• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Ramprakash

tooextracool

This is all true and I do agree that Trott does have more to worry about that Ramps in terms of his future but surley if Ramps was to play and do well then he would have to be considered for South Africa?
Not really, with Pietersen probably returning, selectors can quite easily look to the future and pick Bopara/Joyce, Pietersen, Trott, Collingwood, Prior as the middle order for the tour of SA if they wanted to.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves though, he needs to get picked first, then he needs to score and then England need to win the match for him to even be considered for the tour of SA.

aussie

Not really, with Pietersen probably returning, selectors can quite easily look to the future and pick Bopara/Joyce, Pietersen, Trott, Collingwood, Prior as the middle order for the tour of SA if they wanted to.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves though, he needs to get picked first, then he needs to score and then England need to win the match for him to even be considered for the tour of SA.
They can easily not pick for SA, presuming he gets picked for the Oval test. Just have to do what they did with Bicknell in 2003, simple horses for courses selection say thank you at the end & let him go.

Pothas

I know this all hypothetical and the chances are he wont even play but if Ramps dis do well then why not take him to South Africa? In regards to his age are couple of months really going to make any difference? Picking a player simply for one match and not considering him again regardless of his performance seems illogical to me.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
If Ramps plays, he'll definately score for mine. Want him to play 'cause he's a champ, but I don't because he's good.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Thats exactly the problem though. Why are we lauding 50s? Ok credit to him for his performance in the first test for batting as long as he did, but the bottom line is that 50s on flat pitches dont mean anything other than failure for not going on to carry on. Collingwood bats in the top 5, there is no excuse for not scoring 100s when you have the chance to cash in on flat batting strips against mediocre bowling. None whatsoever.
Completely agree actually, I was simply contesting the point that he hasn't looked like scoring anything

zaremba

Thats exactly the problem though. Why are we lauding 50s? Ok credit to him for his performance in the first test for batting as long as he did, but the bottom line is that 50s on flat pitches dont mean anything other than failure for not going on to carry on. Collingwood bats in the top 5, there is no excuse for not scoring 100s when you have the chance to cash in on flat batting strips against mediocre bowling. None whatsoever.
A bit harsh given that one of his 50s (2nd dig at Cardiff) was an outstanding rearguard which saved the Test.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I know this all hypothetical and the chances are he wont even play but if Ramps dis do well then why not take him to South Africa? In regards to his age are couple of months really going to make any difference? Picking a player simply for one match and not considering him again regardless of his performance seems illogical to me.
Fair point. Whilst I advocate Ramps playing at The Oval, whether he should be retained after that is more debateable.

What I will say tho is that the fire still burns brightly with Ramprakash, you could see in his interview with Wardy on Sky last night that he thinks he should play and that he though he should've toured Sri Lanka in 07/08 too. As soon as Vaughan and Thorpe (& I love both men to bits) were on the outers with the test selectors they gave it away. Ramps (5 years Mick's senior & the same age as Thorpey, more or less) has been toiling away on the county scene for 7 years. In all equity, to do my Johnnie Cochran bit, if he plays & make a score, he must tour.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
True, although even with that hundred, Warne managed to goad Ramprakash into getting stumped IIRC. When England were in sight of saving the follow-on.
TBH, it was more a case of Ramprakash having insufficient trust in the ability of Caddick and Gough to last very long and thinking that the only chance of England saving said follow-on was for him to go on the offensive.

Burgey

What do you expect? They gave the **** an MBE for making 6 at The Oval four years ago. He probably thinks a few 50s get him a Knighthood.

tooextracool

Because it's time to look to the future. If Ramps was considered a couple of years ago, I would have said ok, he might still play for a few more years but realistically if England want to start building a good team they need to start by bringing in some new blood and testing them out. I don't see the point in having him hang around for one series when England have the opportunity to brood new players and try to find someone who can potentially have a longer and more successful career.

Last edited:

tooextracool

A bit harsh given that one of his 50s (2nd dig at Cardiff) was an outstanding rearguard which saved the Test.
Say whatever you want about it, but the bottom line is that the Australians have gone past 50 18 times and converted 7 of them into centuries while the England batsmen have gone past 50 14 times this series only to convert it to a 100 once. And Collingwood has played a major part in this.

At the end of the day that is not good enough. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think its a disgrace that batsmen even bother to raise their bats for a 50. Why? Its a job half done at best. Its like celebrating half year anniversaries.

Uppercut

Because it's time to look to the future. If Ramps was considered a couple of years ago, I would have said ok, he might still play for a few more years but realistically if England want to start building a good team they need to start by bringing in some new build and testing them out. I don't see the point in having him hang around for one series when England have the opportunity to brood new players and try to find someone who can potentially have a longer and more successful career.
Nobody gives a **** about the future when the game in question is the deciding test in an Ashes series. All you have to ask yourself is which player is most likely to score runs in this one-off match. Is it Ramps? For me, it's probably not, so I suppose I agree with your conclusion. Key is probably the option for me.

tooextracool

Nobody gives a **** about the future when the game in question is the deciding test in an Ashes series. All you have to ask yourself is which player is most likely to score runs in this one-off match. Is it Ramps? For me, it's probably not, so I suppose I agree with your conclusion. Key is probably the option for me.
Err, I've been advocating Ramps to play in this series since Lords, let alone the deciding test at the Oval. I think you misread my post, what I was trying to say was that he shouldn't tour South Africa.

zaremba

Say whatever you want about it, but the bottom line is that the Australians have gone past 50 18 times and converted 7 of them into centuries while the England batsmen have gone past 50 14 times this series only to convert it to a 100 once. And Collingwood has played a major part in this.

At the end of the day that is not good enough. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think its a disgrace that batsmen even bother to raise their bats for a 50. Why? Its a job half done at best. Its like celebrating half year anniversaries.
I see what you're saying but I think you're taking an extreme position.

A batsman who gets to 50 ought to be allowed a little round of applause. As someone who's scored one half century in his life, I'd fight for that right (and I was gutted to narrowly miss this modest landmark on a few other occasions). But it's wrong to over-celebrate - ask Usman Afzaal.

It can be argued this whole numerical fascism is a bit misguided. Very often a batsman ought to regard even a century as a job half done. And sometimes 30 runs, or even 10, can be vital. In Collingwood's case, his 50 in the first innings at Cardiff could be criticised as a failure to kick on, but his 50 in the second innings was a vital innings that used up loads of time and got England close to the point where (crucially) they made Australia bat again. And his 10 runs at the Oval in 2005 were very important to us saving that game. And so saying that a 50 is a failure and a century is a success is an oversimplification that owes more to a fixation with numbers than to an analysis of the reality of the game. I heard about one (doubtless quite tedious) individual who always applauded a batsman when he reached 99 (and not when he then reached 100) to make this kind of point.

Last edited:

andyc

If Ramps was such a nervous wreck, how on earth did he win Strictly come Dancing?
:laugh:

Quite like the idea of picking players based on their performances on reality TV shows. Part of the Australian selection process should definitely involve an audition for Australian Idol. Choosing 'Howzat' or 'Dreadlock Holiday' not compulsory, but recommended.

tooextracool

I see what you're saying but I think you're taking an extreme position.

A batsman who gets to 50 ought to be allowed a little round of applause. As someone who's scored one half century in his life, I'd fight for that right (and I was gutted to narrowly miss this modest landmark on a few other occasions). But it's wrong to over-celebrate - ask Usman Afzaal.

It can be argued this whole numerical fascism is a bit misguided. Very often a batsman ought to regard even a century as a job half done. And sometimes 30 runs, or even 10, can be vital. In Collingwood's case, his 50 in the first innings at Cardiff could be criticised as a failure to kick on, but his 50 in the second innings was a vital innings that used up loads of time and got England close to the point where (crucially) they made Australia bat again. And his 10 runs at the Oval in 2005 were very important to us saving that game. And so saying that a 50 is a failure and a century is a success is an oversimplification that owes more to a fixation with numbers than to an analysis of the reality of the game.
Yes I agree with you. However, when you look at the course of someone's overall career, you can make a general assessment based on their conversion rate whether they have wasted opportunities or not. Because match-winning/saving 30s and 50s are generally a rarity. Which is why when you look at Butcher's career you can tell that he was often quite wasteful of his starts based on his 50/100 ratio even though he scored many vital 50s (such as in the WI in 2003/04).

With regards to Collingwood, I prefer to look at his performance at Cardiff in the 2nd dig, as I do in any match-saving performance, in terms of number of balls faced rather than number of runs scored. Hence his 74 runs are irrelevant, but his 245 balls (which is more than anyone on either side except for Katich) provides a better indication of his performance. However, his other 2 50s should have been converted and they weren't so there is no reason to give him kudos for that.

Regarding the appropriate celebrations, I'm not sure if your situation is comparable with that of an international cricketer. I am not sure what level of cricket you play, but I am sure a 50 scored at your level is more of a rarity than at the international level and means far more to the side that you play for than it would for an England side ceteris paribus. Crowds in England applaud every run, crowds elsewhere applaud boundaries and crowds in India go into a frenzy when someone hits a six. That doesn't mean you raise your bat for any of those scenarios. I do not see the point of raising your bat for a 50, even if there are occasions when they are useful. As a general rule though exactly 50 out, is more often than not not good enough in international cricket whereas 100 out is.

Scaly piscine

If Ramps was such a nervous wreck, how on earth did he win Strictly come Dancing?
Because those are two completely different situations. Batting is very psychological, dancing on TV isn't. You can get nerves from being on TV, but those fade - I know I've been on TV, live radio etc. enough times. In cricket you may get nerves from playing in front of a big crowd or whatever and they fade just the same, but it's not these sorts of nerves that cause Ramprakash to underperform. It's more complex and psychological than that.