Banned
AWTA. Kallis had a bad series against Eng, but I think he'll feel at home in the bat-friendly bouncy tracks. And he is not averagin under 30s for two years like Dravid.

chaminda_00

If Tahir plays for SA, then they probably have a better all round bowling attack.

If Jaques plays for Australia, then Australia probably have the better batting line up.

TT Boy

If Tahir plays for SA, then they probably have a better all round bowling attack.

If Jaques plays for Australia, then Australia probably have the better batting line up.
Tahir won't be available until April the 1st so he will only feature in the one day series between the two sides in the Republic.

Australia has undoubtedly the better batting line-up and I think in home conditions the better bowling attack.

krkode

Kallis' batting average against Australia is 38, compared to his career 55. :\

Sadly, South Africa's other major batsman, Smith, averages 22 against them. :|

Granted, this Aussie lineup no longer has McGrath or Warne or Gillespie, etc.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Do I see a presumption that Symonds will improve Australia's batting unit?

I have serious hopes that the SAfricans can cut his batting to shreds and make everyone wish so badly that Brad Hodge had been fit in December 2006.

iamdavid

Well Shane Watson is a better longer-form batsman than Symonds so Symonds absense is irrelevant....and Australia.