• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lunatics writing in to the newspaper

16 tins of Spam

I'm a big fan of the letters section of the daily newspaper, and it's one of the first parts I read every day. Sometimes, when we're really lucky a true, Grade A nutter will write in with an epistle of tripe so idiotic, you'll wonder if he hasn't just smeared a bit of his brain onto some paper and mailed it in. I post one from today's edition of my local paper, the Dominion Post. Enjoy...

Rubbish new metal coins

I read that $77 million in coins is supposedly missing. Probably many New Zealanders, like me, are refusing to surrender these high-value coins in exchange for the low-value, lightweight rubbish metal coins our thieving Government is giving in return.

Some like me will remember the blatant theft committed by the Nazis, who stole our good silver coins to replace with worthless metal substitutes in Europe during World War II. They were convicted of war crimes.

Since time immemorial, the crime of "clipping" money has been punished by boiling the offenders in oil.

Now we find our own Government - in peacetime - stooping so low as to steal from it's own people. Shame on it - might it's minister boil in oil.

Johannes Lindeman
Taupo
Now, for the life of me I can't find any irony in that. I think he means it. Anyone else got some doozies to post?

Matteh

Someone wrote into my local paper bemoaning about the quality of ******s and that he remembered the best were by this company but he hadn't found them in years. All in all it was hilarious to us as immature year 9s.

Goughy

Mundane Yogi said:
I'm a big fan of the letters section of the daily newspaper, and it's one of the first parts I read every day. Sometimes, when we're really lucky a true, Grade A nutter will write in with an epistle of tripe so idiotic, you'll wonder if he hasn't just smeared a bit of his brain onto some paper and mailed it in. I post one from today's edition of my local paper, the Dominion Post. Enjoy...

Now, for the life of me I can't find any irony in that. I think he means it. Anyone else got some doozies to post?
Very funny.

You have to love the logic that some people use. :laugh:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Mundane Yogi said:

Amused me, massively. Brilliant!

Dasa

I find the letters in the local (free) newspapers quite amusing myself. There's invariably at least one letter complaining about "Hong Kong style" development because the letter-writer doesn't want any building over two stories next to them.

Sir Redman

Mundane Yogi said:

:laugh:

That's brilliant. I've seen a few crackers in the New Zealand Herald over the last few years too. I can't get hold of the actual letter, but I remember one in particular from a few years ago. Background as follows: Astronomers had announced that one weekend a large asteroid had passed extremely close to the Earth (relatively speaking, of course). As a comparison, they said that it had missed us by "only five hours" rather than giving a relatively meaningless distance. Anyway, that weekend some genius wrote in with something along the lines of this:

I was shocked to read in the Herald yesterday about an asteroid that passed withing just five hours of the Earth. This got me thinking: if Daylight Saving had been in effect at this time, then it would have missed us by only four hours. Daylight Saving is placing us in extreme danger! It is just a matter of time before this crazy idea of winding the clock forward causes a disastrous collision. We must scrap this immediately before it is too late.

A.N Idiot
Moronsville
And yes, the letter was dead serious.

Sir Redman

pasag said:
I don't get people writing letters to the newspaper. Its so pointless.
The same could be said about posting in cricket forums. Or anything really, apart from food/shelter/sport.

Kweek

Sir Redman said:
:laugh:

That's brilliant. I've seen a few crackers in the New Zealand Herald over the last few years too. I can't get hold of the actual letter, but I remember one in particular from a few years ago. Background as follows: Astronomers had announced that one weekend a large asteroid had passed extremely close to the Earth (relatively speaking, of course). As a comparison, they said that it had missed us by "only five hours" rather than giving a relatively meaningless distance. Anyway, that weekend some genius wrote in with something along the lines of this:

hahahahahah :laugh: thats brilliant :D

pasag

RTDAS
Sir Redman said:
The same could be said about posting in cricket forums. Or anything really, apart from food/shelter/sport.
But the people who write in think they are contributing and making a change. They aren't.

16 tins of Spam

Sir Redman said:

:laugh: Love it! Particularly liked A.N. Idiot, Moronsville.