• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

iPod help

Barney Rubble

My iPod's not working. iTunes tells me when I connect my iPod that it "cannot read the contents", and my iPod doesn't show up in the iTunes source list, even though I'm advised to rectify the problem by selecting it from said source list and restoring the factory settings.

On closer inspection I've discovered that 988 of the 994 songs I had on my iPod have been erased (although my iTunes library is intact), and obviously I can't access it to put them back on, 'cause it's not in the source list.

I've tried reinstalling iTunes and my iPod, plus I've been through all the help topics on the Apple website and nothing seems to work. I just get the same "cannot read contents" message. :(

Can anyone help me out? I'd really rather not spend another £140 on a new iPod. :dry: Thanks, guys.

Matteh

Loads of people i know who had Ipods have had them seize up, have had them just show the apple symbol and so on.

PY

I have it, Barney, on the CD I got with my iPod.

Just been asked to update and thankfully, as I'd just read this....I rejected it. :D

pasag

RTDAS
Yeh I just got a new computer so it's lucky you posted, I would have downloaded the new one tonight.

Any ideas where I can get the one before this from? (CD version is a year old already).

Burpey

Barney Rubble said:
Yeah, I'm using that version. DAMMIT!!! :( Need to find a way of regressing back to iTunes 6.5....
You don't still have the installer for 6.5 on your computer?

Barney Rubble

PY said:
I have it, Barney, on the CD I got with my iPod.

Just been asked to update and thankfully, as I'd just read this....I rejected it. :D
Gah, the CD is back at home in my room, and I'm in Southampton. Will have to get my mum to send it to me. Are you sure the program itself lets you go back a version?

Barney Rubble

burkey_1988 said:
You don't still have the installer for 6.5 on your computer?
Well, technically I should do, but when you run iTunes Setup, doesn't it automatically run the latest update?

EDIT: I don't actually have it, when the Help section told me to reinstall iTunes I did so, and now it's gone, to be replaced with the 7.0 installer. :dry:

PY

Un-install it completely?

The version I have is 6.0.5, does that count as 6.5?

Barney Rubble

PY said:
Un-install it completely?

The version I have is 6.0.5, does that count as 6.5?
Nah, it doesn't. 6.5 was an update that came out in about March, 6.0.5 was the one I got on the CD when I bought my iPod in August 2005.

I already have uninstalled and reinstalled, but the trouble was the only version I could get without the CD was 7.0, and obviously I wasn't aware that it was 7.0 that was causing the problems.

PY

Go to the Apple forum, supposedly there is a thread there which talks about converting 7 back to 6.0.5 or something if you don't mind having the old one.

What's the difference between them because I don't use iTunes except for my iPod so not that fussed.

Barney Rubble

PY said:
Go to the Apple forum, supposedly there is a thread there which talks about converting 7 back to 6.0.5 or something if you don't mind having the old one.

What's the difference between them because I don't use iTunes except for my iPod so not that fussed.
I don't use it for anything else either, which is why I'm so damn annoyed about this. :laugh:

I've had a search through the Apple forum but there's so much stuff about iTunes 7 it's just not worth wading through. Will probably just get the CD sent to me, it only means 2 days or so without my iPod. Cheers for the help. :)

Barney Rubble

I've now found a place to download iTunes 6.0.5 from, I just need to uninstall my newer version before I can use it. Then I need to put all my songs back on my iPod....:dry:

Linda

Do you reckon itunes updates are worth it? Ive never downloaded any because I barely know how to use it except putting songs onto the ipod.
Also, my connection is the slowest known to man.. I avoid all downloads if possible.

Barney Rubble

Linda said:
Do you reckon itunes updates are worth it? Ive never downloaded any because I barely know how to use it except putting songs onto the ipod.
Also, my connection is the slowest known to man.. I avoid all downloads if possible.
If you don't actually use the Music Store then there's not really any reason to update, tbh.