• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali to be Australia spin coach

pup11

The thing is Murali is not just a great...apart from Warne you have to go back decades to get spinners anywhere near his talent. He is so far ahead of the curve that he's bound to teach something most spinners simply couldn't dream of understanding without his input.
Murali is great no doubt but its his unique action that made him special, now there is no way he could pass that on to a young rookie. Murali might tell a young spinner ways to work over a batsman and how to remain positive and comeback after getting flogged, but those are tips that are only likely to work a bowler who has got some skills.

The problem is the next-gen Australian spinners are being taught by blokes like Davison who was nothing more than a part-time spinner, so its obvious why the spin cupboard is looking so bare atm and therefore a pep-talk from a Murali or Warne isn't going to prove of any use, until proper spin bowling skills are taught to these young aspiring spinners.

Ikki

TBF, it seems you are implying that all Murali had to him was his action. I think that is selling him way short. You're right, the mechanics are important but it's not like he is teaching you or I how to be a Test standard spinner.

Last edited:

zorax

likes this
I don't think you need to be a great spinner to teach the skills to a youngster.

The inherant talent in a spinner, IMO, is in the ability to spin the ball. Large hands, strong fingers/shoulders, supple wrists. You can't coach those.

But once a spinner has those qualities, he needs to be coached into using them right. Be taught how to make the most out of them. Stuff like optimising his action (not changing it) so that he releases the ball faster and with more spin, showing them the grips for variations, those are the technical things that can be taught by nearly anyone who has an understanding of spin bowling and the mechanics behind it; regardless of how succesful they were themselves at their level.

What makes a skillful spinner into an effective, and match winning one, is teaching them how to use these skills. That's where a guy like Murali is so brilliant. Teaching a young spinner how to read a batsman, encouraging them to experiment with their angles and flight, giving them a list of basic bowling plans to set up batsmen and giving them the inspiration to create their own traps. That is key.

But just as important as the knowledge, is the opportunity to try it out. Net practice is great for spinners, and more effective for them than fast bowlers IMO, because it allows them to keep bowling their variations and from different angles till they master all of them, and have the control they desire. But it's still no comparison for actually bowling in a match.

Because what seperates a good spinner from a great one is not the skills, but knowing how to use them in the context of a match. A lot of spinners in FC cricket around the world can spin the ball big, bowl a topspinner/googly/slider, land the ball where they want to most of the time. But not many of them know how to react after a batsman has hit them for a few big shots, or when their basic bowling plans have been worked out.

pup11

TBF, it seems you are implying that all Murali had to him was his action. I think that is selling him way short. You're right, the mechanics are important but it's not like he is teaching you or I how to be a Test standard spinner.
The sad thing is the average aspiring Aussie spinner doesn't seem a whole lot better than you or me.

A great spinner like Murali knows a lot of tricks of the trade, but as I said what worked for Murali certainly won't work for a Hauritz, Lyon or Krezja because Murali is nothing like these guys.

Bringing in someone like Murali can do a lot of good only if you are ready to implement the ideas he brings to the table, but can't see that happening until the general bullish attitude of spin coaches around Australia changes.