• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is it too late at 20 years old to learn how to bowl spin?

chaminda_00

From what I've read Murali, Mendis, Vettori, Warne and Kumble all started off as medium pacers and become spinners in their early teens or even late teens. So it is quite common for players to start bowling spin at fairly late stages in their development.

You also have the explain of Colin Miller who became a spinner in his late 20s and played Tests for Australia as a spinner and was quite effective.

Bees

Cheers for your replies, folks!

My interest in spin bowling is not because of a solitary passion for that particular artform, but I'd love to have some utility to play some friendly amateur cricket, and that style to me seems more in my ballpark than pace bowling.

I've picked up a fair few books here and there so I'm going to be reading them... I've got the MCC Coaching Book, Alec Bedser's Bowling, Bradman's book on batting, Slater's instructional book.

Will be going to the nets with mates and giving it a go. Will probably have to be going a fair bit by myself though, just to give myself all the time I need to get the fundamentals to a accomplished beginner's level.

It's never too late mate, at least not until it's dangerous to your health or your dead!

Start practicing in the nets, and join a team, either this season or next. If you play lower grades, some stay there till up to 70, if their body lets them.

Look at some stuff on the net, and talk to a coach and other players, and practice as hard as you can.
There's no shortage of players who've become spinners (some having not even been bowlers) in their mid-20s and even 30s. And of course, anyone can bowl spin, but like bowling seam, getting good is a different matter entirely.

That said, if you actually wanted serious response (most of which hasn't been forthcoming here), CF rather than CC would be a better place for this thread.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
At the end of the day, if you want to get good at cricket, you have to do a hell of a lot of self-teaching. Others can help, whether via written words or first-hand observations, but at the end of the day the only player who can improve himself is himself.

zaremba

At the end of the day, if you want to get good at cricket, you have to do a hell of a lot of self-teaching. Others can help, whether via written words or first-hand observations, but at the end of the day the only player who can improve himself is himself.
Is that twice at the end of one day, or at the ends of two different days?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
At the end of every day, ITBT. Cricket - and bowling especially - is something that demands constant brooding on the subject.

(I did notice I'd used it twice BTW and did think about changing it, but CBA.)

anoop4real

Cheers for your replies, folks!

My interest in spin bowling is not because of a solitary passion for that particular artform, but I'd love to have some utility to play some friendly amateur cricket, and that style to me seems more in my ballpark than pace bowling.

I've picked up a fair few books here and there so I'm going to be reading them... I've got the MCC Coaching Book, Alec Bedser's Bowling, Bradman's book on batting, Slater's instructional book.

Will be going to the nets with mates and giving it a go. Will probably have to be going a fair bit by myself though, just to give myself all the time I need to get the fundamentals to a accomplished beginner's level.
I havent learned cricket by reading books, still I play quite good cricket..... I would advise to learn it by playing and trying your own stuffs..........and I do feel that no body in India requires a special training to learn basics of cricket....it there in them by birth :)